(Not) Almost Cut My Hair

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sabato, May 23, 2020.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I did, three mirrors, didn't turn out that badly... note I didn't say good. Don't expect pictures...

Telechamp, j.s.c, Waxhead and 6 others like this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I went to barbers all my life. Then, in the spring of 2019, my oldest daughter cut my hair a couple of times, and did a pretty good job. When she went back to college in the fall, her mother took over. It's pretty great being able to get your hair cut at home. Although I have to confess, I've never tried cutting it myself!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Sabato likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At this point, I'm tickled that I have any hair.

4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I don't have much but the length was bugging me. I looked like Doc Brown in Back-to-the-Future first thing in the morning.

mrfixitmi, r0de0, 5120mantis and 4 others like this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Me, too, but only on one side- I sleep with the right side of my face on the pillow, and hardly ever move. Flat on one side, Doc Brown on the other!

mrfixitmi, r0de0 and sgarnett like this.
  6. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    You're not alone. I'm so bad at cutting hair, though, that my only real choice is to give myself a buzz cut.

7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I used to do that, clippers with 1/8" comb, zip zap. Clean, dry right out of the shower, no muss no fuss. BUT - my wife (who has to look at it) says I look like a convict and she objected, so no buzz.

G5422T, mrfixitmi, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Haircut, shoot I'm retired now.

Having a hard time remembering where my shaver is. I do use it on occasion, but letting the "freak flag" fly, at least what's still there.

20200407_214528.jpg

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I haven't had a haircut like that since basic training. I won't let it grow too long coz it looks terrible. I could never be a hippie. I've had the moustache since '69, as soon as I got out of USAF tech school. Wife's only seen a picture of me without one.

It's not so much that I decided to grow a beard, it's just that I gave up the hassle of daily shaving. Retirement has its percs.

Jeff67 and Sabato like this.
  10. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I had a sunroof as well and the rest of it was long (down just past my shoulders). I have hated it and was wearing head scarves and hats in public, I recently thought why am i doing this? I took the drastic option of shaving it all off, and am now ready to join the Baldies from The Wanderers!

JC higgy, new6659, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Great flick! Haven't seen that one in ages.

thunder58 and Yukimajo like this.
  12. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Yeah, mine is always the #2 clippers, a little shorter on top. My wife says it makes me look mean, though. But my hair is so thin that any attempt to style it fails.

I've also been letting my beard grow. I was going to shave it off when everything opened up again, but our shelter in place has just been extended indefinitely, so...where's my razor?

Sabato likes this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My beard, if I didn't shave, would be all white and the hair is so coarse that it would stick out like porcupine quills!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    You've described my beard to a T. I'm kind of fond of it. Or I hate shaving.

Sabato likes this.
  15. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    regret the 6" had cut off 3 years ago,,finally back to a respectable length past the middle of my back

G5422T likes this.
  16. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I have been cutting my own hair for about 5 years now. It takes about an hour once a month. Based on my experience the only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is one week.

Sabato and G5422T like this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I used to cut my hair by pulling my ponytail over my shoulder and hacking at it with scissors. However, I actually really enjoy having someone else brush my hair - its like a brain massage - and I'm a grown up now so if get it professionally cut every 2 to 5 years.

Waxhead and G5422T like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I went to the same barber shop for about 45 years . Then Mario and Lou retired about 5 years ago and I really haven't been that happy with the guy I use now . But in all honesty , I can't wait for him to open .

G5422T and Sabato like this.
  19. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    For the past 10 years, i've used my own Wahl Clipper, it just seems more reasonable to buzz whats left on the roof, i'm usually wearing a hat anyway.
    I also use a DE safety razor to wet shave.
    Something i recomend all men try.
    At least once a year or if a formal eveing is on the calender, i let it grow and get my head shaved and straight razored by a Barber, again another thing evey man should treat himself to.

Sabato and MTurner like this.
  20. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Getting back to my college days in the early 80s.

image.jpg

new6659, Sabato and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.