NPUD + new control layout

lordhelmet

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2020
Germany
I just wanted to share the latest mods of my 2016 G2420T.

About a year ago, I had a P90 installed, but since then the control layout always bothered me, especially when I wanted to use the middle PU on its own.

So inspired by the controls of the three-pickup G2627 I had a third toggle switch installed.
It might look crazy, but it is extremly practical! You can dial in any combination in seconds without turning the volume knobs on and off.
  • Switch 1: neck – neck+bridge – neck
  • Switch 2: down: P90 off – middle: P90 on – up: isolated P90
  • Switch 3: tone switch
The luthier also hot-rodded the wiring by deactivating the volume-pots, since I never used them.

And I changed the pickups to a TV Jones SuperTron in the neck and an MagnaTron in the bridge position in brushed nickel.

Now it is a versatile, crazy tone machine with lots of different sounds! 0EFCFE6A-C8A4-4429-B465-2B515D9348FA.jpeg 21353C66-7481-4066-8E84-D90CB182EAC9.jpeg B3F3CC03-FC12-4392-8E68-CCE708AAF088.jpeg

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
Having seen your p-90 mod in another thread, I've been mildly considering putting one between my filtertrons in my 5120.

I know you put a Lollar 50s in yours. Was it the middle p-90 pickup they offer, or neck or bridge? If you had to do it over, would you have chosen a different positioned pickup to install?

lordhelmet

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2020
Germany
I know you put a Lollar 50s in yours. Was it the middle p-90 pickup they offer, or neck or bridge? If you had to do it over, would you have chosen a different positioned pickup to install?

This is the "tall bridge dogear".
I was a little bit nervous when I had this mod done because there wasn't any reference to this setup (maybe it would be owerpowered by the Filtertrons or sound bad or weak somehow...).
But it turned out really great, no regrets or second thoughts. I could live with a single P90 in the middle and be happy!
Like this one: IMG_20220120_201402.jpg

lordhelmet

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2020
Germany
Ausgezeichnet! That's a pretty guitar.

Modding a (semi) hollow is a real pain. Having someone else do the work saves a lot of stress - but you deprive your family and neighbors the opportunity to learn new curse words. :)

Dankeschön!:)
Whenever I have work like this done by a professional, I think that I should have tried it myself. I can solder and install new pickups, but I lack the tools (and confidence) for more difficult stuff, especially on a big hollow guitar with tiny f-holes.

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Now I'm very convinced of my plan to put a Supertron in the neck and Setzer in the bridge of my 2420. I watched a bunch of demos, I liked how each of those specific pickups sounded in those specific positions, and wondered if they wouldn't work well with the switch in the middle. Still waiting on a bonus at work or tax refund, but now I'm definitely more motivated. Just have to decide if I'll make the guitarist in my band do it, as he's an electrical engineer, pretend at it myself, or just pay the popular shop in town...