Old Show

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, this evening I bought the first season of Maverick. I just finished the first episode and realized just how much I loved that show and still do. There is no substitute for good writing. I remember some shows I watched in the 80's and 70's and have since revisited and some were still good to me and some I could not figure out what I saw in them. Like MASH Maverick is a keeper and for SciFi fun I still love Buck Rogers sill 80's show but I still like it. Some episodes more than others they did tend to slide in quality over time.

Jeff67 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Twilight Zone. Best ever. Been a fan since 1959.
    Addams Family, too.
    M*A*S*H---lasted three times longer than the war it portrayed. I'm a fan, but the one thing I noticed that was missing was a Top Sergeant. Every unit in the US Army has at least a 6 striper running things, except in this show. The military relies on it's non coms. The highest regular NCO in the 4055 was Zale---a Staff Sergeant, and hardly one to lead the rest of the enlisted men.

Jeff67, MrWookiee and pmac11 like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota

After my time in the Marones active duty that part of the show made more sense. They in my mind were poking fun at staff NCO and Senior Staff NCO. Always in meetings pushing paperwork but everything was accomplished by the corporals and some sergeants. I can’t count the number of times a senior enlisted or usually officer caller our shop and told the Gunny or staff they wanted me or my roommate. One confronted a Major once and asked why his reply was they will get it done while you think about it and worry about procedure. NCOs just had a network of loopholes we kept alive to get things done. It worked without much of the red tape up front. Later on you made it work out in the paper work.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Friends is about as far back as I can go without getting totally bored. Although Twilight Zone marathons are cool to have on since the kids havent really seen many of them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Junior NCOs did most of the work in the AF as well. My point was that MASH didn't have a top sergeant to ramrod everything (like EVERY unit in every military worldwide), and it would've been a great comedy foil.

As far as old TV shows go, we had one of the first TVs in town, around '52 or so. My Dad was one of the first TV repairmen in town. We started with three Chicago stations and one local UHF station. As we lived close to the airport, planes coming in from Chicago would screw up the signal often. I don't remember too much of it, but much of our extended family would show up to watch Uncle Miltie (Milton Berle) and other shows. Commercials would last five minutes, and there were tons of "amateur hour" type shows---like The Voice, or America's Got Talent. TV would shut down around 11PM with the National Anthem, then the all night test pattern. Things now have color, and better production values, but the content is similar still. Hell, I Love Lucy is still on the air (Thanks, Paul Hogan!). By the late '50s, we got 5 stations out of Chicago, four locally, and with the antenna amp and rotor, we'd get a few out of Michigan. By the time my Dad had passed, Mom sold the house and got an apartment. She had cable---about fifteen stations. The "weather" was just a rotating clock, thermometer, wind speed and direction.

You kids don't know how good you've got it. 57 channels and nothing's on.

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Old shows .....to many great ones to mention . I liked the 70 / 80's comedy . Benson , SOAP , Barney Miller , Night Court and so on . Later on , Frasier was one of the best comedy written , won best comedy I think 4 years in a row , excellent writers for that show .

Cable TV : Larry's Country Diner , The Man Show , and The Joey & Rory Show were among my favorite

Now : All I watch .....every night .... a few episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond . ( wife says I'm Raymond :D )

5120mantis likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You had more channels then I did! We could hear more than see two and two came in clearly. Dad put the antenna in the garage so you couldn’t adjust it. This was in the early 70’s and 80’s. When people stated getting cable I was getting four channels. Cable wouldn’t come out where we lived. I didn’t see MTV which everyone watched, until high school when I stopped at a friends house. Needless to say other than classics like Lucy, the Waltons, Little house in the prairie and a bunch a thunder mentioned that was all I ever saw.

8. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    300px-MASH_TV_Cast_1972.jpg Dukes_of_Hazzard.jpg 484821eb8005090e7d277fa9148be6c7.jpg
    What's happening! Was a fun show, CHIPS, Emergency, Seinfeld(is that an old show?)
    The Drew Carey Show ( which is not on the air around here)

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You do realize that now there are hundreds of channels and still nothing on? I have satellite now and the only person who watches it is Grandma. The only reason I keep it is for Grandma. but 110$ a month is an absolute ripoff. I have to keep grandma happy.

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The Outer Limits is another good'un.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's right up there with "Beyond Our Control". Gotta add in "Alfred Hitchcock" as well. Many of these shows featured up and coming new talent that went on to greater things.

MrWookiee and Bertotti like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We were lucky. We lived across the Lake from Chicago, and in a big enough city that we had a total of five stations of our own, (one being the first UHF station in the country) and could catch many Michigan stations under the right conditions. As my Dad was a TV repair guy, we proudly had the huge Finco bedspring antenna on a tower behind our house. With the rotor and signal amp, we got quite a few stations. Being on high ground helped.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    "Married...with children" has always been a good laugh. upload_2020-10-22_19-43-32.jpeg

MrWookiee, Bertotti and 5120mantis like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Strange I know, I just can’t watch old TV shows. There were ones I liked.

Johnny Yuma, Rawhide, wanted dead or alive and Have Gun will travel were some favorites but I don’t have the patience to watch them now.

94C942F8-4700-4679-BB2D-842371FB7631.jpeg BEE0E2D3-9ABE-41F5-AAA8-B033E6C090C7.jpeg B38574D6-228F-4657-BE7A-530A8CFE8540.jpeg
    46E77E78-FBE5-42C5-A6E0-6FBE3716B1CC.jpeg

MrWookiee, 5120mantis and Bertotti like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    radd likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That, and "Malcolm in the Middle".

17. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I can watch them every night on Dish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.