NPD: More cowbell...er, reverb

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by dougmon, Jul 2, 2020.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I want that .......

2. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    It’s always fun to get those pedals dialed in just right, that why I recently got a DITTO looper, so I can put that at the front, play a few things and let the loop play while I experiment with the pedals, dials, and order, and the amp.

audept, Waxhead and dougmon like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Now you e opened a can of worms. :)
    Did all that thinking give you a headache? :)

Sounds like me with reverb pedals. I try to count them, but it’s hard to concentrate with the echo in the room, and all. :)

Waxhead, thunder58 and Sabato like this.
  4. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    When I was looking for a reverb pedal, I must have considered about thirty of them. There's so many and so many of those do certain things incredibly well. Keeley alone has ten reverb pedals, though some of are combo pedals. I'm still tempted by the Keeley Memphis Sun -- specialized, but pretty cool. Sadly, my wife has requested that I don't buy too many more pedals.

Today I moved the Oceans 11 and the Aurora to the effects loop of my amp (which I wasn't using at all before), and it may be a placebo effect, but I would swear they sound better.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There are a lot of them out there, these days. It's quite possible to get somewhat caught up in it all.

If you really want a Swiss Army Knife to play with, look no further than the Stanley Blue Nebula. It has a great plate reverb emulation, all sorts of delays, including accurate models of the delays used by The Shadows and there are other effects which can be programmed into it. If you have even the most basic skills with configuring computers, this pedal will do amazing things. Without the programming skills, it's still excellent, but you just have to twist knobs and save your work directly into the pedal. You can even setup Set Lists in it and it displays the songs on a screen, so you can go through them at a gig.

gtttrrr likes this.
  6. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    It does look pretty cool. I heard the "Wonderful World" demo at the Stanley site.

Where did you find one in the US?

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You have to order directly from them.

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, that a good one!

dougmon likes this.
  9. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Does that need a dedicated power source or will it work in the chain with my OneSpot?

Henry and Sabato like this.
  10. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I got a Nux Atlantic a few months ago and also has spring, plate and hall. It also has a separate delay effect, and with a press of afoot switch when you power it on you can change the order of which comes first, which is very handy.
    For the past 30 years reverb to me was from a spring tank in the amp. Reading on this forum about reverb pedals led me to look around and investigate. I really had no idea about the differences! It’s great to cover all the bases, isn’t it?

dougmon likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    One Spot has a model that comes with a trained gorilla, as an optional extra. It works well, and the gorillas have great timing, but the cost of the bananas adds up quickly. :)

Sabato likes this.
  12. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Well, I was looking for a digital pedal. I can’t stand the sound of analog or tube or any of that antique stuff. ☹️ I only bought my Electromatic 5120 because the screws are metric, for superior tone.

Henry and Sabato like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks for introducing me to Nux. That looks like some great stuff. I looked into their line and there’s some great bargains. I noticed that a lot of their pedals are switchable between true bypass and buffered bypass, which is something I think is a great way to go. True Bypass can be a good thing, but sometimes buffers are important.

Well, there goes another month’s pay, as I have to swap everything to metric screws. :) Any price for TONE. :)

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Metric but they must also be titanium for true uncolored clarity and sustain.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Sabato likes this.
  15. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    The whole thing about the metric screws giving better tone is partially a myth. You have to find the metric screws that were made in Eastern Europe during the sixties or seventies for them to actually make a difference.

Teledriver, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Make that three month’s pay.
    Ok, make it six month’s worth. Anything for TONE. :)

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Have you tried metric screws with imperial nuts? They complement each other perfectly for that old timey, roots feel. Sure it rattles but that is old feight train mojo.

Sabato likes this.
  18. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    And just like that, we have a new band name: The Imperial Nuts.

Henry, Bertotti and Sabato like this.
  19. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Metric and imperial together....So is that an “out of phase” effect? May have to look into that!

Sabato likes this.
  20. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Anyone have experience with Walrus Audio SLO or Fathom Verb pedals? Seem really cool, online.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.