NPD

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Well after yearning for an Echoplex flavor to add...

A02A4D63-253B-435B-AE16-E4D11E9DF52F.jpeg

I wanted to pick up a Bell Epoch Deluxe last year. It has the Echoplex Pre to include orange drop capacitors, but I honestly didn’t need a second delay then or even today. They’ve offered the pre separately but reviews read that something is mixed up or mislabeled on the controls. I know it wasn’t finished when Catalinbread had its fallout so I’m not surprised. I’ve debated about the Dunlop Echoplex Pre but hadn’t jumped on it yet. Then I noticed their recent Echo Boost. It’s supposed to be the same pre with orange drops with an added boost.

First impressions, sounds great and thickens the tone nicely where I think it should. I can’t compare to an original Echoplex because I don’t have one. It should do nicely to add to my tonal palette. I favor vintage tones like my Nocturne Atomic Brain for my RE pre-amp and El Pescadoro. I will add that after dealing mainly with Nocturne pedals for a while.... the finish on this Epoch Boost feels like junk. It’s a silver paint that feels plastic like and has a few dust particles in it. It just doesn’t have the same hardy feeling as a quality Nocturne pedal. So with that, I’ve got to thank Tavo for his attention to detail with Nocturne and the beautiful and durable powder coating finishes.

So for anyone still actually reading this... first impressions as far as sound is good. With the added boost it adds a little more versatility and it’s likely to stay.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  3. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have one sitting in a box waiting to go home tonight. I have a Howard era BED and was excited for the pre prior to all of the issues. Hoping this one is as advertised.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Love to hear more about it as you get more time with it. I've got 2 of their pedals now and really dig them both.

Merc likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s awesome you’ve got a Howard BED. Hold onto that one.

With less knobs this one should be fine. You’ll have to add your thoughts once you plug it in. Right now I’m running mine after my echo so it can flavor it as well. I still need to try it in front of for comparison.

Srellim1 likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Will do. The only other Catalinbread I’ve played was the Adineko. It’s tops for an oil can delay. I liked the raw finish on it as well. Which two do you have?

7. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I’m going to play with it tonight.
    Have you tried the buffer yet?

Merc likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Not yet. I only had about 45 minutes of play time earlier before family life took over. So I slapped on some Velcro and threw it on the board to get right to it. I was mainly getting a taste of the pre and playing with the boost during the time. But it felt like my play time was over right after it started.

Srellim1 likes this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I picked up the Belle Epoch (non-deluxe) a couple of months back and just took delivery of the Formula 55. The F55 is just massive sounding. I play in a duo so I'm never competing with a bass or drums and having the glorious low end come through is just heaven to me -- especially on my baritone. I'm pretty much in love with it. The Adineko definitely caught my ear. I've got an old cheapo oil can delay from Gargaetone that I've hung on to even as I upgraded everything else. It's tucked away for now but the CB Adineko and OBNE Black Fountain would be the likely replacements if I ever decide to do so.

Srellim1 and Merc like this.
  10. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I got about 45 minutes with it. The buffer was of interest to me because I am putting it on a board that just sounds a bit dull.
    It sounds fantastic. I haven't A/B'd it with the BelleEpoch Deluxe but it really did the trick with the buffer turned on. I disagree with you about the finish seeming cheap (though not as hearty as the Nocturne stuff). I do thing that the knobs feel a little bit questionable. They don't have the weight of the Deluxe. Hopefully the components are solid and it lasts. I would like to compare it to a Chase Tone Secret if I can get ahold of one. Being a different circuit, it sounds very different from an Atomic Brain, of course... it fattens up a Jaguar nicely!

Merc likes this.
  11. Gancho

Gancho Newbie

Mar 16, 2020
    Oklahoma
    That Andy demo of it sounds great. Regarding the finish, is it powder coat or just regular paint? I’m a powder coater so I’m curious about these things. :)

Merc likes this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Cool!
    I had a Xotic EP Booster preamp pedal for a while which is another Echoplex preamp. I liked it a lot!
    It was replaced by a Brain, but I kinda still wish I had it. Sounded great with single coils.
    I sold it to a buddy who keeps it on at all times with his Jazzmaster.

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the post. I am a bit curious if you do get time to A/B them. I’d assume they’re very similar in the recipe on the Pre side. But who knows with Howard gone. I played it again low volume with the little one in bed. It does sound really great. I’ll try out the buffer this weekend.

I agree on the knobs.

With the finish, the top graphics feel good. I just find the silver has a softer feel to me then the normal powder coat I’ve handled. Maybe it’s simply a different formula and not paint at all. I noticed mine has some dust particles in it. It doesn’t come through in photos but in person, I swear I can see some buff marks. I wouldn’t imagine that buffing being needed with melting powder. Perhaps @Gancho can school me on powder coating? Maybe I’m just crazy and it’s the weight of the pedal throwing me off to.

D49CFE0B-A5EC-44BF-BD8C-F507595D3601.jpeg

14. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. Mine doesn't have the finish flaws that can be seen in yours. I hope that isn't an indication of spotty quality control. It does sound good, but I do have concerns as to whether or not it is build to last. Not to damn then out of the gate. Perhaps I have guilt about this post- Howard purchase?

15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I know exactly what you mean with the Howard thing. I actually wonder what he’s got planned for the future. During the lawsuit he posted somewhere that he was working on amps or something. I would love to see him return to the pedal world. At the same time I’d like to see Catalinbread get back to where it was in memory of the founder.

If it’s simply the pedal finish, I can handle that. The boards likely fine. I do wonder about the quality of the pots. The knobs turn super easy on mine. My preference is to feel a little more resistance when turning.

Srellim1 likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Enjoy the pedal Merc and congrats

Merc likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Glad to hear it sounds good. A better paint job wouldn't make it sound any different. In fact it would sound the same if it didn't have any paint at all...:D.

Merc likes this.
  18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It actually sounds pretty great!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know. There was that thing a few years ago stating guitars sound better with certain colors. :D:)

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I have an Echoplex and after listening to the demos of the Epoch Boost it seems like they've nailed the sound. Nice to know since I don't like to take that big box out live anymore...:)

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.