NRD...When Used Is Not Used!!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Back in Black, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats and HNGD. Nice looking Ric, enjoy.

2. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey MS,

Single mono jack, small square chromed jack plate. The 325 C58 has the ''accurate, period correct'' elongated jack plate, again, single/mono.

I have a supply of ''Lennon Mod'' pieces, Bowtie Bigsby/Sorkin Bridges, and Burns knobs. Not sure yet if I'm going to make some changes. I made the changes on my 325 C58 immediately following purchase. The rivet bolt on the Bigsby needs to be changed as well, the correct bolt is the flat top Philips bolt as shown on the 325 C58. That's my change on the C58. The rivet bolt needs to be tapped out, the bolt hole in the arm countersunk, and the correct bolt fitted. I have a bag full of these too.

I have one elongated jack plate, but it resides on my RM 370.

There used to be a guy out of NYC, who did up all these parts (Tonewerks)...Lennon/McGuinn...sadly he is no longer in business.

I now make it a point, when I'm buying specialty parts, to buy multiples, as you never know when the ''specialty guys'' are going to disappear.

Last year when I had a world wide search on for a vintage Burns tremolo, I bought everyone I found (four), and have two unused remaining. I'd much rather have the parts and not need them, than need them and not have them.

Best, thanks,

BIB.

IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1319.JPG

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    new6659, JC higgy and Mr Swisher like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on your beautiful new Ric, BIB!

There's nothing quite like getting a used guitar that exceeds your expectations.

4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    You are my new Ricky guru!! I thibk its a wise move to get the bits in multiples if poss. You are right, the old masters are dying and these parts will cease to exist.. then it'll be just high end, bespoke made one offs to capture the essence of original. Commissioning someone to make those bits will cost.

The wood grain and binding in the bottom photo is just spectacular, I love it!

Back in Black likes this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have lots of family in Oakland and SF so you are likely to see me at your door one of these days! Thanks for the offer.

juks likes this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MW,

Unfortunately most of these ''specialty parts/assemblies are built based on trends...John Lennon/Roger McGuinn/Eddy Vanhalen/Malcolm Young...to name only a few.

After the trend/fad has passed, production ceases and you become a captive audience for the scalpers and unscrupulous re-sellers.

I try to avoid that when ever possible, and although I sell a few bits to help out a fellow enthusiast, I never dry my stock out completely, because you never know, when someone may have a lost gem for sale that you want to tweak.

Attached a few more pictures of my Rics, seven in total.

Best,

BIB

IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1070.JPG DSCF1411.JPG

JC higgy, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  7. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That would be cool! I'm in Fremont 35 min from Oakland, traffic allowing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.