Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NORMALIZING

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by brownie, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM.

Tags:
  1. brownie

brownie Gretschie

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Anyone out there know of any normalizing program that actually works? For sure, Audacity doesn't work, neither does the one on my Windows7 cd burner.
    It sure is difficult trying to standardise the volume on recorded tracks!

2. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    In my experience, normalizing works perfectly on Audacity, and always has.

Perhaps you need a mastering limiter rather than normalization, if you want to balance out the volume of your tracks?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    brownie likes this.
  3. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    My theory of normalization is, it does the job mathematically. It tweaks volume exactly as it was programmed to do.

The problem is, our ears don't HEAR mathematically. As such, the actual playback volumes we perceive are still out of whack.

Limiting or compression would probably help a lot, but it would have to be incredibly sophisticated limiting to work across the board. Imagine your first song consists of very quiet solo fingerpicking. The next song is an experimental number, using only the lowest notes you can get on 7 string bass, accompanied by cannons (think: 1812 Overture). I'm not sure there is a way to normalize or limit those two tracks to yield "equal volumes" and still have them get across the sonic intention...

brownie likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Sorry mate - I've never been normal or put into a program for it. I probably will be if they ever catch me lol.

brownie likes this.
  6. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Yup. That's exactly what mastering limiters are - very sophisticated limiters that can increase the perceived volume of just about any recording.

Normalisation doesn't do any compression or limiting - it just searches the recording for the loudest point, then increases the overall volume if any headroom is available. For example, if your track is mostly recorded at -12dB, but there's a single spike to -2dB, normalisation will only boost your track volume by +2dB.

Mastering limiters on the other hand can usually boost an already-normalised track by a further 6-9dB, without any detrimental effect on the audio quality.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    brownie likes this.
  7. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Probably inappropriate right here, but I have a suggestion regarding A New Thread.

Is it all about virtuosity?

Russ

8. brownie

brownie Gretschie

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    A big thanks to all you guys who have contributed to my query. Audacity certainly doesn't work for me in Windows 7. Maybe it works in later versions!
    Master limiting appears to be the way to go. Does anyone know any free or free trial limiters that I could try?
    Thanks again guys for your input.

9. toddfan

toddfan Gretschie

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    ....er, I thought this thread was going to be about something else.....