Ok....so, why Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, Sep 5, 2020.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    So there's this whole forum dedicated to Gretsch guitars....and I'm been tooling around reading from various sections/areas.....

But...I haven't seen... Why Gretsch?

Why are all of you fans of Gretsch....or maybe better put...what made you interested in the first place? A picture that you saw of a guitar? The history of the company? Someone that you knew who had one? Someone famous that you've always admired? Pure chance? A song you liked that you found out was played using a Gretsch?

In my case, though I'm obviously very slow to respond, it was mainly because of the Stray Cats.....I was a kid who felt lost musically, in 1981/82 when I first heard them...and really dove in deep.....had posters, bought any of the music magazines that had interviews with them.....would stay up late if they were going to be the musical guest on a show (Fridays/SNL, MTV etc)....had the albums.....

And in every single photo.....Brian Setzer had his huge-looking orange guitar.....I didn't even play, then (started around 1984, I believe)....but I knew I dug how that thing looked and sounded......right from the first sighting.

It only took me about 37 years.....But, I finally got one....And I'll have a 6XXX series, yet....mark my words ;-)

Rmccamey, Moedecker, Frank2 and 10 others like this.
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Isn't Gretsch the Rolls Royce of electric guitars?

Rmccamey, j.s.c, capnhiho and 11 others like this.
  3. As far as the forum goes, simply put, its the members. I have started and read way more threads here about who knows what, other than gretsch. Its the people. That being said, plug a hot rod into a decent tube amp with a brain pedal, then come back and ask again.

brodg68, Stefan87, bone and 2 others like this.
  4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I've always been mainly Fender Strat guy (and still am), because of the Strat sounds you can get and a Strat is a comfortable guitar to play. I more or less ignored Gretsch for a long time, but there were times I thought a Pro Jet or something would be cool to have. George Harrison used a Gretsch for some of his work, and a long time ago I listened to Stray Cats sometimes. Last November, I found a new Gretsch G5420T on sale at a good price and decided to swap in a pair of TV Jones Classics pickups & a set of Sperzel locking tuners.

There are a lot of guitar brands though.. And there are some that have been played in some of the music I like (such as Rickenbacker), but I'm still not really drawn to some of the other brands. Aside from Rickenbacker, there's also Ibanez, Yamaha (I actually have a Yamaha acoustic), and many other brands out there.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Simple. For me at any price point they are some of the best made and most beautiful guitars built and have great tone. Add to that they have one of the best necks of any guitars I’ve played.

6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    For me there’s just one answer:
    Setzer.
    (Although I liked The Cult way before the Stray Cats, but Duffy’s Falcon never got a real hold on me. Maybe I was just too inexperienced )

j.s.c, CatTones, Stefan87 and 3 others like this.
  7. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    poison ivy and duane eddy brought me here. the craftsmanship keeps me here.

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cause, they're like, orange and stuff.

9. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    15993271750005281992877294201827.jpg

This was my mom's copy of Duane Eddy's first album. It's now in my collection. Even before I picked up a guitar in the late 70s I was trying to make out the brand name on the peghead. His was such a unique sound compared to anything else I had heard. As time went on and I started playing, I used pretty much any brand that was on the market. The Gretsch just had the right feel, look, and especially tone for my needs.

Rmccamey, j.s.c, amp360 and 9 others like this.
  10. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    The 6120 is the most comfortable guitar that I play and I rock the hardest on... Love it. Only downside is they are expensive!

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    After many years playing Gibson and Fender guitars, I decided I should try one of these Gretsch machines. I looked around a lot on the web and eventually bought a 6120. I played it occasionally for a few years but never seemed to bond with it. Still, I was very impressed with its quality and kept in the collection. Over time, I started to really like it and now I play it much more often. I still don't use it as one of my stage guitars, but it is very likely that will happen too!

mrfixitmi and bone like this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    It kicked off for me watching Kids in the Hall. You'd have all these short music breaks with Shadowy Men, and Brian Connelly playing various Gretsch models. That stayed in my brain!

13. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/gretsch.html

They are good quality, reasonably priced, great sounding guitars. My bass player, who plays guitar in other bands, suggested looking at Gretsch when I was thinking of a 335 or a Dot, I was leaning towards an Epiphone, but started to look at the Gretsch and, well there you go. This forum has helped me learn about the differences in Gretsch models and upgrades available. But if you get the right one stock, they have a wide range available to meet your needs. Pete and Joe can’t be wrong.

mrfixitmi and pmac11 like this.
  14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I fell in love with Gretsch gear as a drummer. Phil Collins, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Steve Gorman were all big influences, and Gretsch drums just sound so good. I bought my vintage Gretsch kit when I was 16, and I still have it 26 years later. I laid down some tracks for my band on it just a couple of days ago.

20180227_223449_Film1.jpg

When I was 18, I saw a guitarist at a gig playing a Silver Jet, and I thought it was the most beautiful guitar I'd ever seen. But I didn't pick up a guitar for another 20 years or so. I bought a Hagstrom, and then a PRS SE 245, but they weren't quite perfect. Then I came across the Streamliner series and thought the 2655 looked like a lot of fun. I treated myself to one and loved it. I eventually traded up to a red sparkle 5620, and by then I was totally hooked. The sound, the sparkly finish, the cat's eye F-holes, the vintage styling, the whole package. Now I've got four Gretsches, the Hagstrom is gone, and I hardly touch the PRS. The Gretsches are just too beautiful and too much fun!

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Why? They are the coolest sounding, sexiest looking, easiest playing plywood guitars ever made.

20200322_150641.jpg

16. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Why?

Indeed, why not?

Rmccamey, Saunantaus and thunder58 like this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's why there's these.;) 20180315_154436.jpg

18. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    In no particular order b05cfcd7f94a9ba01484965a415e72a3.jpg billy-zoom-2008-billboard-650-compressed.jpg young-love-620-80.jpg huge_avatar.jpeg Eddie-Cochran.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I always wanted a double cut semihollow, but as many may have noticed, I am very picky about how the cut looks. I don't like the horn, phallus look on 335, teles, etc. - the horn is too elongated.

Then I saw the Gretsch double cuts. Beautifully rounded. Like holding a voluptuous woman.

20. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I am a Strat guy, heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc. But in the back of my mind I always liked the Stray Cats. Half way through my 50's I was bored with what I was playing and decided I wanted to play some Stray Cats songs. Then I wanted to know who Brian Setzer's influences were. That opened up the whole Rockabilly scene.
    My first Gretsch was a G5120. Loved it so much I have owned at least 26 Gretsch guitar over the past 10 years

Berington and GlenP like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.