Ok I took the Firefly plunge

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Nick, keep us posted.

Edit:
    After reading this post I looked on Reverb. Now I have a red 338 with case on the way. I want to thank all you enablers. :p:p:p

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    gtttrrr, Trash Kidd, Archtops and 3 others like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I did the same thing and got lucky to get a FF338 in spalted Maple for $189.:) Man these things sell out fast!

nickurso likes this.
  3. I’m having a hard time finding these new. I see some on reverb, but they are mostly listed as used. And when i look up a website for them, it takes me to Santa Cruz guitars, but those are not inexpensive.

nickurso likes this.
  4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Guitarsgarden.com. That's where they sell the new ones. Once they get a shipment, they sell out pretty quick. So you just need to keep checking the site.

Archtops, freddyfingers and nickurso like this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’m glad I could help

Archtops likes this.
  6. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Interesting pickup configuration...reverse Greeny/Moore...it'd be interesting, too to check out the bridge pickup's magnet orientation.

nickurso likes this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    If I like the guitar I’m gonna change the pick ups and the middle position will be out of phase. That’s the only way I like the middle position on a Les Paul

GlenP and DasherF like this.
  8. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    The addiction...AM there...my thing is kits...I have 5 right now in various stages.
    I want to find a double cutaway White Falcon to build...all I see is the single...
    I just bought a Teisco Del Rey ET200 like the one my parents bought for graduation...paid a bit more than the $59.95 they shelled out in '69...it was the first guitar I learned how to straighten the neck to get better action...
    Yup...the "hits" just keep on comin'!
    As far as newer Asian instruments, I think I found a faux-Gib in an antique shop...I bought it for $50, a case for $25. Not a bad player after the obligatory setup. A good rat rod to mix parts on.

nickurso likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    You’ll wind up playing it. Mine is spectacular.

10. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Man, I had a Teisco when I was a kid, I let it go for beer money after I got better guitars. I wish I still had it, just for the nostalgia. I occasionally scan the bay for them and have seen one like mine once or twice, but never when I had what they wanted for them.

-m

GlenP and nickurso like this.
  11. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Similarly, I took the Monoprice LOF (Leap of Faith). Most of what I have are pre-pandemic purchases (lower & more affordable prices) of Squiers & Epiphones. I wanted a T-style and took that LOF too. All electrics I have are the sub $ 150 new on sale or pre-owned gotta be gone prices. And with Monoprice's promotional sales on regularly priced $ 99.99 Telecaster, I couldn't resist that lower price.. I mean, at one point here in 2021, their lowest end model of T-style was $ 79.99. Even at $ 99.99, really a safe & lower risk purchase.

Watched a Best of Under $ 300 (US) video, out of 35 sub $ 300, the Monoprice gets slammed as #34, more like a worst of in that video ranking, but I see the demo videos and people are making good music with the Monoprices at any their product line for price/quality point.

Firefly happens to be higher ranked #4 of the Top 5 actually. To be fair, there are 35 and that still didn't even mention Grote or any of several others, but how close is #35 to really being in the top 5 for criteria & scoring. Without seeing his scoring tabulations. Like a beauty contest, there are scores for each category that add up to pick the most beautiful of the lot. I just don't see how one is scored from another. And I get that sinking feeling that the differences aren't as big a disparity.

35. Donner/Silvertone 0:25 34. Monoprice 0:46 33. Hardluck Kings 1:01 32. Oscar Schmidt 1:17 31. Glary 1:33 30. Peavey 2:04 29. AXL 2:32 28. SX 2:43 27. Hofner 2:57 26. Auston 3:11 25. Washburn 3:34 24. Aria 3:43 23. Stagg 4:05 22. Vintage 4:31 21. Mitchell 4:53 20. Daisy Rock 5:13 19. Traveler 5:40 18. Hadean 6:12 17. Kramer 6:31 16. Schecter 6:48 15. C&G 7:12 14. Slick 7:37 13. Xaviere 7:57 12. Sterling 8:14 11. Yamaha 8:47 10. Dean 9:16 9. Cort 9:54 8. Squier 10:12 7. Ibanez 11:13 6. Gretsch 11:36 5. Jackson 12:50 4. Fire Fly 13:29 3. Epiphone 14:34 2. Tagima 15:18 1. Harley Benton 16:06

12. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    @nickurso You took the plunge, now swim out to the deep end.
    Really like all mine. I play the Crossroads the most cause I like to play fat jazz rhythm chops.(A Disciple of the Paul Weller Church of Choppers) Had to take off the white pearl pick guard for what I think is a better look. Got them all from Guitars Garden / https://guitarsgarden.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Dana Rudd, new6659, GlenP and 3 others like this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Very nice collection. Mine should be here today

Freshy likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Ok.. so it took a while but I got my 57' PAF in the neck and the bridge is a hot 498T that I dewaxed. alum stop tail and gotoh bridge and tuners w some nice tone caps... I have zero need for an es335!! Thats what I'm telling myself anyway. Its sounds and feels really nice for a cheapo shi$$y guitar, that just isnt.

nickurso likes this.
  15. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

This whole thread has me a bit fascinated with this brand now...dammit. I love the look of the 335's!

nickurso likes this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Pictures? Are you selling it?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  17. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Man that Crossroads makes me wanna strum something raunchy with that just past the edge of breakup gritty kinda sound! You guys are killin' me, I wanna order all kind of guitars that I really don't need....

-m

18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    i posted it on page 2. here tis after the mods but you cant tell much really.
    IMG_3637.jpeg

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.