Old names for items

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
So how about the couch, anyone have family who called it the davenport? Why? Was it a brand name at the time that stuck?

or how about Breakfast Dinner Supper? The only place I ever heard the noon meal called lunch was in school. Even in the Marines we called it chow time. Supper was always at night. But as time went on more and more called lunch the noon meal and dinner was the new supper, why?

How about Bathrooms, go places and some call it restrooms? I’m not actually resting in there so why?

Ok enough if my pondering for the day.

SLICKFASTER

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2009
USA
Breakfast is when you “Break” your night “Fast”. It can be @ morning, brunch, lunch, supper, or late night… ha
And as far as “restroom” goes I thank God for the relief every time I make it through an emergency and when I do it’s definitely a “Rest”… but I still love fried “Jumbo”sandwiches … hmmm… at breakfast… n now I realize they’re probably causing my Restroom Emergency’s … Dang it!!!

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
I still call the remote for the TV the clicker. We had one that contained mechanical clicking switches that would strike tuning rods that would make tones at different frequencies.

a refrigerator is still the Fridge, but that is short for Frigidaire.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I still call the remote for the TV the clicker. We had one that contained mechanical clicking switches that would strike tuning rods that would make tones at different frequencies.

a refrigerator is still the Fridge, but that is short for Frigidaire.
We still call it a fridge my parents and grandparents called it an icebox, my dad and aunts and uncles had stories of the real icebox and one of delivering ice when young.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Capacitors were once called condensers.
Hertz used to be known as CPS/cycles per second.

Dinner and supper to me are interchangeable terms for the same meal. Noon is for lunch.
What do you call the 3AM meal after a gig?

Davenport, couch or sofa? Settee?
Doilies were known as antimacassars.

As to the term fridge, trade names have gotten used as the common term for a long time---Xerox, Kleenex, and so on.

Rest rooms? Toilets. Jakes. Outhouse. Washrooms. Lavatory.
Ladies' rooms often have a couch.

Tape for recording anything, even digitally.
Why is it record? Don't you need to cord it first?

What's the difference between auto and car?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Breakfast is when you “Break” your night “Fast”. It can be @ morning, brunch, lunch, supper, or late night… ha
And as far as “restroom” goes I thank God for the relief every time I make it through an emergency and when I do it’s definitely a “Rest”… but I still love fried “Jumbo”sandwiches … hmmm… at breakfast… n now I realize they’re probably causing my Restroom Emergency’s … Dang it!!!
I have terrible eating habits and don't like eating when I have work to do. It makes me sleepy. Breakfast will be at 10pm today.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
* most of you played your guitars on the " porch " , I've played mine on the " stoop "
* my friends @audept and @Trash Kidd have probably taken the " underground " , I've taken the " subway "
* at 2pm Sunday dinner , I've been asked to pass the " sauce " .....or was it the " gravy "
* only a true city boy knows the definitions of " fagetabowdit " and " go ahead , see what happens "
* some of you take along an " electric torch " when you go camping , I pack a " flashlight "
* theres an " El " everywhere you look in The Bronx . I bet my friend @5120mantis knows what I'm talking about

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
* most of you played your guitars on the " porch " , I've played mine on the " stoop "
* my friends @audept and @Trash Kidd have probably taken the " underground " , I've taken the " subway "
* at 2pm Sunday dinner , I've been asked to pass the " sauce " .....or was it the " gravy "
* only a true city boy knows the definitions of " fagetabowdit " and " go ahead , see what happens "
* some of you take along an " electric torch " when you go camping , I pack a " flashlight "
* theres an " El " everywhere you look in The Bronx . I bet my friend @5120mantis knows what I'm talking about
I've ridden the Tube in London, the L in Chicago, and trams and streetcars elsewhere.
Those of us with yards often play guitar on the porch. Stoop is when you bend down to change a setting on a pedal. Front door, or entry foyer?
2PM meal on Sunday is brunch.
Do you go to the market, the grocery, or the bodega?
The berm or the verge?
Basement or cellar?
Slippers or house shoes?
Record player, phonograph, or turntable?
Den or man cave?

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
On my first day on tour with George Thorogood in USA I was asked to carry some microphones on my flight from LAX to North Dakota. I arrived before the others, picked up the rental car and stashed the mikes. When the rest of the crew arrived they asked me: "where are the mikes?" I said I had put them in the boot. Everyone was staring at my shoes until I realized the problem. "I mean the trunk" I said and they burst out laughing at the weird Aussie sound guy. After that I got grief for calling my flashlight a "torch". When I said "I reckon" they told me I must be from West Virginia!

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
What do you call the 3AM meal after a gig?
The part of Italy I come from (the Adriatic coast) it's very well known for nightlife, especially on summer disco clubs or stuff like that.
Everybody my age have been into that even they were rockers... you know, it was where the girls went, so did we. :)
Well, the 4AM lunch after the disco (that may be a light sandwich/slice of pizza lunch but sometimes even a heavy one, with pasta and meat involved) it's called Chemical Hunger.
It's an habit that everybody in my band mantained once we went from discos to playing clubs. :D
It may vary, depends on which country you're playing, but usually involve very heavy food. In northern Europe you go for kebab shops, in UK it's chinese. In Italy it's most of the time pizza places, or sandwiches at the highway filling stations (that in Italy are name Autogrill :D).

Last edited:

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
The "Play Club" is the historical equivalent of a driver.

A "Brassie" would be the equivalent of today's 3 wood.

A "Wooden Cleek" would be today's 4 wood.

A "Spoon" would be the modern-day equivalent of a 5 wood.

A "Baffie", sometimes spelled "Baffy", is the equivalent of a higher-lofted wood such as a 7 wood or even a hybrid.

A "Cleek" was a driving iron. Most closely associated with a 1 iron or a 2 iron. Neither of which are used very much today.

Then you have your "Mid Irons", "Mid Mashies", "Mashie Iron", "Mashie", "Spade Mashie", "Mashie Niblick", "Pitching Niblick", "Niblick" (today's 9 iron), a "Jigger", and a "Putting Cleek".

The game has remained the same, but the equipment has changed considerably. ;)

Latest posts