NPGD! (New Parlour Guitar Day!)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by section2, Aug 13, 2021.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    It's New Parlour Guitar Day!

We're heading off to a little cottage on the St. Lawrence River in Eastern Ontario next week, and as the plans took shape, I began to daydream about having a little guitar to bring along. So I started looking into parlour guitars. This quickly became a rabbit hole and I gleefully fell down it.

I went to three different shops and tried out at least half a dozen guitars—a Jim Dandy, an all-solid Yamaha, a Little Martin, a Taylor GS Mini, a couple of Breedloves—and then I stumbled upon the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse. It blew them all out of the water.

PXL_20210813_231831611.PORTRAIT.jpg

This little gem was by far the best player of the bunch, with a comfortable neck and an absolutely gorgeous tone: rich, resonant, and well balanced, with sparkling highs and sonorous bass tones that I really didn't think you could get out of a guitar this size. As my wife put it: "That's a little guitar with a big voice!"

It was made in Canada from 95% Canadian woods, with a solid spruce top, 3-ply wild cherry back & sides, a silver-leaf maple neck, and a rosewood bridge & fingerboard. The nut and saddle are Tusq. (Oddly, the saddle was installed backwards. I'm guessing the former owner was a little absent-minded during the last string change.) There's a passive under-saddle piezo and, in a quirky touch that's growing on me, there are volume and tone knobs on the front of the guitar. The scale length is 24.83", which is very comfortable and familiar to my Gretsch-loving hands.

Most importantly: it's blue! (Paging @drmilktruck.) The finish is a high-gloss "Indigo Burst," though I don't think indigo is the right word for it. It looks almost black in the shade, but in direct light it takes on a deep blue-green hue, with peacock accents on the shoulders. The top looks like my favourite pair of jeans and the cherry back is nicely figured. It's really quite lovely.

PXL_20210813_231914830.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

For those who don't know the brand, Art & Lutherie is an offshoot of Quebec's Godin Guitars. Godin has a number of other brands under its umbrella, including Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and Norman. I don't know how well-known they are outside of Canada, but they're quite well-established here.

I think this little player and I are going to spend a lot of quality time together.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This is the model of dumpster find I got and let go for free. I think someone threw it out because of the bowed neck which a bit of humidification fixed right up. Had a very nice sound but also had that old time tone that didn’t project like crazy. I wish I still had it. I liked it a bit better weight wise than the Penguin which is a heavy acoustic. Now you got me thinking about small acoustics again! Darn gas can hit at any time! Yours looks great like I said elsewhere I think you will love it! Congratulations on the new guitar!
    D3201ED5-BFE8-442D-8F0A-58AA4851297C.png

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, very nice!

section2 likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations on the winning guitar . Enjoy the vacation at the cottage too :)

section2 likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This model has a pickup? How does it sound?

section2 likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s a gorgeous guitar. Congrats.

section2 likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the guitar and enjoy your vacation. HNGD.

section2 likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Beautiful wood grain. I had a Arts and Lutherie Ami, a small parlor, years ago. ((Of course it was blue.)

Bertotti, section2 and GlenP like this.
  9. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Those things are great! Good score!

section2 likes this.
  10. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Gretschie

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    Nice… A&L has been on my radar for quite some time, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in a store. I remember the Ami was well loved back in the day but I don’t think they make it anymore. There seems to have been a fair amount of changes to the line-up, model names, etc. When you add in all the sister brands it gets a little hard to track.

I like the knobs— reminds me of John Lennon’s guitar.

I already have a parlor guitar, so I should probably just install a pickup rather than buy another one!

section2 likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love that…but I just looked up prices over here. €650 for this particular model… yikes.:oops:

12. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Congrats on a great sounding guitar. Your new model and their acoustic model without the preamp is incredibly expressive and certainly on the GAS list. I have my eye out for their cutaway dreadnought.

A real quality music maker.....Have fun!!

section2 likes this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very cool, congrats!

section2 likes this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That is really sweet.

When an acoustic speaks, buy it! :)

Congrats and enjoy

RRGuitarCo and section2 like this.
  15. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Had a Seagull 12. Nice chunky neck and the tones were so sweet. A little bit on the soft side but adequate to play well with others. Enjoy your new Parlor!

section2 likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That thing looks great. I'm a bit of a parlor guitar nut myself and just got this sweet '73 Takamine F312, its a excellent copy of a Martin 0-16 New Yorker. 20210812_151922.jpg
    I have a bunch of real old ones too, prewar Stellas and Regals, '50s and '60s Harmony's and Silvertones.

section2 and new6659 like this.
  17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yep, they made some tweaks to the Ami a few years ago and renamed it the Roadhouse. They did away with the cedar-topped and laminate cherry-topped models and added a pearloid pickguard, and I believe the electronics are new. There are three Roadhouse models now: one with no electronics, one with a Fishman soundhole pickup + preamp, and this Q-Discrete model with a passive under-saddle piezo.

Good call. If you're looking for a pickup, check out the JJB Prestige 330. It's essentially the K&K Pure Mini at 1/3 of the price. I installed one in my dreadnought and I'm very happy with it. It sounds great, and the company's owner is friendly and helpful. (I have no affiliation—just a happy customer.)

18. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yikes indeed! I bought mine second-hand, but a new Roadhouse sells for 679 Canadian dollars here. That's about 460 Euros (though we add 13% sales tax on top of that price). I'd imagine that import duties, shipping costs, and VAT make up most of the difference.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    That's a pretty amazing dumpster find! Good for you for letting it go, though. You won some real karma points by offering it to someone who needed it more than you (even if the store did end up choosing an unworthy recipient). You did a good deed!

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Gretschie

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    Thank you for the tip.

section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.