NPD! Plethora

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TSims1, Aug 11, 2020.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Technically, last night. ;)
    I was curious about this so I ordered one up(these have been on backorder for a minute)and was pleased to have it land on my doorstep last night.

TC Electronic Plethora x5.
    Basically, you get the whole TC Electronic toneprint library. That is to say this one unit will give you 5 assignable switches that can become the bulk of your pedalboard. It does NOT have any overdrives, and that’s by design apparently. Their thing is you take whatever your favorite drives are, set it/them before this, and you are essentially done. And for me, that fits the bill. For this nanoboard I’m putting together, it’ll be a Dunlop mini volume, Visual Sound Double Trouble(two tube screamers side by side)and the Plethora. Boom.

Nice small size, rugged and solid feeling build quality with silent switches, and not a bad sounding effect in the bunch. I think for $500, it’s a fantastic deal. I’m quite pleased with this unit.

C0C92AEF-AB61-495C-AF8D-2DE18733B72D.jpeg

902CDD00-741C-4AEF-A158-24DC70D683C0.jpeg

2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Tony, give us a sound sample when you get a chance.

Hammerhands and TSims1 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats T!

TSims1 likes this.
  4. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I've been looking at these, so it's nice to know that Tony approves! I've used a Line 6 M9 for years for things like chorus, flange and until recently echo, but now that I have a Mystery Brain, most of my echo needs have been satisfied. The price seems nice for what you get, so I may have to check one of these out....

TSims1 likes this.
  5. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That looks really cool!

TSims1 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So out of my league :confused: ... but you have fun Tony . Congrats and enjoy

TSims1 likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ah - smart idea on their part. I'm trying to visualize how you would edit a tone print from that board - maybe not worth it.

8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The tone print library is really great (and yup, I‘m an analog nerd):cool:
    Congrats, Tony!

TSims1 likes this.
  9. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Are you gonna use this for your P&W gig?

TSims1 likes this.
  10. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nice. I thought that unit was intriguing when I saw it. Looking forward to hearing a demo, especially one by you.

TSims1 likes this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It's an intriguing concept. I use a Hall of Fame Mini with the Plate Reverb TonePrint as a go to reverb and it's excellent. From what I can tell, their TonePrints are first class. It is possible to edit your own, but I would imagine that in the real world, you'd never need to, given the sheer volume of TonePrints available for download.

Being a bit of a reverb fan, I'm quite impressed by their selection in this area. There's a TonePrint by Robben Ford using Plate Reverb for Surf. It's an excellent sound and once you own the pedal, the downloads are there for the taking, so it costs nothing to at least try it. Their Spring Reverb is likewise excellent and is one of the better emulations, with regard to approaching the sound of the vaunted 6G15.

This is the world of the DSP. Inexpensive, and good sounding DSPs are making it possible to have a basic hardware platform that can do pretty much any effect, depending upon what it programmed into it. TC Electronic has leveraged that capability into an excellent platform, and assuming that the hardware is reliable and durable, they have made a move that changes the playing field.

None of this is to say that the idea will take hold. It's too soon to tell whether or not it prove popular in the market. There are effects I rarely use which would be nice to have at hand, such as Chorus, Phase Shifter or Flanger. Sandwiched between a Soul Food overdrive and an RC-3 looper, there's little else I would ever need. I could see this is as very good solution for that sort of situation.

TSims1 likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You cannot go all-too wrong with everything TC Electronic. They know their business. Even the very old pedals from them (like the TC chorus) were so well thought out that they are still on many modern boards.

TSims1 likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yes sir! That’s really all I do anymore, and it struck me how lucky I am the other day. So many of my entertainment friends have been just shutdown with no gigs/income/musical outlet. Yet my life has remained exactly the same, and I have worked through the entire shutdown(except for when I had the virus and stayed away for several weeks). But yes, I will use it in that context.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Actually, they’ve made it quite easy once you get the hang of it.

See that little switch on the left that says “Play/Edit”? You flip down into edit mode, and then touch the button(1-5)of the effect you want to edit. The parameters come up, and you adjust. When you are done fiddling n ready to rock, just flip the little switch back to “play” mode. Easy easy.

SAguitar and stevo like this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Will you go direct without an amp? Traveling light is so nice and glad you have been able to work

TSims1 likes this.
  16. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I most definitely do not need one of those....

I most definitely do want one of those.....

Congrats Tony....I've been waiting for someone to get one and make some comments about it.

:)

TSims1 likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Ive been running into the front end of a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, and using its XLR out with simulated cab out the back to the FOH. It works fantastically.

nickurso likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yeah, it really is fantastic. If you dig the TC Electronic sounds.......then they are all here in one easy to use unit. Simple as that!

19. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Do the effects have to run left —> right or can you reverse the order so Neanderthals like me can cope?

20. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Lol. Not sure!

lathoto likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.