One Fender To Rule Them All!!!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by blueruins, Aug 3, 2021.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

By the way, what ever happened to the tweed Bassman? When I started playing, that was considered the gold standard in awesome Fender tone. Now they seem to be almost forgotten.

blueruins and stiv like this.
  2. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    blueruins likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Probably the fact that it’s not exactly easy to travel with and that 40w are a lot for a non master amp just pushed it lower on a Fender must-have-amp list. Also a Black or Silver face have great reverb and tremolo, Bassman don’t.
    I still love it a lot though. One of these days I’ll bring one home with me.

blueruins likes this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm sure you're right. But the irony of that statement, is that the tweed Bassman was the small option in its heyday of popularity 20-30 years ago, in the age of full stacks.

new6659 likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tone King Imperial Mark II. 2 channels, clean side is blackface - lots of headroom. Dirty side is tweed-inspired but without the fart. Add good reverb and amazing bias trem (imo superior for when you're not strumming chords - prevents your attack from being muted by the trem). Then add a well-matched attenuator that can be used for both channels or just the dirty side. You can have clean and a dirty/crunchy channel at any volume from conversation level up to playing with a drummer.

PS - They are not 100% hand-wired, but hand-built in USA with some PCBs as far as I know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    its because they stacked al 4 speakers on each other, too tall to carry down and up stairs. They should all be in a line, horizontally. the wide low cab
    [​IMG]

Robbie, stiv and blueruins like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Pretty cool…I’m even more impressed with the sound of that PRS!

Henry likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal. Use any amp you can find that can play clean at the volume you need, including solid state(!). Some players use this pedal to go direct to a PA system at a gig (which is solid state).

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was going to return my 68 CDR to stock and sell it, but instead it’s been gutted and being turned into a hand-wired custom amp by a tech friend of mine. Basically a 60’s Deluxe Reverb but with Valco style bias tremolo.
    I’m keeping the different tone stack on the first channel.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Henry, what speaker are you using in it? I've tried a bunch and can't seem to find one that spins my dials.

Henry likes this.
  11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I really liked the 1028K in the amp and for a while, I had two Eminence Copperheads in it that were pretty sweet but the Jensens knocked my socks off. It's hard to get a bad sound with these amps

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I am blessed to have three, a 1961 Vibrolux (single 12"), a 1967 transitional drip edge (blackface guts in a silverface cabinet) and the '68 Custom. All three are tone monsters and with the speakers aforementioned the '68 Custom is as good as the 1967.

blueruins likes this.
  13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    @rcboals I’m thinking I might try the BandMaster first since they’re more affordable. Plus, my preference is for 2x12’s. And a head would afford more flexibility.
    If that doesn’t cut it a Vibrolux or Tremolux is the next step.
    I actually used to own a Blackface Bandmaster when I was a kid but traded it for a MusicMan combo. Somehow I couldn’t get a good sound out of it running cheap generic speakers out of a carpet covered cab?

14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    It happened the same to me with a 60s Concert head. It had a non original power transformer and although I ran it trough different speakers configuration, I've never been able to like it the way I did with my Bassman Reissue.
    Maybe it's karma. :)

blueruins likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't mod any amps, that's one rabbit hole I am avoiding. However, my next amp will probably be a custom build.

Which reminds me of another Fenderish option, deLisle quadralux reverb:

https://www.delisleguitar.com/shop/de-lisle-quadralux-reverb-amplifier/

blueruins likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My custom amp was finished today.
    Will post a NAD thread once I get my eager mitts on it.
    9B58212D-A941-4916-A77D-B5AE26051CD8.jpeg
    Formally a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
    Now it’s a handwired Arkham Deluxe Reverb/Vibroverb hybrid with Valco style swampy bias tremolo.
    I cannot WAIT!!!

Top pic is the new handwired board
    Bottom is the stock PCB
    2E0F7AC0-BD92-46B6-BB44-27660E5372F0.jpeg

Archtops, Trash Kidd, Henry and 5 others like this.
  17. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Deluxe Reverb. I love my Princeton but forget about playing clean with a drummer.

blueruins likes this.
  18. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I owned a 65 Deluxe Reverb and that’s a bloody brilliant amp.
    I second this…
    No chance is the tone master as good as an actual DR RI

I think some of them digital modelling amp sound decent same as some of the black star stuff it’s passable and sounds good but it’s not as good or better than an actual 65 deluxe reverb

I owned a 65 DR and really liked it’s probably the only fender I would buy again as I’m more of a Vox guy

blueruins likes this.
  19. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    Very nice

blueruins and calebaaron666 like this.
  20. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

If the question was "what pedal can approximate a multitude of Fender tones?" Then, yes "Get a Joyo American Sound pedal."

I've been trying to kick mine off my board for years, but every time I A/B it against (blues driver, soul food, rook, etc.) It's won its place fair and square. It's definitely the cheapest pedal ($25 used) and amortized it's coming out at much less than a penny an hour.

That being said, it's no tube amp. Good luck on your search! Best wishes.

Henry, Groutsch and blueruins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.