NTBD

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by DennisC, Jun 30, 2020.

1. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Aloha comrades,

I got a new pedal. As I just look at it, it looks like it must be really really expensive, some boot-eekish thing or so - it has a purple LED, indicating it being really exotic and stuff, and a raw aluminum housing ... must be so damned good that the guy who made it doesn't need fancy decals or something, ...

... well, I built it. It was a kit from musikding.de, the Birdie, a one transistor circuit, a treble boost. So claiming that I built it is, in this case, the lowest form of having built it ... but it's not over yet, this is a highly addictive entry-level drug!

Sounds really nice. Before a drive device, it does what is to be expected - drive it even more. Sounds great into the Big Muff or Sparkledrive - it's just the desired bit more overdriven, a little bit louder of course, but as it doesn't boost the low frequencies as much, it doesn't get muddy. Getting the amp into saturation, of course, goes further with than without it ... that surprisen't anyone.

I looked into treble boost pedals and thought, man, I want one, and as they all seem to have a similar circuit, that looks really easy, building it by myself will be more fun and cost less ... so I did so. I came to the conclusion that I won't need a battery connection, therefore I simplified that out of the circuit, and, as the battery is connected via a stereo jack, I put in mono on both ends.

The unfancy design won't remain forever, but cosmetics come after function - I might add a tone pot or a switch into it to have the treble in the boosting adjustable ... as the circuit is about the simplest one I know, modifying it doesn't make me afraid.

As these are kits, they consist of a few bags of parts and PCBs, which was why I decided to go with a kit and not with just a collection of parts ... would have worked, too, but using a PCB made it easier to fit into the housing, and reduced the amount of work. A more complicated circuit may also benefit from the lower likeihood of mistakes, but in this one, I don't see many opportunities to mess it up. I had the LED connected the wrong way ... SO SAD! ... but everything else worked from the first try.

upload_2020-6-30_19-39-27.jpeg

... the LED makes it sound even cooler, because it is purple.

Anyway ... I'll try a few things with it ... with its guts ... and maybe build or buy another housing, or just paint this one in a cool design ... a little box of cast alu isn't that ugly either, I ... I'll see what I do about its looks.

... how about you? What pedals did you build yourself? Bought a kit or all by yourself? Worth it, ain't it?

2. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    [​IMG]
    When the Covid started I got a kit aand made this, complete with custom waterslide decals and some hammered spray paint.
    Yes they are addictive, but I'm holding off for now on any more.

bhatta, Merc, DennisC and 3 others like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Nice, congrats!

My first was the BYOC FET boost kit, followed by one of their El Segundo then Large Beavers. I've built a couple from scratch on veroboard PTP wired too. Probably had my most successful result from a Devi Ever Vintage Fuzz Master kit & that FET boost.

Still have a Devi Ever Noise Floor kit & a board & components for a crazy octave zipper fuzz I drew up waiting for me to put together, but I figured out that my eyes are too bad & hands too big & stupid to do too much pedal assembly w/o experiencing a high degree of frustration in the process so they've remained in storage for a few years.

Merc, DennisC and pmac11 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats @DennisC , enjoy it and have fun

5. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    el segundo!

you’re making me miss my old dII. such a perfect sound. so... thick.

DennisC and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I first started mod'ing Wah pedals and Tube screamers in the 90s :) Back then it was "duuuude you can take your TS9 and convert it to TS808 specs!!" or "Brohhhh, I gave my wah pedal true bypass and installed a fasel inductor" ...this of course is how we speak in so cal while eating avocados and sprouts. :) :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cool. My first was this fun box from BYOC . I put this together last year. I don't think I was eating avacados... oranges maybe...
    20200630_165321.jpg

LivingMyDream, bhatta, Merc and 3 others like this.
  8. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm, sprouts ... sprouts are very DIYable! I did so for years, stopped growing them when I went away for a few months, then ... somehow, it got forgotten. I should do that again, they're best when they were alive a minute before eating.

I need practice in soldering small stuff that is tightly packed ... have something in my mind I'd like to try.

Anyway, this was not the last one.

pmac11 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Photos later ... camera's battery is empty.

SO SAD!

Anyway, I did something ... after I accidented a thermal experiment onto my left index finger when soldering, I couldn't play a few days, so I did more soldering without experiments involving human flesh. If it tastes like it smells, cannibals must lack of taste buds by the way ... as this circuit is sold in different boosting DIY-kits with only minor changes, mainly the capacitors before and after the transistor, and in all cases their capacity being identical, I installed a 2P6T rotary switch to employ different sets of identical capacitors. Now it really has the DIY-look on the inside, as they all look different, :D, who cares, anyway - instead of a fixed 2.2 nF, I now have 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 10, 22, 47 nF in those positions. Which changes how it is boosting which frequencies.

Also - bigger housing. I couldn't fit the sixway into it and during the abovementioned experiment, I also performed a motion that is very dynamic and not very planned, which made me need a new pot anyway, as I didn't have a matching one lying around, so I had to order it somewhere, and why not order it where I can get a housing, too.

Two connections still are done by clamps (DC 9V and LED), because if soldered, I can't take that stuff out without desoldering it and later resoldering the same connection over and over ... but I wanna paint it, so ... either I use some sort of connectors inside it, or solder it when I'm done painting the housing.

But, anyway ... came to the conclusion that next time I won't use a kit ... I know how the circuits work, at least some of them, which sub-circuits are usually employed for what purpose, ... I only see it doing something for me regarding the space I need, and in skipping the room-efficient placement.

Anyway, ... making stuff is cool.

10. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Dang! You guys make me jealous!! We don't get build kits where I am at...
    That's one project I would love to take up.
    Enjoy yours
    Love these pedals

11. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Where do you live?

Maybe someone ships to you ... or ... if you're used to soldering, a schematic and the actual components should do. If not, you could get used to it ... the circuit of the boosters mine is one of is pretty simple:

https://www.musikding.de/docs/musikding/birdie/birdie_schalt.pdf

It will be a bit larger if built without a PCB (actually, it is two, one for the boosting circuit, one for the footswitch), but work just as well.

Hm ... I have seen quite similar kits on amazon, which are maybe even more convenient.

bhatta likes this.
  12. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Thank you Dennis for egging me on :)
    I am from India and the BYOC thing is not a market here. These kits are not available here :(
    Also, while I am quite ok with soldering and have done quite a bit but I cannot work on generic boards. That's where I stopped.
    In these lockdown would have been great to get a kit and make myself something!

So today I will start a project to make my own pedalboard. Will post a thread on that sometime!

DennisC likes this.
  13. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Oh ... that sucks.

... not even amazon has some you can get delivered to your place? They look the most convenient to me - housing is ready and drilled, PCB and parts are complete and right-valued, there may be a manual or something, ...

What do you mean with generic boards? PCBs ... ? They're often pretty crammed and full ... but I think one can get used to that with a but of practice ... like, buy a perfboard and a bag of whatever, solder a row of these next to each other, or ... or so.

But, anyway ... any plans to build something in the near future, in case you get what you need?

bhatta likes this.
  14. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Nah, not even Amazon sells them here :(
    PCB's are cool for me, I just don't have the patience to work on boards where I don't know where which componants good. By generic I meant boards where there are no markers and connections done at the back.

Let's see, this Saturday gonna start building me a pedalboard . Let's see how that goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.