NTD (New Tele Day)

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
@LesB3 - That is sweet looking and powerful. 500k pots? What's the neck profile like?

32 years playing Les and 19 of them only owning Strats so I too thought Teles were somewhat of an afterthought. I know they can "heat up" in the right hands with the right setup so I got my 1st less than 2 years ago and then the goodness led me to #2 around 6 months ago.

A conversation with another member here had us both agree that Teles and many Strats "need some help" so I was able to get the right pedal combos to provide the extra "strength" when needed when I'm not looking for just "the sweet".

Congrats on that beauty and give us a tone report when you've given it a few good workouts!

LesB3

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
@LesB3 - That is sweet looking and powerful. 500k pots?
Honestly, I don't know! I'd have to tear it apart to make sure since the build sheet doesn't mention it (and I never thought to specify). The electronics are fairly simple, one volume control per pickup, three way switch.

I got there in a roundabouts way, mostly because of the way the CS builds these things. This wasn't a "master built" model (it would have cost 50% more) and there were a few things you wouldn't think would need a "master" around that seemed to trigger it automatically. The silliest was a color-matched headstock -if you wanted one of those, you had to go "Masterbuilt." Anyways, I wanted them to put a mud switch in the upper bout, but they absolutely refused, no matter how much money I would throw at them. I then asked them if they could turn the pickup switch into a mud switch and they said no, so I just kept it as a "hotrod" circuit just in case I want to switch some day. I think I'm going to leave as-is though... They also refused to do neo-classic inlays.

What's the neck profile like?

It is a 60's style oval "C" shape, 9.5" radius, 1.65" nut. Butt is wider at 2.2"
It has vintage frets which I think I might prefer at this point... And you can't really tell in the pics, but the neck is bound in tortoise as well.

Playing it...
It has got to be the lowest action guitar that I have, sometimes I feel like the strings aren't even there. It's strung with 10's, but they feel like 9's. No buzzing whatsoever, really easy to play. The (width) taper from the nut to the butt seems to be fairly steep, and its a thin neck. The only other Tele I have is a '52 AV that has the baseball bat neck, thicker all around, but a less steep taper, width-wise. If I didn't know any better, I'd have said that this was a compound radius neck, 9.5 -12, but there's no evidence of that on the build sheet. I haven't had much time to play it, but so far, I do like it.

32 years playing Les and 19 of them only owning Strats so I too thought Teles were somewhat of an afterthought. I know they can "heat up" in the right hands with the right setup so I got my 1st less than 2 years ago and then the goodness led me to #2 around 6 months ago.

I'm still not convinced on the Strat. I have *1* (just because) but honestly have not found a sound on it I like. The only Strats I seem to like the sound of come with humbuckers or P-90's.

A conversation with another member here had us both agree that Teles and many Strats "need some help" so I was able to get the right pedal combos to provide the extra "strength" when needed when I'm not looking for just "the sweet".

Congrats on that beauty and give us a tone report when you've given it a few good workouts!
Will do! Initially, I couldn't figure out why this thing sounded so good right out of the box. No fiddling with any of my amp settings or pedals, and it sounded absolutely wonderful through my brownface clone. Near as I can tell, these Supertrons sound just like my other HT-based guitars do, when they've been goosed a bit by my Atomic Brain. They may be my new favorite pickup... It's got me wondering what they might sound like in a (hollow) Jet or Guild Aristocrat...

More to follow!

RobertusMaximus

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2022
Missouri City, Texas
Never really was a Tele guy, I always looked at them as something older dudes played when they got sick of everything else and were too old to care any more. Kind of like buying a 'Vette when you turn 50.
That being said, I guess I'm getting old...

View attachment 204474

View attachment 204475

View attachment 204476

View attachment 204477 View attachment 204478

View attachment 204479

Roasted Pine body, Tortoise Binding, TVJ Supertrons, Bigsby
Roasted, Tinted Maple Neck, Ebony Fretboard, MOP inlays, Bone nut, 9.5" Radius
Beautiful Guitar! Congrats!

Latest posts