NPD- Reverb(almost) & these are in the hunt.....

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by NJDevil, Aug 1, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If/when I have to replace my Hardwire, I'm coming back to this thread! There are soooo many good ones out there. I'm inclined to head in the direction of TC Electronic HOF variants, but my current curiosity also leads me to:

https://neunaber.net/collections/pedals/products/immerse-mk-ii

https://robertkeeley.com/products/realizer-pedal-partners-artist-series

And super simple always gets my attention:

https://www.one-control.com/pedal/bjf/prussian-blue-reverb

https://robertkeeley.com/Omni-Reverb

NJDevil likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Keeley - that one looks really good and not too expensive for a two in one.

3. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    If given a shot :) couldn't have said it better.

That they do, used by countless numbers of professional musicians, and me :)

Boss is dismissed by many who have no idea how the Boss pedal really sounds and won't consider Boss because? We all want to have something we think is really really special and unique to ourselves and it must be great if it cost three times the price, that validates the specialness. I have been guilty of this line of thinking up until about five years ago. I now use my ears not my wallet and do not rely on professional studio quality demo's. Most are done by people who do and can make the cheapest $20 to $39 pedals sound as good or even better than the most expensive boutique pedal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Merc and NJDevil like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s one reason I’ve found myself gravitating to single function pedals. I’ve got three pedalboards, one of which is centered on a Stanley Blue Nebula which basically works with preset patches that are programmed in. It’s a great pedal, but the problem is that it doesn’t lend itself well to ad hoc changes, so even on that board I have a reverb/delay pedal and a Topanga for Surf. These allow me access to two sounds without locating the proper patch on the Blue Nebula.

Since that board, I’ve built two other pedalboards and both have only single function pedals, which I can select at random. I find that this works pretty well, and it’s simple. My general purpose board has an overdrive (Boss OS-2), an analog delay (Boss DM-2w), a Hall of Fame Mini with the OEM Plate TonePrint and a Catalinbread Topanga for Surf reverb. If I need more than these options, I have my Swiss Army Board, which adds a Chorus (Boss CE-2w), Tremolo (Boss TR-2) Phase Shifter (MXR Phase 95) to the Overdrive, Delays and Reverb. The idea here is keep everything independent and selectable.

NJDevil likes this.
  5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Let’s keep it friendly.

NJDevil and thunder58 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Agreed

NJDevil likes this.
  7. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I just listened to both Boss options again but expected they would fall short of my perceptions from yesterday......Trying to align yesterday's subjective quality with today's!!! They actually went slightly the other way and now like both even more!

I'm bummed that the Cusack is not available as I really like it.....equal to that of the HOF 2. The Seymour Duncan Silver Sky continues to impress even if I do not exactly know what all is going on with the very thorough Mike Herman 16 min. demo on you tube.

The tones will change depending on the guitar and the amp of course but know my core 4 or 5 I really want......I like others too but the naming convention for it(then) can change depending on the brand.

I can listen to all the samples till the end of time but I know what I want the reverb for. Now I have to go to the company sites and really read up on EXACTLY what hey can do.....can 2 reverbs be blended for example? Easy to see for the RV-500 but not sure of the others. I know the visual screens are a big "easy -to-use" plus for me but not needed unless I really align what they show paired with all the options the pedal provides. But SA's Ventris has grown on me more also.

The price point(paired with the quality) of the HOF 2 though really is tough to beat and will give me "cap space" for the budget on a another pedal.... of course there's always more and a Dumble emulation is next!!

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ok gang ....... you earned it ... 2 time a post has been reported .... thread locked
    It's been some week for @Synchro and I and in all honesty , it's just not right

9. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    This is great input Synchro...thanks!

I've been mostly a guitar-to-amp player with only 3 tone changing pedals......a wah, and 2 Catalinbreads so I feel I'm in new territory with a lot to learn.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My experience with complex pedals, such as the RV-500, is that I ended up using one or two of the effects and I came to the conclusion that I would have been better off with a simpler pedal. The HOF II strikes me as an excellent compromise with versatility but relatively simple controls. It’s like those boxes with 64 Crayons in them; it’s an amazing thing to behold, but you will probably not get much use out of all 64.

NJDevil and thunder58 like this.
  11. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    And this comment reminds me when I first took note of the Big Sky as I asked "What could do with all of these reverb settings?" I had a great spring on the Tech 21 and it was all the reverb I needed..... it dialed in some Chris Isaak tunes when needed but really was great for the surf material.

I will also admit that there were a few times in the last 2 days where there did not seem to be all that much difference(that I could hear) with the 12 algorithm tanks. This is where I should really be considering the RV-6 or HOF2.

This is where I can get my quality 6-8 choices for around $150 and then keep room in the "salary cap". I really hear the difference in all tones supplied by the Seymour Duncan Silver Lake....8 choices and variety in texturing the tones......really different than all of the others I looked at. I just wish the price was south of the hefty $350.00.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s the heck of it; these pedals have a million permutations, but most people settle on just a handful, or even just one. I have at 10 reverb devices, 9 pedals and a Fender Tube Reverb. Seven of the pedals are spread across three boards, while two are on the bench. Basically, that breaks down to a Surf pedal and a Plate pedal on each board, plus the Blue Nebula, which doses Plate reverb and any number of drum and tape echoes. I don’t need all of these, by any stretch of the imagination, but the idea of one spring reverb and one plate reverb on a pedalboard makes a lot of sense to me.

When I gig, I like to keep the music going, so I don’t like to make adjustments to pedals between songs. The board I intend to use on my next gig has delay, two reverbs and an overdrive. I can go from Surf, to mellow Plate to just a bit of echo without even leaning over. That’s probably all I’ll ever need on a gig.

In your situation, I would lean towards the HOF II. You have tweakability, three open slots for TonePrints and the presets are pretty decent. While you can tweak it, you can also just set it and forget it. The only reason I would take it over the Boss would be the ability to load TonePrints. If that’s not important to you, I’d suggest the RV-6. Boss pedals are as tough as nails. If you want to keep the budget tight, an HOF Mini will do a lot, given all the TonePrints available, but you only have one sound at a time.

The Dumble emulator sounds like an interesting project. The Klon Centuar is the gold standard, but they are about $5,000 each. EHX makes the Soul Food, which is pretty good, and the MXR Sugar Drive is as sweet as its name. A fellow can spend a lifetime trying to get a Dumble sound.

gtttrrr and NJDevil like this.
  13. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    As odd as it may sound, I am not going to gig with any reverb pedal I'm looking to buy(in the immediate future) and what I will be doing is just for experimenting only. The thing is, I'm "a mad scientist" and will run the gamut with all tones at my disposal. That said, the HOF paired with my Echorec is more than enough to keep all experimenting active for quite sometime.....Hey, I still have to partition time to practice what I gig and then do the other half of me which is acoustic folk/roots music.

So for me, something like the Empress or Eventide Space is wasted money.....as is the Big Sky, and even though I do love it, the Source Audio Ventris. The Cusack is is not in stock anywhere, the Seymour Silver Lake (my favorite in tone) is more than I would like to spend and the RV-500 probably would hit 75% of use at most. I have a plan for what I want to do and fact is the options and quality of the HOF may even prove more than what I need. Great price point......a gift to stretch it out at not much more would be the Oceans 12....although the Oceans 11 would be wiser still. Pair anything with my Echorec alone and one need to be a master at calculus to compute the possibilities.

It would actually be far more practical for me to concentrate on the Dumble. Gigging the Texas Blues material pretty hard, I actually have the Vertex Steel String Supreme in my sights and probably should just grab it now. I play a great deal of SRV, Johnny Winter, Copeland and Collins and other similar material. Throw in some Skynyrd, Allman Bros., and a few '60s thru early '80s and that's 99% of the show. The next move for my swing playing would then be Tavo's Jr. Barnyard.

There's little doubt though that I'm going to stray from what I want to "mess around with" and that's a reverb. I like David Gilmour's solo work and play it (minus the compression of a Blues Driver or something similar) but I want to spring further into the atmospheric realm.....many galaxies far! f I had to slap a label on what I'm looking to do? I'd say it is 90% Devin Townsend minus the metal.

One has to laugh that I also have major GAS for a PRS Fiore AND and cutaway dreadnought.....Martin D-28 or the Takamine equivalent. This is all so maddening and fun!!!!

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m an experimenter myself. I guess that’s why I have 10 reverb devices, plus the sweetest built-in reverb on earth in my Elizabeth amp. I have 5 different boost/overdrive pedals and I’ve been through a number of delays, although I’m pretty much settled on the DM-2w, at this point.

The amazing thing about all of this is that I’m not really a tone chaser. On a gig, I plug in, set the reverb and for 95% of the songs, the only variation is the reverb or delays. For maybe 5% of the songs, I’ll use some overdrive. I’ve played many a gig just plugged straight into a Deluxe Reverb.

I’ll be interested to hear how this all turns out.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Not to derail, but someday you should definitely check out the Source Audio stuff. When the Nemesis came out, it was too expensive, and had so many options I figured it was a "jack of all trades, master of none". But when my TC delay died on me (the 3rd TC product to do so), I watched some videos of Strymon vs Nemesis, and the Nemesis sounded better in every one. So I bit the bullet- even bought a NEW one (full price), and it's money VERY well spent.

I'm not a complicated reverb guy- if I just wanted a nice amp reverb, I'd get the SA True Spring. But I do like messing around with soundscapes, and something like the Ventris is perfect for that.

Bertotti and NJDevil like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Speaking of budget, if you go to Aion pedals, they have a full kit for a Dumble / Zen pedal that is really good. I built their Nobles pedal and couldn't be happier. It only took me an hour to build it. But then again, if you're not into building...

I'm kind of like you in that I like the pedals that have the standard plate / spring/ hall but also include one or two dreamy settings. But I'm a big fan of at least one dead simple pedal. All of these pedals are fairly reliable, but my Hardwire delay just recently funked out without warning. If that had happened in a gig, I could have been in trouble. It didn't just quit, it started acting completely wacky. I also have a TC Electronic Flashback that I like, but this made me go out and buy a Waza DM3 and while I like my TC, I hardly use it now. So I'm thinking if I ended up buying a very simple spring reverb pedal, it would get the most use.

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Speaking of budget, if you go to Aion pedals, they have a full kit for a Dumble / Zen pedal that is really good. I built their Nobles pedal and couldn't be happier. It only took me an hour to build it. But then again, if you're not into building...

I'm kind of like you in that I like the pedals that have the standard plate / spring/ hall but also include one or two dreamy settings. But I'm a big fan of at least one dead simple pedal. All of these pedals are fairly reliable, but Hardwire delay just recently funked out for no reason. If that had happened in a gig, I could have been in trouble. It made me go out and buy a Waza DM3 and while I like my TC Electronic, I hardly use it now. So I'm thinking if I ended up buying a very simple spring reverb pedal, it would get the most use.

NJDevil likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I immediately got interested in those until I saw the price! Hard to know what justifies that price. Did you get one?

19. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    These blew me away and was immersed in much reverb goodness from surf to James Wilsey and then...... I saw the price also!!!!! Darn!!! I have to admit that the tonal quality hit me in the best way though thought "Strymon who...?" Boutique, yes but wow it really brings the tone!

20. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Synchro is very on point regarding both the Topanga(s) and the HOF2. The thing with the HOF2 is there is a quaking in the tails of all the stock reverb choices. IMO, it's a bit too pronounced. Thankfully, many Toneprint choices abound that check the quaking.

As far as Dumble type pedals go, I believe that Lovepedal's Zen drive is considered top notch. I have the Joyo knock-off, the Tai Chi. I like it, a lot.

NJDevil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.