Old Guitars so much better?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Randy99CL, Jun 14, 2021.

1. MadKaw

MadKaw Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    Michigan, USA
    With CAD/CAM I think it is inarguable that good guitars are more affordable than ever. I think that craftsmen in the olden days (pre 2000) made guitars just as good as the best of today, but most of us could never afford them.

As far as current prices for old guitars are concerned... it's like anything else. The supply diminishes as the inventory ages and the price therefore goes up because of collectibility. A 1955 Corvette will sell for far more than a brand-new one. Nobody would claim it's a better car.

Henry, Rmccamey and new6659 like this.
  2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I would say 95% on a solid

Freshy likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Isn`t religious discussion banned on this forum?

Henry, dlew919 and mr coffee like this.
  4. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I haven’t played new vs old I’ve only played my guitars of the kind of guitars I have. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so let me ask you this. Would you trade your older guitar let’s say 10+ years for the new edition of the same model if they were worth exactly the same value? Damaged guitars don’t count. I think I’ll stay with the hand I was dealt. I only have acoustics and hollow bodies which I’m guessing change more with age.

5. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    very good question.

I don’t know if I would.

But you never know

6. golem

golem Electromatic

Jan 3, 2021
    USA
    I generally prefer both guitars made today and guitars with modern specs (e.g., locking tuners, changes made for better upper fret access, etc.) even though I often like vintage aesthetics.

7. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    IMHO sometimes I think it a lot of it relates to popularity of some guitars contributed to the legacy of who played them. Many modern guitars are just as good, if not better than their previous years. And as someone said earlier, all guitars started as new. Many improvements in either the technology used in production, or improvements in design make them better and yet more affordable, too. I can never get a grasp on, as an example, how Telecaster lovers insist that Leo got it right with his original design tele bridge. If it was so good, why didn't he stick with that design when he came out with the Strat a few years later?
    Not to get seriously critical, but todays "not all that great" guitars may easily become the hottest vintage model in 10 years after someone becomes famous when playing it. ....just sayin'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.