NPUD: TV Jones T-90s

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Shadowy_Man, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    So, I recently installed Gretsch HS Filtertrons on my 5420, wanting to get the "full Gretsch" experience on my first Gretsch. While they sound great, when I compare with my other guitar that has humbucker size P90s, I prefer the sound of the P90s. That just fits better with my tastes and style. So, wanting my Gretsch to be my main guitar and have the sound I like the most, I sold a couple of things and bought some TV Jones T90s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the sound, they're just what I was looking for. Output-wise they're about the same as the HS Filters, by the way. But they have that slightly mid-forward P90 thing, but not muddy or overwound or anything like that.

The look however isn't quite right with a gold pickguard, For some reason the black plastic and matte gold pickguard/rings is too much. I thought it would have a Dynasonic vibe (looks wise) but for some reason it doesn't.

It looks better without the pickguard:

[​IMG]

I was thinking possibly swapping the cover with a cream version. Thoughts? These aren't my photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also thinking maybe silver rings would look best if I stay with black covers.

S.R.Cash, Marv666, audept and 7 others like this.
  2. JAP09

JAP09 Electromatic

Nov 12, 2019
    Atlanta, Ga
    Congrats on the pickups! T90s are great. I definitely prefer the cream. It ties in better with the binding. I’m convinced that TV Jones don’t make a bad pickup. Love my TV classics to the degree that it prompted me to get a set of T90s for another guitar. They are awesome too, so now I’m thinking about reviving my old strat and putting some Starwood’s in it.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  3. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Electromatic

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Go cream. Reminds me of the guitar in this video. Good luck and glad to hear that you like the T-90s. I want to try a set one of these days.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  4. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Shadowy_Man likes this.
  5. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Freakin killer higher gain p90 tone. Notice he's got the mud switch in the down position for that almost cocked wah thing. Wonder what value he has in there....

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good job. Silver covers for me.

Outlaw likes this.
  7. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Nickle covers with gold bezels
    Then put the pickguard back on.

8. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yeah, that's a good look! I almost think maybe I should get clear rings and paint the undersides to match cream pickguard covers?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks! TV Jones only sells black or cream covers for these.

10. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Those gold ones fit full size P90s, but these are Filtertron sized. Gold would be a good look though!

Right now I'm playing Chet Atkins stuff and Jazz and some rockabilly, a little surf. Obviously Filters are perfect for Chet, but I just like the tonality of P90 style pickups better. They seem to work perfectly for everything I play.

11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m glad you found your sound. I like P90’s as well. My vote would be for the cream over black.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    BUT... HOW DO THEY SOUND!
    Yes, cream covers.

13. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Better note separation than Filtertrons. Similar overall tonality, but a bit more complex overtones in the middle position. Nice and vocal sounding in the neck position, very nice for jazz. Doesn't have the "chime" of Filters. If you compared them with full size P90s, these would be similar but a little sweeter sounding, a bit less fat I think.

These have Filtertron magnets and Filtertron pole screws, so there is a little Filtertron DNA in there.

I play with like a 95% clean tone with varying amounts of reverb, tremolo and delay, if that helps for a frame of reference.

swivel and RomanS like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sorry, I meant to say silver bezels, not covers!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I agree on going with cream. Glad you like the pickups.

16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks, sounds good! Me too, mostly clean with a touch of grit. I like normal P90's and wondered about these. 'Trons are cool, but for some things just too much compression for me. That kinda soft round edge is not my thing except on certain songs. Then it's great. But I'm lazy, and dont often setup two guitars at a gig.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well imo black or cream, different rings etc makes no difference so stick with black.
    All P-90 pups look cheap n nasty imo - whether dog-eared or rectangular.
    I can understand people going for them for their unique tones but they ruin the look of every guitar imo.

btw - I've never heard these TV Jones P-90's.
    You're probably a clean player but how noisy are they with a bit of overdrive?
    Same as other P-90s or less so?

18. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I think P90s look fine, albeit not as cool looking as Filtertrons!

With overdrive the noise isn't bad. Similar to other P90s, maybe a bit better since the coil is narrower

19. Pcampbell

Pcampbell Gretschie

Feb 26, 2017
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I would say cream covers too. I think they look slightly better (but only slightly, in my opinion) as both colors look good.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  20. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I love p90’s and prefer the cream color myself. I wouldn’t pay any attention to those who dislike the looks of p90’s as it doesn’t help out here in this particular thread. I play my p90’s with overdrive and noise is not a problem. Looks great, enjoy!

I went from the Blacktops to T-Armonds on my 5420. No regrets
    DAAE96A9-B2AE-47BA-976B-8A5560287DA8.jpeg

Groutsch, Gancho, tolm and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.