Ok....so, why Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    As far as it goes for me, One: You won't find a forum with the caliber of of people as you will find here.

Now for the Guitar.
    I find Gretsch guitars to be the most versatile guitar I have ever played. Contrary to popular belief, These are not a one trick pony. I can do anything with my Gretsch. Blues, of course Rockabilly, Country, and yes my favorite, Hard Rock. I have never felt happier and more comfortable with a guitar. I am originally a Strat guy which I still Play but yhe Gretsch is my fav. Not to mention beauty and build quality.

mrfixitmi, ZackyDog and BCRatRod73 like this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

3. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I bought a gretsch because I preferred it to the telecaster thinline and epiphone 335 I was looking at. And I still love it. Filtertron pickups are great

mrfixitmi, ZackyDog and GlenP like this.
  4. whitetip24

whitetip24 Electromatic

Mar 27, 2011
    U.K.
    For me, they're so versatile, look superb and they sound great. The main players that steered me down the beautiful Gretsch road were Billy Duffy (the cult), Mark Collins (the charlatans) and Chris Cornell (soundgarden). Then you've got G Love, Billy Gibbons, George Harrison, Brian Setzer, Bo diddly, Malcom Young... You can do almost anything on a gretsch.

mrfixitmi and BCRatRod73 like this.
  5. ColoCoug

ColoCoug Electromatic

Dec 9, 2011
    Fort Collins CO
    My ThunderJet bass is one of the nicest-playing instruments I've ever had. And my orange 5123 bass is gorgeous and plays nicely. I like every Gretsch I have ever played.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My first guitar teacher Back in 1965 played a Country Gent. He played Jazz and it sounded cool.
    Then came Chet Atkins and George Harrison. I bought a new Gretsch Rally In 1966 with my allowance and a $50 loan from my Dad. The store owner looked at my Dad and said, “the boy needs an amp” My Dad said, “nope no money for an amp now“. The store owner said but, “he needs an amp for an electric guitar” Nope. The store owner felt bad For me and thru in a cheap Univox amp with the deal. Just so I could play like it should be. Made my day. Many, many Gretsch’s later, they still are the largest number of guitars in my collection.

mrfixitmi and JC higgy like this.
  7. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Electromatic

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    Back in the sixties and seventies, a friend and roommate played a green Gretsch. That probably had some influence on me. I've also always liked Chet Atkins' sound. At an open mic about a year and a half ago, one of the musicians was playing a 512o Electromatic, and I really liked his sound, but I didn't like the "ELECTROMATIC" written down the center of the peg head. I did a little research and found that the 5420 was the latest iteration of the hollow body Electromatic, and I started looking around. I found a used G5420TG for a decent price and bought it. After doing a little set up, including neck relief, lowering the nut slots, and flat wound strings, it now my favorite guitar to play. I also added a Chet Atkins style vibrato bar. BTW, it's also a stunningly beautiful guitar!

[​IMG]

mrfixitmi, Rmccamey, Tadhg and 4 others like this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    not sure if you can recognize "Lefty" without his shades...

[​IMG]

mrfixitmi, JC higgy, Scott and 2 others like this.
  9. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I've been into Rockabilly for a long time, where the guitar of choice is generally either a Hollowbody or a T-style guitar.
    Gretsch was always very expensive and like the highest degree of what you could buy.
    Then I saw the first electromatics and they looked and sounded cool, but they were a bit off imo. Until I saw the G5420T that hit all the marks imo and the oversized bound f-holes look amazing.
    After playing it I instantly loved the comfortable neck, the body and the resonance. If you dial in just the right amount of gain it sounds like it wants to bite while remaining well pronounced.

It's just the aesthetics, the ergonomics and that aggressive clean sound that do it for me. The guitar just fits me in every way :D

And ofc...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    mrfixitmi and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  10. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Yes it is.

fsdphcorrigan and Rmccamey like this.
  11. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    When I was a kid my Mom watched the Grand Ole Opery every week. Listening to Chet play, I loved the sound and the looks of hie guitar. Years later I really looked at his guitar and saw it was a Gretsch. Couldn't afford one then but it was my dream guitar. Still can't afford one of Chets models but I have three newer ones that I really like.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. DudeWithGuitar

DudeWithGuitar Newbie

Sep 10, 2020
    Denver, CO
    In the mid-90s the band which I had formed eleven years prior, disintigrated. I was a devout Strat guy at the time, but felt somewhat musically adrift without this thing in my life which had been a huge part of my identity for over a decade. I was living in Los Angeles and a friend took me to see a guy named Jon Brion play at the Aligator Lounge. This disheveled-looking dude came out on the stage with a Firebird Jet (6131), plugged it into an old Selmer amp and the most amazing tone came out. I was totally blown away, both by the guitar and by Jon's absolutely amazing musicianship and originality. Shortly after that show, Jon took up a weekly residency at Largo on Fairfax and I started going every Friday to see him because one never knew what he was going to play or who was going to get on stage with him. That Firebird was his main axe back then and he played it almost every time I saw him (Jon also plays, drums, piano, bass, Chamberlin, and many more instruments - sometimes all of the above in one night).

Shortly thereafter I went looking for a Jet and eventuyally found an early 80's Duo on Craigslist that had the magic. It's become my #1 and is on almost every recording I've made since.

Jon still has a residency (albeit, not every week) at Largo (which is no longer on Fairfax) - if you are ever able to go see him play, do. You will not be disappointed.

Jon.jpg
    PS: interestingly, I was unable to find a pic of Jon with his Firebird, but here he is with a 6120.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you have to ask...

Really I can’t explain it. It’s like a dream I always have. Whenever I discovered a new-to-me Gretsch model, it was already what I knew existed, you know? Gretsch just has an aesthetic that makes sense to me, I can tell it apart from a simple Artcore or that other G-brand that turns me off. I can’t say that for any other guitar make ;)

335E35C0-6AE7-4FFE-9AD7-47025244706B.jpeg B3F25A1E-A789-400E-886E-73BF9EC92973.jpeg 2EC23836-B71D-4234-9C6D-9A355B7EC03D.jpeg 74895749-34E9-416F-B7C8-03D4C3CBF64B.jpeg 30B17AE8-210F-4072-A5E6-218E9C3B8AC6.jpeg 4E65CD1B-E43C-42F4-92A9-4EE99FDF476C.jpeg D396E9E7-F36B-41F4-99F1-A51B76115938.jpeg 5962A122-898B-4C14-8622-54D17B92393D.jpeg

ColoCoug, mrfixitmi and ZackyDog like this.
  14. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

Playing a Gretsch will make you stand out from all those other guys who play Fenders, Gibsons, and whatever else...Dare to be different!!!

mrfixitmi, Rmccamey, ZackyDog and 3 others like this.
  15. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    It works for me, Tony!
    I’m nothing if not a lame dude on guitar!

Teledriver and TSims1 like this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Same here!!

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I should be buried with it haha :)

Stefan87 likes this.
  20. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    lol I can't think of a reply that doesn't sound like I want you dead, so I'll just say that I hope it never leaves your side.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.