OD Pedal Help

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by BennytheJet, May 22, 2020.

1. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

I'm looking for a new overdrive pedal. I have a couple that I flip back and forth between, but I'm not in love with any of them right now.

I'm looking for something that gets me a little in the ballpark of Setzer's Ignition!-era sound. Whatever it is, it has to play well with my Atomic Brain. I'm mainly playing a 6118t-120 and a g5435, both of which have TV Classics. My main amp is a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I'm looking for something in the $100 (used) range if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Outlaw and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I have a Truetone Jekyll and Hyde that I love . It's an overdrive and distortion .
    Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg

GlenP and BFTmarshall like this.
  3. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    For those sounds through that amp maybe an OD1 or similar.

4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Boss od3 is great for low $$$

BohemianLikeMe, stevo and Scott like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Spend a little more, and your OD quest will end.

Yes, it plays well with @Tavo Brain!

20200214_095955.jpg

Fluid Drive

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Best drive I've ever used...Keeley-modded Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

GlenP likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This is the best answer IMO.

9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    just curious, which ones in your collection are you are growing tired of?
    Any of the usual suspects, i.e. a Tube Screamer?

I like the Seymour Duncan interpretation of that, the 805 Overdrive, the 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, Treble) give you a lot of flexibility to shape the sound. I usually use it at very slight Drive settings, more for a clean boost, but it does have some grit if you max it out.

10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Listening to your Setzer album suggestion, hard to say really. But for a low gain OD I love my Ibanez TS9DX. I use it on Turbo mode (more big low end!) and very low gain setting. It's close to that sound and probably $75
    I didn't like the TS808 versions I tried. They were all mids. TS9 or TS9DX for me.
    For easy to control volume in a band mix the Barber Gain Changer works great too. Not as meaty as the TS9DX but good .

j.s.c likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    :p

12. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Can I propose "Double Muff"... V.1 of course.
    yes indeed this pedal is more a treble booster (1st muff) which is chained with a fuzz box (2cd muff).

Btw it totally crappy and trebly if it's not the first pedal of your board (I used it only with very little boards actually 1 to 4 pedals).
    But it can do incredible things has it widen your guitar's master volume range of action. I dial the pedal a little too much fuzzy then tap it down with the master volume. It keeps the guitar tone 100% and add some sparkles ! Btw, it is considered as a turd on used market so you can expect <$50.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I gave up trying to decide what a OD pre amp distortion pedal and such are. I just look for a tone I think I am searching for. How do you decide you want an OD as opposed to and OD or light drive etc or Preamp. I love the JR Barnyard but it’s a pre, an RC Booster was a go to pedal for me as it had my clean channel going light drive with no issues or just over the edge of break up and allowed me to get a three channel Amp great from clean to metal hitting types of break up that just jumping between channels didn’t do. Now it’s a Mystery Brain in that role. I don’t know mini rant but And long way around saying maybe Just searching an OD is limiting your choices. Just saying.

BennytheJet and G5422T like this.
  14. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Was also gonna suggest the fluid drive. Maybe you can find that or a Detroit casket used? Or maybe look into some "tweed drive" pedals.

G5422T likes this.
  15. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Blues Driver for me too. Try others, unplug them, plug the BD2 back in

Scott likes this.
  16. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Blackstone Appliances

EDIT: Sorry out of the price range

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  17. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I just got the crayon od. I dig it. I use it with a mystery brain and it sounds great. It’s a little over sixty bucks and has the same settings as the fluid drive
    upload_2020-5-23_14-56-58.jpeg

GlenP and DennisC like this.
  18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    As I understand it, the Detroit Casket and Fluid Drive are the same pedal. It’s really the Detroit Casket Fluid Drive. The emphasis just changed from Detroit Casket to Fluid Drive in the enclosure graphics for later batch(es).

michelb, Merc, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yessir.. I was told the Boomer 50s graphics needed to go for a more Millennial friendly Monochromatic post modern vibe. thats the only thing changed. I'm ready to start passing around a tester unit for peeps to try out after their brain preamps or boost pedals. They get to play it for 48hrs and then send it off to the next guy in the group on an honor system of no keepsies, comes back to homey

nickurso, rob batz, michelb and 5 others like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice idea but doggone you’re taking a chance. I would get your list on here so everyone always knows who’s next and if worse comes to worse who drops the ball. Or keep it private to those you have dealt with and know you can trust. It sounds like you already have a qualifier that they will be people with a Brain.

michelb, capnhiho, Merc and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.