Oh...wow!!!

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
My Stern CS guitar IS better than the other Jets I have, have had, have played. Its that simple. To be clear its Not twice as good. Not better in proportion to the additional cost. But I love it more, it plays and feels as good as anything ive ever played and i cant imagine anything better. Yes it was expensive. But i worked hard to get it, made sacrifices and remain to this day grateful for the blessings that enabled me to get it. As far as Im concerned, its as good as a guitar can be. Scratches every itch.
No regrets.

I think you nailed it. I'm expecting it to be better in perhaps unquantifiable things, like inspiration, vibe, mojo...whatever that special "thing" is that Stephen and the Custom Shop do, that will make it feel different.

My Tele', which was master-designed but team built, and has "it" in spades...but I can't pinpoint what "it" is.

If I get there and it's not speaking to me than it'll stay in the shop, with nothing lost at all but an additional 4 miles of fuel.

WAM999317

Electromatic
Dec 30, 2011
long island new york
So I'm about to go away on holiday and I'm checking out guitar stores near where I'm going and saw this....and now I can't stop thinking about it....and it's crazy expensive...and yet I'm plotting...and plotting.
View attachment 183233 View attachment 183234 View attachment 183235 View attachment 183236 View attachment 183237

Custom Shop 59' 6128 in aged Daphne Blue..TV Jones classics.

Price not far under £6k.
Let me start by saying I have no intention to rain on your Parade, but $6,000 is a hell of alot of cash to spend on an artificially aged guitar with zero provenance . Understand when you purchase it, that is what you are getting, and you should plan on keeping it forever, because regardless of how it plays, it will most likely never be worth more than a new 6128 or what you paid for this one. There are far more Guitars out there appreciating as we speak if you have $6,000 to spend. I have a Cadillac Green 6128 vintage 2004 with factory simulated aged block inlay fingerboard markers and gold hardware, its real nice but I am sentimental over nothing so If I had to part with it one day so be it. As far as custom shop goes if you follow stuff like that you may remember the Gretsch special edition George Harrison 6128 (aged and dinged) that was targeted to sell for $10,000 are on the secondary market now at $3,600 so think this one through. This is almost like buying an extra $150,000 Porsche and just letting it sit in the garage.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Let me start by saying I have no intention to rain on your Parade, but $6,000 is a hell of alot of cash to spend on an artificially aged guitar with zero provenance . Understand when you purchase it, that is what you are getting, and you should plan on keeping it forever, because regardless of how it plays, it will most likely never be worth more than a new 6128 or what you paid for this one. There are far more Guitars out there appreciating as we speak if you have $6,000 to spend. I have a Cadillac Green 6128 vintage 2004 with factory simulated aged block inlay fingerboard markers and gold hardware, its real nice but I am sentimental over nothing so If I had to part with it one day so be it. As far as custom shop goes if you follow stuff like that you may remember the Gretsch special edition George Harrison 6128 (aged and dinged) that was targeted to sell for $10,000 are on the secondary market now at $3,600 so think this one through. This is almost like buying an extra $150,000 Porsche and just letting it sit in the garage.

It's not a done deal yet. I'll play it Friday.

I'm not interested in provenance, and not overly concerned with resale.

I'd like a brand new Mastertbuilt Gretsch by Stephen Stern, and it has to be a Jet. And it has to play amazing.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo

you might not appreciate the actual art of a relic'd instrument in the same way another individual might? Maybe you do? I certainly dooo. I paid for my hand made rutters 52' telecaster to be relic'd as a well played closet classic. Basically as If a player gigged for many yrs with the guitar, and then one day stopped playing and it sat on a stand in a room forever. So you get the look of a guitar that had initial wear n tear but over the yrs the finish coat ambered significantly and also crazed significantly while sun through the windows faded the original color of the paint. See, I found a 52' tele behind glass that had that exact life, but it was a gigabazillion dollars.. So a master builder and artist w killer skills in relic'ing was able to create a brand new instrument for me with all the specs I want but made it look just like that old fender behind the safety glass. Highly worth the price for me, as that is far more impressive than a shiny guitar. I cheated on the bridge,edges on the steel bridge plate and slant on the control plate :) I really wanted the cstm Just my 2 cents, as this is always a highly debated subject.
52' Rutters closet classic.png

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
you might not appreciate the actual art of a relic'd instrument in the same way another individual might? Maybe you do? I certainly dooo. I paid for my hand made rutters 52' telecaster to be relic'd as a well played closet classic. Basically as If a player gigged for many yrs with the guitar, and then one day stopped playing and it sat on a stand in a room forever. So you get the look of a guitar that had initial wear n tear but over the yrs the finish coat ambered significantly and also crazed significantly while sun through the windows faded the original color of the paint. See, I found a 52' tele behind glass that had that exact life, but it was a gigabazillion dollars.. So a master builder and artist w killer skills in relic'ing was able to create a brand new instrument for me with all the specs I want but made it look just like that old fender behind the safety glass. Highly worth the price for me, as that is far more impressive than a shiny guitar. I cheated on the bridge,edges on the steel bridge plate and slant on the control plate :) I really wanted the cstm Just my 2 cents, as this is always a highly debated subject.
View attachment 183533

That's amazing, a really stunning guitar. That is some fine craftsmanship, and I bet it feels amazing in the hands.

I feel exactly the same as you about them. My Tele' is heavily relic'ed, but has been done with love, care and atttention. Given that the masterbuilder was the guy who did the official Andy Summers Replicas, that he used on the Police reunion tour, i'd imagine it gets very close to that feel.

IMG_20220116_114332 (1).jpg

As for the Gretsch...I'm not looking for a vintage 59' as I'm not a collector. Alll my guitars get heavy usage. What I want is a perfectly built guitar,that can be a daily player, but feels vintage. Tomorrow I'll see if it's the one.

As for the money, I'll be releasing guitars into the wild, so cost neutral. I'm lucky to be in a position to make a heart, not head purchase. My wife has made me.promise that I'll stop looking if I get it.

vtbfmh1rh3s1de3yrcyg.jpg

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
I am enjoying this thread. It highlights so many of the issues we players and collectors face in finding our gear and how our tastes vary. I’m a player and all my gear gets gigged so no glass case guitars for me. I don’t like new guitars because they always improve after playing in so I only buy pre-owned I think the idea of taking a new guitar and making it look like it has spent 30 years on the road with Keith Richard’s is just bonkers but others like the vibe. That’s cool. We all get served by the manufacturers. I hope you play the guitar you are gassing over and it blows you mind. Do what makes you happy

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I’m one of the people who doesn’t get it, the whole worn guitar thing. I don’t go nuts if my guitar gets a ding but I have no desire to have one that’s all beat to hell. When I want to spend some cash on an instrument it is generally. I want to be the one who breaks it in. I take care of them almost obsessively but none of them are set aside because they cost to much or look to pretty. To each their own and as always there are exceptions. I won’t turn down a beat up guitar if it’s the one calling to me. Heck my bowl back mandolin is worn but it was made in 1911. Im not sure what it is but I’m more inclined accept wear on old acoustic instruments, but I want my electric guitars new. I find it curious how our brains work these things out

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
I’m one of the people who doesn’t get it, the whole worn guitar thing. I don’t go nuts if my guitar gets a ding but I have no desire to have one that’s all beat to hell. When I want to spend some cash on an instrument it is generally. I want to be the one who breaks it in. I take care of them almost obsessively but none of them are set aside because they cost to much or look to pretty. To each their own and as always there are exceptions. I won’t turn down a beat up guitar if it’s the one calling to me. Heck my bowl back mandolin is worn but it was made in 1911. Im not sure what it is but I’m more inclined accept wear on old acoustic instruments, but I want my electric guitars new. I find it curious how our brains work these things out

We like what we like. The fact we all like different stuff is great!

I have to admit, if I ever ding my Iconic Strat' I just might cry.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
We like what we like. The fact we all like different stuff is great!

I have to admit, if I ever ding my Iconic Strat' I just might cry.
Funny thing is my two Strats were pristine until I got my son. He would drag them around sit on them and I considered it a memory but if someone else would have done that I would have been all over them! Still funny how our brains and what we find acceptable, work.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Let me start by saying I have no intention to rain on your Parade, but $6,000 is a hell of alot of cash to spend on an artificially aged guitar with zero provenance . Understand when you purchase it, that is what you are getting, and you should plan on keeping it forever, because regardless of how it plays, it will most likely never be worth more than a new 6128 or what you paid for this one.
I would disagree. I've been keeping an eye on these for years, and they hold their value fairly well, and won't be depreciating to the price of a new Proline 6128 anytime soon. In the US, depending on specifics, Custom Shop Gretsches in the Jet family run about $5500-$6000 new. And they typically sell in the $4500-$5000 range used. Occasionally you can find a deal and snag one for less, but likely only if you find a motivated seller. Prolines depreciate similarly. As should any brand new product. I wouldn't try to talk somebody out of spending good money a nice new luxury sofa or high performance treadmill because they'll take a hit on resale. You spend good money on a high-end new product because you love it, not because you want to be able to get your money back out of it.
As far as custom shop goes if you follow stuff like that you may remember the Gretsch special edition George Harrison 6128 (aged and dinged) that was targeted to sell for $10,000 are on the secondary market now at $3,600...
I think you're way off there. MSRP on those was $20,000. IIRC, street was around $17,000. They don't pop up often, but on the few occasions I've seen secondhand examples come up for sale, they're usually priced well above $10,000. Now, I don't know what any given one might change hands for, but $3,600 would be an absurdly low price. I'd buy 10 at that price and make myself a small fortune.
This is almost like buying an extra $150,000 Porsche and just letting it sit in the garage.
I don't think Mr Swisher would be looking at buying this one unless he intends to use it.
Tomorrow I'll see if it's the one.
Good luck. I hope for you the spark is there. I really love the feel of the Custom Shop Gretsches I've tried and look forward to owning one, hopefully somewhat soon. But like you said, we like what we like, and not everyone like the same things.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
I would disagree. I've been keeping an eye on these for years, and they hold their value fairly well, and won't be depreciating to the price of a new Proline 6128 anytime soon. In the US, depending on specifics, Custom Shop Gretsches in the Jet family run about $5500-$6000 new. And they typically sell in the $4500-$5000 range used. Occasionally you can find a deal and snag one for less, but likely only if you find a motivated seller. Prolines depreciate similarly. As should any brand new product. I wouldn't try to talk somebody out of spending good money a nice new luxury sofa or high performance treadmill because they'll take a hit on resale. You spend good money on a high-end new product because you love it, not because you want to be able to get your money back out of it.

I think you're way off there. MSRP on those was $20,000. IIRC, street was around $17,000. They don't pop up often, but on the few occasions I've seen secondhand examples come up for sale, they're usually priced well above $10,000. Now, I don't know what any given one might change hands for, but $3,600 would be an absurdly low price. I'd buy 10 at that price and make myself a small fortune.

I don't think Mr Swisher would be looking at buying this one unless he intends to use it.

Good luck. I hope for you the spark is there. I really love the feel of the Custom Shop Gretsches I've tried and look forward to owning one, hopefully somewhat soon. But like you said, we like what we like, and not everyone like the same things.

Thanks for that. I'm excited, but I'm also ready to except that when I play it...it might just not be for me. And in person the colour may look very different.

If it is the one..it's coming home. If it's not then it was an exciting week of anticipation.

This time tomorrow...we'll all know.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
Thanks for that. I'm excited, but I'm also ready to except that when I play it...it might just not be for me. And in person the colour may look very different.

If it is the one..it's coming home. If it's not then it was an exciting week of anticipation.

This time tomorrow...we'll all know.
That's the right frame of mind to have.

SAguitar

Country Gent
Jan 17, 2020
Jack Plate, Oregon
I used to have a friend who was quite a video game fanatic, like nearly pathological about it. When he rated them, his highest rating was "Marriage Wrecker." It might be worth it to you, but this kind of guitar could possibly be classified as a Marriage Wrecker.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
I used to have a friend who was quite a video game fanatic, like nearly pathological about it. When he rated them, his highest rating was "Marriage Wrecker." It might be worth it to you, but this kind of guitar could possibly be classified as a Marriage Wrecker.

Hahaha totally. Luckily my wife is coming with me, and after 24 years with me.. she's seen me do much stupider things than this!!!

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Hahaha totally. Luckily my wife is coming with me, and after 24 years with me.. she's seen me do much stupider things than this!!!
She’s a keeper that one. Take real good care of her. I can’t believe how lucky I am to be (still) married to the same wonderful lady after so many years of my own ‘special’ brand of rock and roll nonsense.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Gearwise I have been allowed free reign cause first and foremost I bring in the bulk of the money, and have proven to be a somewhat sensible individual in regards to ratio of family necessities to my personal gear expenses.
The only time she put her foot down was when I was ogling a '54 Gibson L5...
She was right of course. They always are.

Last edited:

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Gearwise I have been allowed free reign cause first and foremost I bring in the bulk of the money, and have proven to be a somewhat sensible individual in regards to ratio of family necessities to my personal gear expenses.
The only time she put her foot down was when I was ogling a '54 Gibson L5...
She was right of course. They always are.
That’s right mate. Somewhat irritatingly wives do have a tendency to be inconveniently right in my strictly limited experience of the subject.