NUGD ... via UPS

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Jena, Mar 5, 2021.

1. What great tracking from United Parcel Service ...
    ... left "local" facility two hours ago ...
    OUT FOR DELIVERY
    ... maybe I should press "post" when guy in brown shorts pulls up the drive, but they promise delivery by tonight nonetheless.

With FedEx ... jus' try calling them - anybody -
    at their 800 number - I dare you !
    Double dare you. You WILL be disappointed.

2. So 50-50 they deliver to the wrong address !

That is what this world is like - serious chaos and ineptness at every bend

3. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    OUT FOR DELIVERY means it might arrive tomorrow.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sorry about your frustration and the delayed delivery. I really think that people are having trouble (like me) breathing with their masks on, and that makes work even more challenging.

A friend on the west coast, sent my Gretsch G6122-1962 from storage to the east coast last summer. FedEx was supposed to have me sign for it. Instead they put my $2,000+ guitar on the front porch. Luckily I was home. The signature block said COVID-19 when I checked on the internet tracking site.

Hang in there.

Jena likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’ve been lucky, knock on wood. Out for delivery has not failed me yet.

I did order a guitar Monday of this week, UPS stated it will be delivered Wednesday of this week. I knew better knowing where it shipped from Arizona and where it would arrive in the Bay Area to begin its final journey to my town. I figured Thursday at the earliest. I was right, UPS should hire me as to sit at home as a tracking consultant :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Jena likes this.
  6. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I always put +1 day to what they promise initially. Most often than not that's correct.

7. OK ... how much should you tip the UPS driver (?)

So, ...
    I'm cooking dinner late ... a chunk of Atlantic salmon had to thaw first ... and the potatoes 1/2 inch slices get baked/grilled and canned spinach marinating in apple cider vinegar (WAY better tasting than white vinegar btw ... costs a $ US buck more but well worth it imho - made from apples (not caramel colored fake)
    so anyhoo ... I planned to tip the UPS guy $10

A tap at the door, I drop the knife on the cutting board and run to the front door ... the guy leaves the pictured box next to the door ( yes I first took pics outside) ... and he is already half way to his UPS brown truck ... he's about 30 ft away and well in
    "ear shot" range ...

So, I yell out
    "Hey ... thanks !!!"
    He turns around, and uh ... (neither of us have a mask on btw) looks pretty tired and it will definitely be very dark by the time he gets back to the "local" UPS delivery facility - sun was just setting, took more pics of the sunset than the box outside.

So I yell ... "Wait ... want a tip ?"
    He sighs - barely audible really I think he said "Nah"
    or something.
    Poor guy ... he'll be home well after dark by the time he drops off the UPS truck.

I kinda felt guilty I wasn't at the door, but hadn't heard or seen the UPS truck pulling in.

[​IMG]

Music Go Rounds Virginia Beach tons of cool geets,
    they use UPS and packed box inside box - inside of outer box was filled with some of the construction paper and lots of scrap cardboard - PERFECT !

[​IMG]

thunder58, ZackyDog and Ricochet like this.
  8. Pic from the shop's online store ...
    ebony (composite) fingerboard ...

[​IMG]

Fingerboard/fretboard like entire package was also well-packed ...

[​IMG]

MrWookiee and audept like this.
  9. So it looks like ...

the local sheriff will consider this stolen property,
    and I'll be in the slammer soon.

[​IMG]

New strings, and tuning it with Guitar Tuna now.

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, looks good! Is that a veneer on the body or a solid quilted maple?

11. Oh yes, as expected it is veneer ...
    and it is light ... 20lbs shipping weight - alder body ?
    Absolutely great deal from the Commonwealth of Virginia

Lots of detail too much to get into ...
    I gotta get coffee goin' ...
    $381 with the shipping, same shipping costs anywhere in country, or one can pick it up (or similar) without shipping for $329.99,
    but then you'd pay tax anyway in Virginia.

They have various righty and a lefty T-style,
    these are made in Korea, btw

New Used Guitar Day was a win.
    The NNGD next week, but together ...
    when that shows up - is two lefty for
    about $1000. - a little just over with shipping,
    which was my budget anyway.

It is a buyer's market guys and gals.

12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Jena and HNGD. Glad it finally arrived and in one piece. Now enjoy it after the long wait.

Jena likes this.
  13. Thanks Dana ... your son had his 10th birthday party last year (?) ... so he's still like "10" this year again (!)
    without the leap year (?)

With Guitar Tuna, slowly cinching down tighter and higher pitch a little at a time on the new strings they set me up with ...
    [​IMG]

14. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Very nice guitar! Especially for that kind of money. What does the third knob do?

I'd dress those fret ends if it were mine.

15. They look fine to me really ...

just tuning slowly across the strings ... very close now, slowly letting the neck get even tension ... balanced on the neck.

fwiw, try Guitar Tuna ... it is easy to nail it !
    Just acoustically, it runs fine offline and has
    chord ear training exercise etc. too,
    that all run offline as well - a free app that
    works great imho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Interesting guitar... but I'm still distracted by the fact that you tip the UPS guy. Does anyone else do that?? Have I just been a jack-arse my whole life? I'm going to lose sleep over this!!

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats !

Jena likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Cool looking quilted top. Enjoy!

Jena likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve never heard of such a thing either. No sleep lost on my end. I think they get paid nicely with benefits. Obviously they’re working harder in the Rona world but at least they’ve got a job.

20. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I use to be a plumber, now do property maintenance. I get tips. Most was $50. Usually a $10 or $20, a couple of times gift cards. I am always getting offered food and drinks. We always tip $10 for a food delivery and $25 if they have to carry something heavy or do work, but they have to be polite and courteous. It's good for the karma.

I was thinking about how harrowing it is waiting for a delivery, and then worrying if it is going next door, or going to show up damaged, or if it is going to get stolen. And then the minute you give up and do something else, it shows up. I feel the need to feed my karma. It worked last time, I saw the UPS guy coming and met him at the door, and it was around noon. Maybe that makes me a little screwed up in the head, like superstitious? I know that tipping the pizza guy will not make the UPS guy come when I want him to. but if I didn't tip I would think that is why it was left at the wrong house or was damaged.

Jena likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.