Ok....so, why Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, Sep 5, 2020.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    because they look classy, even the cheap ones look good.

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I always liked the look of a hollowbody Gretsch on people like Billy Duffy. Malcolm Young and the ultra-big Falcon looked so cool with it, too.
    As a hardrock guitarist a Gretsch would not be the most obvious choice. But the clashing with the style works brilliantly. As I found out, you can do nearly everything with these type of guitars. Shockingly versatile.
    I never got more comliments on a guitar than with my 6119. They are true eyecatchers.

Another -completely different- reason was that they were (and still are) quite affordable on the vintage market (compared to Fender and Gibson). I always wanted to own some very old cool guitars and the vintage Gretsch guitars were in my budget. So I bought and traded nearly a dozen of them over the years. Enjoyed that very much and discovered some treasures like vintage Corvettes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    pmac11, Stefan87, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  3. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    they sound so perfect live. on old mics. and make it look easy.. fantastically frustrating to watch

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    UGH ! I see that now . I did look to see if anyone had beat me to it . You win on this one . I knight thee " Super Poster " ..... :p

tartanphantom likes this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

A lil' too heavy to my ears as far as I remember but I'll try again. Thanks for the hint.

6. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I was looking for a back up semi for my 355 and every new 335 I played wasn’t working. Poorly dressed frets and fret sprout. I sat down and played a Panther and that was it. Took it home right then and there.

7. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    They definitely could be. Depended on the album or era they were in. During the 90s when heavy was the thing that's what they did_ and did it well. But, they started off as ska/punk with a lot of horns and pop sensibilities. They were full of energy live and superb musicians.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    For me, at first it was because the Jet sound and feel suited me better than an LP. Then I got interested in a larger semi-hollow, and nothing made me smile like the 5622T. So I'd say it is because they make distinctive sounding and feeling guitars that are good values for the money.

Stefan87 and BCRatRod73 like this.
  9. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Live onstage at high volume it is a wild beast that begs to be harnessed and ridden. It has bitten me until I learned it's ways. If not careful it will throw you. But if corralled just right its the ride of a lifetime. Growling at you the whole time but still wild ! Nothing else like it. Dangerous but so thrilling. Stroke it, caress it, bash it, let it scream. It responds in kind. It does it all. Not a one trick but a 10 fold wilderbeast.

10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great Question, for me, it was always the sound. While learning on acoustic, it was the most natural progression for me.
    Growing up with a tight disciplined environment, electrics were out of the question, But Gretsch guitars were acceptable.
    When I asked my "guitar guy" uncle why a Gretsch? He said three reasons....#1, the sound, #2, you need good technique to play a Gretsch, if you hit a bad note, everyone in the room will know it, there is no hiding bad technique. #3, using a Gretsch will make you a better player.
    Being older now, I do understand his point, some of the best guitarists are Gretsch players.

11. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I first heard the name Gretsch when I was a teenager and my dad played percussion in a couple of bands. He owned a beautiful set of Gretsch pearl white drums. He was the first percussionist in our area to read drum music...and yes, there is such a thing.
    I grew up in the time of Eddie Cochrane, Duane Eddy, Scotty Moore and of course Chet Atkins and these were the folks who inspired me to go Gretsch although it was many years later before I even made the jump to electric let alone Gretsch. Such a great history and sound.

section2, mrfixitmi and RomanS like this.
  12. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    i wonder if any one is kicking them selves over tossing their monkees pickguard from 60s models out?
    They may have value to them no?

mrfixitmi likes this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    At 6'-6" I make normal sized guitars look tiny so I need a big body guitar to keep the proportions correct. I saw a picture of myself playing a Les Paul and ever since then I can't go back. Plus the sound of a semi-hollow is pretty cool. IMHO a solid body guitar seems to be lacking something after playing semi-hollows and hollow bodies.
    I first made the switch to full size semi-hollows and still have my Sheraton, Riviera P93, and Ibanez AS93. My first full size hollowbody was an Epi Swingster. The Gretsch is just night and day better in every way than the Swingster. After that I bought a Guild Starfire II ST. I figured I didn't need another hollowbody since I had the Swingster. Wrong. When I first started seeing pictures of the Rat Rod that was pretty much it for me. Now that I have a Gretsch I'm getting acquainted with the Filter'Trons and really liking the sound.
    A Gretsch just has a cool vibe to it. They were there from the beginning of rock and roll.

And the Gretsch people seem to be the coolest and nicest people in the guitar community. No egos or petty arguments over the stupidest things.

section2, Gregor and mrfixitmi like this.
  14. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Because there's a sound I hear in my head. It haunts my dreams and lingers throughout the day. When I play my Gretsch, I connect to it. It's equal parts gravel and gilded, swamp and swoon, grit and grace, and all points in-between. And for me, the electrified hollow-body is the pinnacle of our primal need to make a joyful noise and be heard -- organic and amplified.

It took me a while to get here but I'm glad I made the journey.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I was mesmerized when I saw this clip, circa December 1980. And that big, beautiful guitar looked---and sounded---like no other guitar I had seen.

vlcsnap-2020-09-06-14h54m34s702.png vlcsnap-2020-09-06-15h10m07s382.png

4 years later, I would start playing guitar and, 3 years after that, I got my first Gretsch, Double Cutaway hollow body (Black Hawk/Streamliner). Eventually, I would acquire a Country Gentleman.

MikeSchindler, section2, bone and 7 others like this.
  16. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    those old Gretsch kits are fantastic! as for reading drum music..
    theblackpage_zappa_kopie.jpg

evidently, Zappa took that as a challenge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Page

17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    It was the living end/Chris Cheney that bought me to Gretsch.

I've never been one to follow trends or do/buy what everyone else was doing/buying, I liked to be different, I learn't on an acoustic when I was 7/8 and no one in my family was very musical so my parents only really listened to pop or country (easy listening rhythm type stuff) so I never had a guitar hero growing up to want to be like, my first electric guitars were strat copies as that's what my parents got me, when it came to me finally having money to buy my own gear and liking to be different I never really loved strats, teles were cool but again wanted something different, had and still have no interest in gibsons, never liked their styling/feel/weight and EVERY rock guitarist played them so didn't want that.

It wasn't until I got a new guitar teacher and he asked me if there was any song I wanted to learn for something different instead of doing text book stuff, I didn't have anything in mind so I just said for him to pick me something decent, he played me 'all torn down' and that was me hooked on the sound and my guitar hero, then looked at the guitar and loved the styling and the fact that they weren't very common in mainstream music so it was all win for me, from that day forward Gretsch was number 1 for me.

mrfixitmi, Tadhg and BCRatRod73 like this.
  18. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    One name, Chet. I saw his orange Gretsch and the sound he got out of it and I was hooked. I know that the guitar does not make the player but it doesn't hurt to have one of the best guitars every made.

Rmccamey, mrfixitmi, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Gretsch has the “it”. TOTAL cool factor. Lamest dude in the world? Sling a Gretsch and you are INSTA-cool. It’s a Cadillac on a strap for crying out loud. I play lots of guitars, but none have the cool factor of a sweet Gretsch. Period.

BCRatRod73, dougmon, johnny g and 9 others like this.
  20. wilblee

wilblee Country Gent

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    In 2011 I had money to burn, time on my hands, a case of bourbon-induced cognitive dissonance, a momentary whim to try a guitar I hadn’t even considered up until then, and eBay. Before long I had a Duffy Falcon on the way from Cream City.

As soon as I got it I knew I had waited waaay too long to get into Gretsch. Soon I had a 6121 to go with it. Along with my PRS DGT, these are my most gigged, and most admired, guitars.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.