old scam is back

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Mar 25, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yes, or "The Canada Tax Collection and Revenue Department" that informs you that your Social Insurance Number has been put on hold pending civil and criminal actions.

new6659 and Tony65x55 like this.
  2. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Enough that they keep doing it.

3. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

But how is that warranty on your vehicle? Our records indicate that it is about to expire...

MotorCentaur likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    So not those people. Fine line between scam and cold calling for a living. But you're probably right - mostly scammers.

unbridled likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Even non scamming cold callers are annoying. If I want your product, I'll call the shop. Calling me is an intrusion on my privacy. Why someone is worried about the warranty on a car I haven't owned in 12 years is beyond comprehension. I told the same local outfit three years running that I don't want their lawn care service, mainly because it did no good the one year I had it.

6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yes, still annoying and why I'm willing to have a little fun with them.

I'm not sure why they want to sell me a warranty for my 2019 Koenigsegg. It's not out of warranty yet...(I just thought of another comeback. Not just a car they don't know, but a NEW one. That's going to be fun!)

wabash slim likes this.
  7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg

Bertotti and stevo like this.
  8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I just got a notice this AM that my Amazon account has been closed and I need to "clik here" to resolve the issue! Damn! Been hacked about 3 times a week for months!

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's priceless. Love it.

10. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I once acted like my baby fell out the window while on the phone with them....

Hammerhands and wabash slim like this.
  11. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I experienced a new one today: I received a text message from an unknown number about 5:30 this morning that my “pickup of pkgs was delayed” and that I needed to “click here for trcking (sic) information” followed by a hyperlink to who knows what or where.

I deleted it (unclicked) after showing it to my wife...

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ok , I'll admit . ....... when I see a scammer with my caller ID , I'll sometimes answer my phone like this ......

Me : hello Detective Johnson
    Scammer : hello sir , I'm calling about ....
    Me : sir this is Detective Johnson .....where conducting a homicide investigation at this residence right now and we'll need your personal identification as where tracing all incoming calls at this location ..... how did you know the deceased sir ? ..... we're you and the deceased in a relationship ?
    Me : hello ...hello

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021 at 3:17 AM
    ooglybong, Shock, unbridled and 3 others like this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had a guy call once that was with Microsoft and he told me their equipment said my computer was full of viruses.

After giving him the "Oh my, what will I do? Can you help me?"

I proceeded to do everything he asked for, with my router unplugged of course.

After 40 minutes of trying to have him download the information he desperately needed to clean the nasty viruses out of my computer, he said, " I think there must be something wrong with your internet."

I said, "I don't have internet."

CLICK!

14. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I got a call from the Social Security Department (for non-US, it's social security administration). I had two words for them and they weren't Merry Christmas.

I had the same call as the OP about 6 months ago. I called the police, but they wouldn't do anything about it.

15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    At least Svetlana 44DD has stopped leaving messages for me.......:eek:

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I bet you broke his heart!

juks likes this.
  17. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I did answer once a 800 number that was similar to what my bank has. Indian dude was doing the Microsoft support scam: your computer has a virus.

So I told he we have 5 computers in the house, which one is it? Can you give me the ip address of the infected one? So he disappeared briefly and came back of course not with ip address but more of his bs. So I told him he does not work for Microsoft but he is a scammed.

His reply: "you m*****f*****" and he hung up. Lol, must be a stressful job.

Youtube has few guys who answer these call and hack back to the scammers computers, delete files and install viruses on them. Brilliant!

unbridled likes this.
  18. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I had the same call about my Social Insurance Number being suspended. I asked if they would confirm the number. Dead silence until I asked “ do you know what comes next you #[email protected]&$ idiot?”...... Click

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  20. manunk

manunk Gretschie

In Canada the "Tax Department" is not "Revenue Canada" it is Canada Revenue Agency. Scammers (lowlife thieves) can hit the jackpot when they reach someone who actually has unpaid taxes. I know of a relatively new person to our country who found himself owing tuition fees and was scared into making a payment to the lowlife thief.

I have had scam calls "from the windows department", or offering special rebates on home heating, or saying someone is using my credit card (I don't have that brand of card). Now and then I play a game with them if I am bored.

Hello this is the recall depoartment of Gritch. Immediately ship me your guitarse and amps there is a serious problam !! They has been anfected by many many virusses .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.