old scam is back

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Noticed them. There is a rise in these calls,
    designed to instill anxiety & grab your money.

Some are neighborhood-kids-pulling-a-prank dumb & some are sophisticated manipulations. They get away with it because no one regulates stuff like this too well.

Its nearly always a telemarketing call pit & the callers are working from a script.
    In fact, I know someone who admitted to having worked those phone calls to solicit $ and business. (they always tell you AFTER they leave the job).

The caller pretends to be using the callers’ own words, i.e.,: “Oh. I’m so glad you picked up. I was just switching to my ‘leave a message’ voice.” Police ‘representatives’ seem to love that one trying to gain your “donation.” It makes the recipient sit up straight to hear it is the police or feds & sometimes the scripts are well honed.

It might even BE the cops looking for money. But the whole gaming you is dishonest. They make commissions on sales. (What happened to salaries?)

Had the exact same one come in 4 times in as many weeks & always
    the same opening line to ingratiate themselves—no matter if it was picked up the first ring or tenth.

Anybody you don’t know calls you — could be a conjob.
    If anyone calls you sounding vaguely like its someone you know, but the line is bad & needs money, but depends on YOU to provide details to identify THEM: its a scam.

TO SWINDLE YOU.

There is no value in tipping them off by getting in their face, you only help debug their faulty script or approach. I even hesitate to write details & tells of the ones I’ve heard, because it will only make the most inept crooks “smarter.”

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Cold calls are there to get your cash as much as an outright crook.
    The same guy “who lives just up the street” & wants to sell you services.

If he lives 2 blocks over— he could have knocked your door.

This is about bottom line percentages, even if its a legit lawn service:
    The longer they can keep you on the line after the initial intro—the better a prospect you are going to be gullible in the future — in a call back.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    wabash slim likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As Agent Fox Muldar taught us---"Trust No One!"

Runamok likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I find I get fewer call backs if I waste their time by entertaining myself.

Runamok likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That didn't work for me. I got calls from the same guy after I harassed him every week. He just wouldn't (or couldn't) learn. The robots don't care. The calls begging for money for the local police fund by non cops from other states recall every few months. We dumped our landline. The scammers were pretty much the only ones that called. I miss the fun of screwing with them.

6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, we did exactly the same thing - I was paying $8 a month to receive nothing but spam and scam. I get a few now on my mobile though. My friend got a scary one - they called and named his daughter and said she had an outstanding warrant and that if he would meet them somewhere and pay the fine, she wouldn't be thrown in jail. Of course it was after the courthouse was closed and of course they made it sound really official and dire. He played along for long enough to verify that it was garbage.

The auto warranty folks called me twice and after they finally wrote "Aston Martin, do not call" next to my name - they haven't called since. I think I'll be the proud owner of a new Koenigsegg if they call again.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If they tell you to pay the kid's bail/fine in gift cards, it's bogus.
    If their accent is Indian, but they say their name is Duane, it's bogus.
    If they claim to be from the government on a call, it's bogus. The gov't. will write, not call.
    If I got that call about my daughter, tell them it's her problem, not mine.
    I actually got one of those bail me out calls from a "grandson". He was seven at the time and sitting across the table from me.
    I love the calls from someone that had my name referred to them by a "medical professional". Please give me your name and the so-called professional's so I can turn them into the Feds for violating the HIPPA laws. What makes you think I need a knee and back brace?

MotorCentaur likes this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I just dare them to make one of those calls to me. I'll string them along like you wouldn't believe.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    There is a nonscam call I get now and then from someplace collecting data on vaccinations for the kids for the gov and CDC. I tell them no one time the guy goes out on a limb and says this is for the government do you really want to refuse a government request. I said absolutely last time I checked this was the USA and as far as I'm concerned it was none of their business. Ironically enough he weathered the entire reaming I provided. Didn't stop them from calling my wife but I was home and she handed me the phone. Rinse repeat no return calls since.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  10. manunk

manunk Gretschie

Actually the government - Canada Revenue Agency at least, does call on collection or other tax matters although sometimes a letter is issued first. I worked for CRA, called home numbers often. 99.9 % of the time the individuals believed me when I said I was a CRA employee.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The last time I answered a government "request" I ended up being shot at by people in a jungle.

12. OK, I’ll bite: You say its real. How do you know it is NOT a scam?

If real, might be useful for statistics.
    But I doubt it is just because the caller said so. I wouldn’t comply.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I checked because at first I thought scam as well but found references online about it but that it wasn’t mandatory and even if the gov said it was I wouldn’t do it. None of their business.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sticks and stones are always preceded by words. Always. Words have meaning and power. Look what happened in Atlanta and is happening in my state. You can definitely go to jail for "just words" too.

For every Avocado toast eating millenial there is a non hipster spending / wasting money on beer, football tickets, cars, guitars. the reality is people want to pick on the "out" group so they can feel snug in their "in" group, let's not pretend the comment comes from some sort of compassion or concern about their financial situation. That's just BS.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sounds like BS to me

16. A b
    How is this illegal?

Need to address how we went from “do not call” lists on landlines,
    to instant access of a cell phone at any moment of the day or night.

Getting a flurry of anxiety-inducing sales texts, because you know — businesses need to let you know they have a sale going 3 times a week.

People give the number freely, to every promotion under the sun. Friends & acquaintances’ contact lists. It is our own eagerness, in part.

17. Berto, you mostly just said you did verify it again.
    I’m trying to ascertain what verified its authenticity.

Its not clear what your call was about to begin with. Do you live on Walton’s Mountain, or something? Hill Country? I mean: don’t kids need vax certification for school?

Should one be mad because it was a scam call, or real?

And I’m confused about avocado toast.
    No one has ever called me about avocado toast.

Not clear what requested information was, by whom & what you are saying is not the government’s business. So, I can’t really agree or disagree, because I can’t make sense of how they intersect. There are some things presumed intrusion, which may not be & are beneficial to public health, as far as collecting statistics to our benefit.

If it was a phone survey, I doubt it is authentic.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Avocado was a digression about something else posted.
    Kids are required to get certain vaccines for school and I would rather be on Waltons mountain, I love mountains and woods, but I live on the prairie, I verified by checking online with other posters thinking it was a scam as well. It turned out it was a contracted process by the CDC to collect the data. My point is since the schools already require it they would be better served using that data to get vaccine info because even though it seemed a legit call there was no way I would provide any personal data over a phone, and other than required vacs it was none of their business as far as I am concerned to start with. I mentioned because I thought it was a scam some searching showed there was a legitimate census for such info going on and I sure as heck wasn't participating and to be safe I never give that data over the phone. etc as I mentioned several times now. And how am I to be sure it wasn't a scammer tagging onto something legit just to phish? I don't know.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ignoring do not call lists to commit fraud.... Beyond that harassment.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You can put your number on a do not call list but if you give it to any merchant who shares that list I believe it negates the fact that you previously put it on a do not call list. I didn't start getting any of those calls again until I shared my number with a merchant which I was very careful not to do then forgot. I had a year and a half of no calls it was nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.