NPW: Spaceman, Orange, Origin, & Darkglass content

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I had a big new pedal week here, trying to further discover what works best for me on the bass side of the house.

It started last weekend when I noticed they had an Orange Terror Stamp in stock while I was checking out at the local GC:
    [​IMG]
    My understanding is it's basically a Micro Dark in pedal form w/ a 12AX7 pre section, a tube buffered loop, & a 20w Class AB power section. It also has a cab sim headphone/line out (supposed to be modeled on a PPC412) that I've yet to try. My guitar use through it has been limited to my brief test drive at the store using it out of the speaker out into a PRS 1x12 which was providing some pretty impressive crunch & edge of breakup sounds w/ a used Supro Hampton. I've been playing through it a heck of a lot using it as a preamp for bass plugged into the Power Station 2 & a variety of cabs & when paired up w/ an MXR 10 band after the output of it, I am really fairly blown away how well it's working for me. There's a narrow range for the gain & shape controls that provide some really tasty oversaturated "cleans" that can be boosted into completely satisfying overdrive. It's got a nice dynamic tube response to it too.

I have been really impressed w/ the Spaceman Saturn VI Harmonic Boost I picked up in the classifieds here a while back for guitar or bass & figured I'd try another one (or two ;) ) Spaceman pedal(s) last week. I decided probably the most immediately useful for me might be the Atlas III clean boost & in the process of figuring that out got really intrigued by the Mission Control as a bit of a swiss army knife for routing/blending/expression control:
    [​IMG]
    The Atlas III is certainly the more clean/preamp between it & the Saturn VI & has a tighter low end & a better attack emphasis for the bass so I think it's going to land on the bass board pulling clean-ish preamp duites. Seems to have a similarly great dynamic feel to me to the Saturn & like-wise way more boost on tap than I should ever need to dig into. I'm hoping to get in some quality time w/ the Mission Control this evening, lots of possibilities for this one for noisemaking/weird stuff, while providing some great sounding & solidly built more pedestrian functionality. My experience w/ the Spaceman pedals combined w/ the impression I get from the better demos has me feeling the appearance of one of their Titan fuzzes might not be too far away for me... :oops:

More bass specific here, but someone might be interested, I decided to take the plunge on an Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Bass compressor to see how it compares to the MXR M76 & M87 & Empress compressors for me. Also managed to move along the Darkglass B7K v2 (which was a great pedal, but more modern/Scandanavian metal flavored when dialing up the drive & blend than is my jam) & replace it w/ the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe (very, very similar to the B7K v2, but more SVT flavored when cranking it up):
    [​IMG]
    The Cali76 has worked well so far just plugging it in & using the force for the settings, not sure if it's ~$180 better than the MXR boxes for me just yet, but I need to get a better feel for the controls before I pass judgment for myself. It seems like it's built to survive a direct hit from a tactical nuke & the pre has a very pleasing & authentic Urei type quality so far to me though. The Vintage Deluxe is delivering very nicely on what I expected (i.e.: a B7K v2 for those more into old school drive sounds) & it's working very well providing nicely tuned tone shaping for cleans, excellent vintage flavored drive, or both.

Here's a bonus shot of the board I've been playing w/ them on as they arrived:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Wow! You had a great week. You're gonna be busy for a while!;)

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Nice. I’ve watched many demos on Spaceman. I’ve always been intrigued but never taken the plunge. Some of the old ones can get up there in price. Thanks for the write up.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool, enjoy! Always wanted something Spaceman, but I just play Spacemen 3 records instead :)

Speaking of Orange, my most recent fuzz is a Fur Coat Octave Fuzz, very psych with a strong octave note—Foxx Tone machine type ..

mister rain and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a Micro Dark to my ear it is a one trick pony but what it does it does well, if I had it to do over again I would have saved for a Dark Terror instead. I can say having the Bluetooth functionality in it is nice for breaking in speakers. I live Orange but it seems mostly just the Orange full tube amps. The hybrids are nice but missing a little three dimensionality. I think it would make a great pedal though! Set it for what it’s good at and your golden on and off at a whim!

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    You might want to give this one a spin if you run into one & are so inclined. It's pretty darn feasible to use it just as a pre on your board & it honestly seemed like it might be splitting the difference in voicing between Micro Dark & Micro Terror to me.

Reminded me very favorably of an older Tiny Terror combo I played through a lot except it sounded better cleaned up a bit. There's been a lot of nice dimension to it plugged into tube power to my ears so far & I was pretty happy w/ the soundstage using its power section at the fairly moderate gain settings I was using it at.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a Gold Lion 12ax7, the good one, I am going to put in and try at some point. I think it will help a lot! I’ll keep my eyes open for one of those pedals they seem like a good deal.

8. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    For bass fuzz, give the Spaceman Nebula a look. It has a clean blend to preserve bottom end, and also an octave up blend - both very useful for bass rigs.

9. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    That is a great bunch of pedals. Thought I don't own any, I play through Orange stuff every chance I get, they're just cool.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that is an amazing haul! :)

11. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    same here.

12. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    every now and then i consider an origin compressor.

then i remember how much i hate compression.

and it works so well for so many of you!

(sigh)

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

Got the main bass board reconfigured w/ most of these new ones (except for the Terror Stamp which will likely replace the Interblock 45 on the practice board for a bit):
    [​IMG]
    Signal goes bass > Origin Cali76 Compact Bass > Sonic Research ST-300 > Spaceman Atlas > OneControl Mosquite Trails [One Control One Loop{Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes > VFE Tractor Beam > Fairfield Circuitry Modele B} > Darkglass Vintage Deluxe] > One Control Junction Box (for amp FX loop insert) > Spaceman Mission Control [3Leaf Audio Wonderlove > EQD Space Spiral > Mr. Black Analog Chorus/Vibrato > Mr. Black Supermoon] > JHS Buffered Splitter > amp in or FX loop return
    Undercarriage shot:
    [​IMG]

I really don't use it for guitar, but it's kind of a must have for bass for me.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, some awesome stuff there. Spaceman makes such interesting pedals, my bandmate has a few.

15. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i’m really enjoying my mr black panatrem. they do good work.

if i used my de bass as a bass, a compressor would make sense, but it’s a guitar for me.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I got to spend some time twisting knobs in the mostly new drive section today into the PF50T stack & TLDR: I'm pretty damn thrilled so far :D

Diving deeper into the Cali76 has done wonders in affirming it as a sound investment for me. Either the M76 or M87 work great for me but, surprise! the killer differentiators for me exposed themselves when I started playing w/ the combined Attack/Release & the HPF side chain on the Cali ;)

The HPF side chain is a really damn nice feature & seems to result in a very musical preservation of lows for me in most circumstances so far. I could set vaguely the same thing up w/ the Empress too & ultimately have a bit more control, but having it built-in in a nicely functional manner for most of my use cases helps keep things simpler to manage on the board & conserves real estate.

Running at 18V I've yet to be able to make it clip w/ any of the basses until I've got the ratio & input set so it's basically beating the heck out of it in near limiter territory, which is nothing I'd generally want any part of. The MXRs & the Empress seem a bit more fragile in this regard.

The parallel compression capability is another cool plus it has over the MXRs for me (although after spending some time w/ them I learned to not fear series compression so much).

I think I'll really miss the multi-segment LED monitoring from either of the MXRs or the Empress on this board when I'm switching basses up frequently, but I'm starting to be able to recognize the yellow "approaching limiting territory" color shift from the jewel on the Cali76 better & learning how long & hard I can bounce off the limiting w/o ruining my stoke so to speak :)

Gain staging on the drive pedals is working very well for me too:
    I'm loving the sounds using the Atlas ~3:15 as a base clean sound, always on preamp w/ the PF50T dialed for a good saturated clean that will give me some lovely tube compression & just a touch of growl/hair when I dig into the strings pretty well.

The Vintage Deluxe is dialed for a bit more focus & attack in the various EQ'ing options on hand w/ just the right amount of old school grind/breakup to sound like a pushed tube power section that's lets things get a bit more raucous w/ maximum enthusiasm in my right hand but still passing for "clean" for me when I finger lightly.

Kicking on the Modele B in the fuzz loop sans Four Eyes or Tractor Beam gives it an extra gear pushing the Vintage Deluxe that is seeming like it will be sublime for the driven tone I've been chasing for a while, w/ a nice degree of feel & dynamics & the drive present enough in the mids to make the attack pop w/ a degree of aggression & urgency but still plenty strong & focused in the lows/low mids to serve as the foundational element bass usually ought to be for me.

The Four Eyes gives me a good tuneable & predictable fuzz option when it's time to jump in the ball pit & just have fun & actually stacks pretty nicely w/ the rest of the drive chain enabled. I haven't managed to get to the phasing sound I'm looking for w/ the Tractor Beam again yet, but I know from previous experience it's got to be in there somewhere...

I'm really liking the ability to blend the whole drive loop in w/ the post Atlas clean signal & w/ a twiddle of the blend knobs of the Mosquite Trails & the Vintage Deluxe it's seeming very easy to use it for just its tone shaping capabilities w/o adding significant compression or clipping.

I haven't got to dive too deep into the time/mod loop w/ the Mission Control but brief experimenting w/ the LFO envelope fading of the chorus or triggered delay/verb swells leads me to believe I'm going to have tons of fun w/ it :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Henry and Bertotti like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You have been busy!

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Totally worth it, considering how long I've been chasing this out of a single amp setup :D Hopefully the verdict holds up once I've made it through all the basses & exposed it to a band mix & bigger room.

I apologize for the big wall 'o' text, just got rolling there & couldn't shut up ;)

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No apologies needed these types of reviews are valuable to some of us! I base a lot of decisions based off what others say usually because I see their reviews of gear I have or have tried and can better judge their opinions of gear unknown to me!

Also your wall of text makes sense! I have had a few walls of text and when I’m done I can’t tell if I did a good job of conveying my impressions or not! You did great!

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am totally fascinated about the Mission Control even though I still am not sure what it does after reading a few descriptions. I will check out some videos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.