NPD: Strymon Iridium

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by audept, May 10, 2020.

1. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    What headphones are you waiting on? And do they handle big/ loud well?

Hammerhands likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a pair of Sony 7506 in a storage locker. They are old and well-used, but I'm very comfortable with the sound. I have used them in the past for mixing live concerts, so I have a good reference.

michelb and blueruins like this.
  3. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I am using a pair of 7506s as well. I think the initial trouble was user error and adjusting to feel. I subbed a cheap pair of earbuds and got it sounding good then went back and spent 3 hours. It really is a super solid practice amp with pedals. Loves my falcon. I can’t wait to record with it. It doesn’t quite make up for an actual live amplifier pushing air in a room but it is very close and the feature set makes up for this. I’m so disappointed in myself for going for an amp sim. That said it will come in very handy for those 11-4am hours.

audept likes this.
  4. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Good headphones make all the difference, and I find that open back ones really help with ear fatigue and feel more like you’re hearing the sound ina room instead of it being beamed into your ears.. I’m using Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pros, 250 ohm. Strymon recommends higher impedance headphones, around 75 ohm and up, and the 250 ohm ones work great for me.

Bertotti, audept and Srellim1 like this.
  5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hey,
    Thank you so much for the input. I have been able to get it to sound great, and it is great. I do agree that a great pair of open back headphones is in order.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’m partial to my semi open store 880 at 250ohms but I don’t have this pedal. Someone posted there is a headphone jack on it but I didn’t see it.

7. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    It's on the front face of the pedal (directly downward from the "ON" switch).

I'm not a huge fan of the headphone sound. I typically play mine into my monitors or keyboard/PA.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Does this function as a digital interface too?

9. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    No. It just has stereo unbalanced 1/4” outs. The usb port is just so you can load your own impulse responses and update firmware.

mbkri likes this.
  10. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    how are you liking it @audept ?? Im kind of tempted to get one as well!

11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Being patient is far better than being A patient.
    I'm not much of a pedal guy, but that is interesting.

audept likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm actually at home doing online training via video link from Singapore for the next few days. I still haven't got my headphones from the storage facility yet, but at least I still have some work for a while.

13. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Curious if you had gotten your headphones and how it is working out for you?

The Iridium itself seems great!... but I'm getting a lot of distortion through my Sonys in the 'Round setting at louder volumes. I've switched to open back AKGs. Which is a bit of a trade off.

14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The level introduces breakup? I would expect it to work like a master volume.

15. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I think it's just that anything dirty/loud is causing the headphone speakers to distort. I don't believe it is the Iridium. It is the headphones. This is not the case with open backs. The overall volume is reasonably low with both though. No impedance issues. Both pair are about 62ohms, so right in Iridiums wheelhouse.
    The drag moving to open backs is the slight bass and volume loss.

16. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax
    The key to getting good sound out of the headphones is to use the level cut live edit feature to set the output volume level. A ton of that unwanted compression/distortion goes away quickly. It sounds great through my pair of Beats Studio Pros.

Srellim1 and audept like this.
  17. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Curious as I won’t be able to test until tonight- do you mean that cutting the level in the secondary (love edit) function and raising the output volume will help with this? That would be fantastic.

18. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax

Changing the output level with the secondary function of the level knob really changes the sound quality I find. You have to adjust it every time you turn the pedal on though.

Srellim1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.