NUGD-Setzer Hot Rod Trans Black

Bounty Hunter

Gretschie
Apr 29, 2010
Illinois
Picked up this beauty yesterday. A 2018 model. My third Gretsch and first Pro line. I've always loved no nonsense guitars with as few knobs to twiddle as possible and the Hot Rods certainly have that in spades. I'm the 2nd owner. The brass Tru Arc bridge was added by the original owner and I welcome opinions on the choice of brass. Seems to me that the heavy metal would dampen vibration of the top but I'm not really an expert by any means. Although I've dug my 2 Electromatic models, this guitar is a big step up and the build quality is amazing. I wasn't too sure I'd like the two tone paint job but the see through finish is very classy with both the black top/back and the grey/white on the sides & neck. As to my thread asking about neck profile, the V shaped neck on this guitar feels great but it's not really any beefier than the U shape on my others. I still would love Gretsch to offer a chunkier neck but that's my problem and Gretsch seems to be selling plenty of guitars without my input :)

I had just polished and restrung the guitar prior to taking these crappy photos and the locking tuners make chaining them much easier. My dog seems to think I missed a spot. Either that or he likes the taste of the polish. Thanks for all the knowledge that is shared on this site. I have played mostly acoustic for the last 20 years but getting back to electric a bit more these days and a good Gretsch seems like the way to go. Time to smudge it up again!

Attachments

• Setzer Front.jpg
    Setzer Front.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Setzer Headstock.jpg
    Setzer Headstock.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Setzer Toki.jpg
    Setzer Toki.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 77

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
You and your dog have good taste! 🐶 🎸

I don’t know if the current day Setzer’s are thinner than yours, but it looks like a decent size hollow body. Mine is 2.75”, a 2018 Setzer Nashville.

Is that an ebony fretboard? I’ve seen other colors, and maybe different model year’s have rosewood, but I’m partial to the darker woods.

Attachments

• Setzer Toki.jpg
    Setzer Toki.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
You and your dog have good taste! 🐶 🎸

I don’t know if the current day Setzer’s are thinner than yours, but it looks like a decent size hollow body. Mine is 2.75”, a 2018 Setzer Nashville.

Is that an ebony fretboard? I’ve seen other colors, and maybe different model year’s have rosewood, but I’m partial to the darker woods.

These discontinued models had the thicker body 2 3/4" body, but have currently returned back to 2.5". These had ebony fretboards to with a slightly wider than 9" radius fretboard.
I had the Tomato soup model and it was so good!

specs on this lovely two tone!

Specs:

Weight: 7.35 lbs (Approx)
Model Name:G6120SH Brian Setzer Hot Rod
Model Number: 240-0115-(894)
Series: Signature Series from the Professional Collection
Colors: (894) 2-Tone Highland Green
Category: Hollow Body Guitars
Body Style: Single Cutaway
Scale Length: 24.6" (625mm)
Top: Arched Laminated Maple
Bracing: 1959 Style Trestle Bracing
Back & Sides: Laminated Maple Body, 16" Wide, 2.75" Deep
Neck: 2-Piece Maple
Pickups: Two TV Jones® Brian Setzer Signature Pickups
Pickup Switching:
3-Position Toggle:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
Controls:
Master Volume,
Width at Nut: 1-11/16" (43mm)
Fretboard: Ebony, 9.45" Radius (240mm)
Bridge: Pinned Rosewood-Based Adjusto-MaticTM Bridge
Tailpiece: Gretsch Bigsby® B6C Vibrato Tailpiece
Hardware: Chrome-Plated
Finish: Gloss Urethane
Case: Includes G6241 Deluxe Hardshell Case,msrp $220.00
Frets: 22
Machine Heads: Deluxe Shaller® Nickel-Plated Die-cast Locking Tuners
Unique Features: Chrome Hot Rod Plate on Headstock, Neo Classic "Thumbnail" Inlay Position Markers,Bound Fingerboard,Multiple Body Bindings,Delrin® Nut,1959 Style Trestle Bracing,
Knurled Strap Retainer Knobs, Adjustable Truss Rod

RG7X

Synchromatic
Nov 11, 2018
Los Angeles
It does look a bit purple but that must be the lighting and/or cell phone "quality" pics. It's black w/o purple hues.

It does have slight purple to it. I miss mine. It was a chameleon of sorts. In direct light it was a shade of dark brown. Then it would dark black, charcoal and occasionally, it kind of looked like those dark purple popsicles. Congrats!