NPD - I can't get no ...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by DennisC, May 27, 2020.

1. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I tried a few order of pedal-on-pedal the last days ... it serves very well with the gain around 12 o'clock and a high input level, in this case from a Voodoolab Sparkledrive (which is my main overdrive for most stuff), a TS-derivative I bought after ... I forgot who recommended it, but certainly I owe this guy (... could look it up easily, it was here) ... anyway, prior to looking it up - thank you, if you read this!

I'd totally buy it again. The Sparkledrive, too - so far, I was pretty lucky with pedals, didn't buy a shitty one in years (ok, there were some major breaks between playing times). As a student, on the tight budget going with it, I bought a few really, really cheap ones, of which none is really useful ... I don't even know where I have put them ... must be somewhere still...

Anyway - this will serve me for years to come!

GlenP likes this.
  2. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Sorry to disappoint you mate, but the RAH it’s nothing compared to the original WIIO (the second batch, the first had really too much gain).
    Speaking of fuzz, if you play with an already distorted amp, the WIIO with gain dimed is the best substitute of any Univox Superfuzz (500+ USD on the market) out there.

DennisC likes this.
  3. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I hear you but have been playing for 33 years and gigging on and off for over 20 and have played with more fuzz pedals than I care to count..... definitely for my ZZ Top bread-n-butter. I have used the WIIO and it is good but if I wanted it...... I would've bought it. I certainly love the dynamic of it but it really needed the volume for the full tonal expression. Not so with the RAH. I have been able to emulate the exact tone of recordings like Zeppelin's "The Rover", "In My Time OF Dying" and others......of course my LP Traditional and Tokai LS-135 is a huge part.

I have a 60W Tech21 amp that really supplies all I need. What I do not have though is a certain dimension of tone that the RAH delivers. The WIIO does not. I do cover Zeppelin songs, but that is only part of the reason I bought one. It breaks up the tone in a certain way that really is different......especially with my Strat for SRV and actually Gilmour tones.

It emulates the tone of a cranked up Hiwatt head. I know, I know Stevie Ray did not use it but I love the emulated SRV tone I create broken-up with the RAH on a few songs.....it's a different thing all together. If I want the WIIO, I'll get it used for cheap....no doubt it is cool but I can dial what I want out of it using my Tech 21 and a Boss Blues Driver.

In the end, the RAH has the difference of tonal expression the WIIO did not. The WIIO needed volume and it didn't get the sales so Catalinbread really delivered with a much better option with the RAH.

DennisC and stiv like this.
  4. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I’ve had the RAH too and it’s sure a great pedal. Like many other catalinbread pedals, it’s a very well done pedal and, you know, any pedal is just as good as you hear it on your rig so take my words for what they are, just.. words. :) I’m not saying it’s no good, I just think that the Dirty Little Secret does the JP thing better in my opinion. I’ve been an Hiwatt user (and collector for awhile... now I’m not at it anymore as I couldn’t really justify having more than one Hiwatt head for what I do, which is not too much btw) for 20+ years. I’ve always been in love with the Townshend sound more than the Page or the Gilmour one, and Pete’s Hiwatt was completely different from the others (the eq section didn’t have a mid control, as it was basically set with a fixed value) but I’ve had some 70s heads and I must say that the mid control on the RAH is a lot more ‘scooped’ than the real thing. Just like, you know, a Marshall. But if it works for what you do man, you’ll sure have a great pedal on your rig.

DennisC and NJDevil like this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    With your input on liking Pete Townshend's tone over Page and Gilmour, I get where you are saying and completely agree. The Dirty Little Secret is a great pedal and I want one, but with limited budget, I really had to stay focused with one purchase that met what I was looking for and that satisfied other tonal desires. I bought Catalinbread's Echorec 2 weeks ago so I had to really choose wisely. 100% agree with you on the quality of Catalinbread.....their quality is equally matched by the uniqueness of their line of pedals.

For way too long I've been a guitar-to-amp player so now buying pedals to experiment with vs. borrowing others' for gigs, is really exciting and I am happily surprised how just the incorporation of my echo pedal can influence my practice sessions and style of playing. It's cool that I'm not consciously going outside of my comfort zone but it is just going there.....very cool.

Don't be surprised if I message you in the future for input on another pedal should I explore further......which of course i inevitably will!:D

6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    So you are running the TS into the Fuzz? Have you tried the other way around?

I recently got a mini FuzzFace and have not tried it out with a TS yet, but think they can probably play nice together. The FuzzFace has lots of boost all on its own, but with the TS you can get a little bit of tone control too, either in how you drive the fuzz on the input side or maybe more so when you boost the fuzz on the output side.

DennisC likes this.
  7. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    here is my instant stones rig
    The Driver & Epoch.jpg

NJDevil and DennisC like this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Anytime mate. I’d love to hear what you think about the RAH when you get it.
    There’s so many pedals out there I’d like to try that it’s always good to have an opinion from someone that is into the same sound you’re at.
    That Catalinbread Echorec 2 is another pedal that I‘d love to plug in, unfortunately I don’t really need it but... I’m always starving for some Catalinbread pedal. I think they’re a great company. I’ve had for awhile an original Binson (with a sad story attached: while I was attempting to clean the tape something broke so I left it on my mother’s garage. Which, the week after that decided to do a huge spring cleaning and, thinking it was an old not working AM Radio, my mother threw it in the trash. When I went to her house to collect it and take it to a proper tech, it was gone...). If you’re into that Live at Pompei sound, there’s an amp builder called Cicognani where I used to live on the Italian east coast ( he‘a a point to point wizard and restored my ‘69 Sc105 Sound City, which is the prototype where Townshend’s Hiwatt came from) that make a great reproduction in a mid-sized box called Echosexy, that sounds amazingly close and has that glowing green light too. It’s a bit expensive but it’s the best Echorec on a budget I ever tried.

Sorry for the interruption fellas. Back to Satisfaction!:)

DennisC and NJDevil like this.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The echorec ... is a ... well ... more than interesting device. The drum-device, the Binson. Whatever comes close, would sure be my most desperately prefered echo device - these things are totally ... cool. Magic. Therefore, I have looked into echorec-emulating pedals as well, but didn't even complete the research I see as appropriate before buying anything ... and buying ... is to be delayed for now.

Catalinbread's echorec pedal seems more than interesting to me, of course!

But ... back to satisfaction - didn't change the order yet, but I'll do. Within drive-stuff and aside from it ... usually, I have nothing before the one or two drive pedals, reverb always is last in chain, but I'm gonna play around with that placement, too.

With the 5420, the Satisfaction works well, too. I was kinda afraid, as fuzz pedals are said to be picky, and most of the times not a good match with filterish pickups (Magnatrons aren't exact a traditional ... and so on and so on...), but this at least is nowhere near bad. It works pretty fine with the bridge pickup. The neck one ... I still haven't replaced the riser I idioted broken, so it is way too far off from the strings to sound good - I'll cut out something, I must have something that works well there ... I remember I bought a sheet of 3 mm rubber I made a lot of snippets to prevent damage from virbation on parts of my bike, I just can't find it (I'd buy a few lamps every week if I hadn't ... the rear indicator lights are suspended in one of those rubber-things holding a mouse-ball in place when you buy it ... you know, the mechanical mouse ... back then, when computers were still running on steam and coal...). Recycling.

Anyway, echorec emulation ... is interesting, too, but somehow the lack of mechanical reality would bother me ... I didn't win any lottery lately (didn't even play, I kinda know math ... hard to get me to do that...), so I won't be able to buy one unless I find one the previous owner doesn't know what it is ... and, seriously - I have been in that situation, and decided not to do it because it felt wrong (it was something else anyway, no music stuff).

To me, Echorec and Fuzz both, somehow, represent the cooler part of the sixties. Not a bad combination by any means ... I don't say it often because I'm perfect, but my taste is really, really good.

My sad excuse for an Echorec-replacement - a Behringer Analog Delay boy, costing 25 € new - and a little Donner delay I got in exchange for two sets of strings (not a bad deal, it sounds surprisingly well). The Berhinger Delay was cheap, but it is one of Behringer's good ones (they make a few that sound just flawless, nothing wrong with them in general).

NJDevil and stiv like this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    NJDevil and DennisC like this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I stumbled across this a few weeks ago ... I'll keep looking at it (and the Catalinbread).

NJDevil and stiv like this.
  12. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Dennis - I hear your concern of of the Filtertrons being effective with a fuzz pedal but I have "hopeful expectations" that the dynamics of the Satisfaction can handle anything and nothing but the intended tone shines thru. I do know that the Saisfaction pedal has really been touted as an extremely special and unique fuzz pedal that just has that "mojo" that makes it a bit different than the rest and captures the soul of the Rolling Stones' tone.......especially on that song.

stiv - A close friend who actually owns 2 original Binson Drum machines vouched for the Echosex 2 hitting what I want. That was when I was surprised that he promoted Catalinbread's Echrorec as the best solution for me. He said that the Echorec really emulated the Binson and of course eliminates the decay issues of the heads on the original machine that time and wear-and-tear will bring. I am happy to report that I love the Echorec and really is a different beast. I know Ruger here on the pages has Catalinbread's Adineko that also produces wonderful atmospheric echo tones.

Also, your post just further confirms to me I have to travel to Italy since my father is Italian (Bari & Agrigento) and his parents immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900s. I want to stay as close to the culture, which I have only done so by way of cooking.........actually longer than my 33 years of playing guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.