NPD: Strymon Iridium

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by audept, May 10, 2020.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    New Pedal Day: Strymon Iridium amp and IR speaker cab modeler. I have been selling off some extra pedals recently to build up a little extra cash to get me through the pandemic crisis. I recently sold an Atomic Ampli-Firebox amp modeler and a Keeley DDR but this time I used the $$ to replace them both with a Strymon Iridium. This will also double as my headphone amp so I can play at home without the neighbors complaining. I am very happy with my other Strymon pedals and I have only heard good reports about the Iridium so far.

IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1089.JPG

Stonepicking, Outlaw, Stefan and 12 others like this.
  2. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Nice! I've had mine since it first came out. Definitely recommend checking out the Strymon Impulse Manager software / library as I think the impulses you can download there are better than what comes stock. Great pedal for just a regular evening jam.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great pedals always from Strymon . Congrats and don't worry about the neighbors :D

audept likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’d love to hear your thoughts about it. I’ve always been curious.

audept likes this.
  5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Would love to hear feedback on this.
    I’ve been seriously considering purchasing one to help restore harmony in the household. I just sold something and am debating whether that money goes in my savings or into an Iridium.

mrfixitmi and audept like this.
  6. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Nice!
    I’m looking at possibly getting one.

Have you tried running time based effects post Iridium vs pre? And do you need a direct box to record or to a mixing board/PA?

If I get one I’m thinking of running two H9’s post Iridium, stereo, into an interface...I’m now wondering if I’d still need a direct box coming out of the H9s ?

Anyway congratulations on the pedal!

7. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Signal Chain: Guitar - TU-3 - Echoplex Pre-Amp - El Capistan - Iridium

20200510_163732.jpg

I don't want to steal the OPs thunder but just throwin' in my two cents. I really like the Deluxe Reverb 1x12 setting. I get enough dirt with a clear, bold and punchy sound from my Mk-3 Hot Rods. Just like an amp without an effects loop, if you crank up the gain too much, the delay gets all washed out and weird. I had a Mesa Fillmore 25 that I sold to get this pedal because IMO this amp was more practical for jammin at home, taking to practices and doing quick recordings. I still have my Mesa Lone Star Special which isn't going anywhere but this really sounds great and is perfect for quick jams as well. The other Marshall and Vox settings are good in their own right but just not my style. Touch response is very realistic and the room setting is really nice for getting the right amount openness with a side effect of light reverb. I've done a couple of quick recordings that were pretty straight forward and simple into a basic audio interface. Not sure what else I can say at this point other than this is an extremely practical tool for most guitarists that does its job really well.

montereyjack66 and audept like this.
  8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Very informative, thanks for posting!

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Wyn, interesting pedal.
    You’re holding a piece of every guitarplayers future(an IR box). I see lots of developments in that area and I think it’s very exciting.

audept likes this.
  10. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I won't get a chance to try it out for a few days so I have to be patient.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Congrats audept! woohooo! excited to hear your thoughts about it!

audept likes this.
  12. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I've had a used one for a couple of weeks. Played it maybe four hours. I made the jump because Strymon generally delivers to the market it serves. Even then I was a tad skeptical and hence more than pleasantly surprised. It is not all things to all people, and I've done enough live amp playing and recording to know that it is possible achieve better with the right amp, and the right recording conditions, but is still a very nice option for some, and a godsend to others. I have an SS22 which is like a Reverb Deluxe with an option to go SRV, and the Deluxe option on the irridium does not sound exactly as mine but but (1) it comes close enough I had to pause a bit (2) it behaves very much like my tube amp with pumping and breathing. I can almost feel the heat coming off the tubes that aren't there. I've had only mild experience with Vox and Marshall and but if memory serves, it seems to due an equal job with those two also. I've never played a Blues Jr or a Vibrolux so I can't speak to the accuracy of those but I can say what is there is very cool. Recording was never a big issue in my neighborhood until recently. It has gotten a bit noisier which can interfere with a good recording take, as well as potentially annoy my so far patient or deaf neighbors. There's also a lot more people home during the day now with Corona etc. What I am saying is that this is a very good response to my problem. I wish they had an option for my Gibson Skylark or my Ampeg Reverb Rocket, but this is a very reasonable start. It seems to mate well with pedals. It sounds great through the SS22 although I've not had occasion to use it in a live band situation yet. You can carry the "amp" in your guitar case. My back seems to be OK with that part. We've come a long way from Pong. That's for sure. Stay tuned.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  13. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great post, thanks MJ !

14. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats Audept! Curious to hear more!

audept likes this.
  16. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    :eek: Was looking into these as well the other day, so I can take it with my pedalboard and play it outside with headphones.

Really curious to your opinion on how it sounds :)

audept likes this.
  17. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Very happy with mine. I use it pretty exclusively on the Vox chime model. I set the gain at 2 o’clock and use my guitar volume to go from clean to hairy. It loves being hit with my Red Ranger clone boost. It also loves the Detroit Casket. If it had an effects loop, it would be better for headphone practice since I prefer to run tremolo and reverb post-Iridium. That’s my only complaint.

Henry and Srellim1 like this.
  18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Just got mine. Having some issues getting into it with my so so headphones. To much blah and compression. Curious what headphones folks are using with this that they love?

19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. I am curious about these for actual quiet playing.

Nevermore, I see that there is a separate headphone output.

20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Waiting for my headphones to get here so I can try this out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.