Nor-Cal Roundup: Three (and one-half) Days of Peace & Music

Discussion in 'Gretschtogether' started by Ric12String, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aOGnVKWbwc

The Northern California Gretsch Roundup -- Three (and one-half) Days of Peace and Music

The summer of 1969. Sirhan B. Sirhan was sentenced. Man’s first walk on the moon. Stonewall riots. Chappaquiddick. The Vietnam war. Muhammad Ali’s conviction for draft evasion. Charles Manson, Sharon Tate.

[​IMG]

But, it was also the dawning of the age of Aquarius, or at least its blossoming. Three days of peace and music at the Woodstock Music & Art Fair, an event that would go on to become emblematic for the counter-culture movement of the late 1960's.

The original plan was for an outdoor rock festival, ‘three days of peace and music’ in the Catskill village of Woodstock. What the young promoters got was the third largest city in New York state, population 400,000 (give or take 100,000), location Max Yasgur’s dairy farm near the town of White Lake. -- Life Magazine, August 29, 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...iv&src_vid=StFhvAIv3Js&v=VWNxTfgSjiE#t=00m02s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a full list of artists and bands that committed to doing the show, performances lasted through much of the night. Creedence Clearwater Revival, who was one of the first major acts to agree to perform, and whose willingness to do the show made it easier for the promoters to get other bands to agree to play, were scheduled to play at 3:00 a.m., a fact which left them pretty disgruntled. What’s more, to rub salt into the wound, their performance at the concert did not even make it into the Woodstock movie.

Santana played on the second day and Carlos’s career took a big turn upwards after that performance. Joe Cocker became an almost-instant star after Woodstock. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, performing together for only the second time in public, used the event as a launching pad for the group’s career. The Who, fresh off the release less than three months before of their latest album, Tommy, played an epic 24-song set. During their set, a tripping Abbey Hoffman took the stage and began to talk politics on the microphone, which led to Pete Townshend telling him to get off “my stage”, using some pretty colorful language in doing so. (Hear the verbal exchange here (use discretion as adult language is being used)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_xR__PLTyY&t=0m21s

Coming on at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, Sly and the Family Stone turned in what has been widely hailed as one of their greatest performances. And, having insisted on being the final act of the event, and having been scheduled to appear Sunday at midnight, Jimi Hendrix appeared on Monday at about 9:00 a.m. and played a two-hour set as the crowd began to thin as people left to go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGyylmR-aI

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Woodstock concert was an event that profoundly affected our American popular culture at that time. The way people later looked, dressed, and talked was all impacted by what we witnessed in the movie of the concert.

Join us at the 2013 Northern California Gretsch Roundup as we celebrate this epic event in American popular culture, one which Rolling Stone magazine characterized as one of the 50 Moments That Changed the History of Rock and Roll. Play some of the music of your favorite Woodstock band and remember some the event’s incredible performances.

The Roundup has been lengthened this year by a day to four days, which should give us more of an opportunity for everyone to be able to get in a little more playing time. And it will also create a greater opportunity for friendships to be renewed and new ones to be made.

Date: September 5-8, 2013
    Place: Clair Tappaan Lodge, 19940 Donner Pass Road
    Norden, California 95724

3. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

One of the most iconic images that many of us took from the Woodstock concert event was when John Sebastian, alone with his acoustic guitar, took the stage and played a brief, but optimistic and romantic, 5-song set. Dressed in his tie-dyed jacket and jeans, and sandals, and perhaps feeling the effects of more than just the emotional rush of being on a stage in front of 400,000 people, Sebastian was downright ebullient in his enthusiasm for the spirit of community that existed at the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvD1DZxcMc

John Sebastian hadn’t even been scheduled to play at Woodstock at all. He was there as an audience member, with some friends backstage, and was simply asked to take the stage to fill a gap between performers.

[​IMG]

John Sebastian will be our special guest at the 2013 Northern California Roundup. If you are in attendance, you will hear him tell exactly how it felt for him to be standing on that stage in front of all of those people. Hear him tell us about his perspective on this moment in history.

[​IMG]

But, there is so much more to John Sebastian than just that one performance at Woodstock. He was a member of the Mugwumps with Cass Elliott. He was friends with Bob Dylan. He was a member of the extremely popular and successful band, The Lovin’ Spoonful, who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000. He wrote or co-wrote most of the Spoonful’s biggest hits, songs like Daydream, You Didn’t Have To Be So Nice, Do You Believe In Magic, Summer In The City, Younger Girl, Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?, and many others.

An inductee into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, hear John Sebastian talk about how he approaches songwriting. Hear him share the process that he used on some of his most famous songs. And find out how one of his most popular songs, *Welcome Back*, used as the theme song in the television series Welcome Back, Kotter, came to be.

Those who attended last year’s Northern California Roundup know what an extraordinary opportunity it will be to be able to hear a first-hand account of John Sebastian’s place in rock ‘n’ roll history. This is an event that you won’t want to miss.

4. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that the Northern California Roundup is much like a Gretsch summer camp. The Clair Tappaan Lodge is an historic ski lodge from the 1930's nestled in the highest reaches of the Sierra Nevada’s Donner Summit. Accommodations are comfortable, but more on the rustic side of things. Bring a bedroll, or you can rent linens at the Lodge for a nominal additional fee. Your $55 (plus tax) per night lodging fee includes three meals each day.

[​IMG]

We want to encourage each of you to stay at the Lodge during the Roundup. We have again negotiated the exclusive use of the Lodge on Friday and Saturday nights, which will guarantee us the ability to play music on each of those nights into the wee hours of the morning without worrying about disturbing the sleep of guests who are not attending the event. However, that exclusive use agreement comes at a price, the final amount of which is dependent upon the number of guests who actually stay at the Lodge. So, please, unless you have a major health issue that can’t be addressed at the Lodge, give some strong consideration to staying with us at the Clair Tappaan Lodge.

You can make a reservation at the Clair Tappaan Lodge by calling (800) 679-6775.

If you have never been to a Roundup, then take this opportunity to do so. You will find that it is unlike any other event that you have ever been to. The fellowship that you will experience with the other musicians, who also share your love of Gretsch guitars, will be something that will sustain you for many months after you leave. Quite simply, your life will be different after you have been to a Roundup.

Join us for our own version of three (and one-half) days of peace and music as we celebrate the infamous Woodstock concert event in one of nature’s finest locations ever.

See you there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdsRWhyH30

[​IMG]

5. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    And, let me hasten to add one more thought here.

This is a Gretsch event. As a member of both sites (the G-T site and the GDP site), let me assure you that everyone is welcome at this event. Raye Boals will also attest to the fact that you will be made to feel welcome at the Roundup. At the time of last year's Roundup, he was posting more on G-T than on GDP, and he fit right in and had a great time there. LA_Manny has had the same experience. And so will you.

So, come on and join with us. You will never be the same after having been to a Roundup.

6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I agree with everything Ric12String says above except for the part I highlighted in bold. I found out that even after the great time I had at the Roundup, when I got home I was still the same wonderful person I was before I went.:cool:
    I just want to encourage anyone here that is thinking about going that you will feel very comfortable and at home with the other Gretschies that are at the Roundup. We are all in the Brotherhood of Gretsch and have a love and appreciation for music. You will be glad you went.

7. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    So, what say you guys and gals? Anyone have an interest in attending this great event?

8. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

No one wants to hang out with Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame member John Sebastian and hear him share tales about what really went on behind the scenes at Woodstock? Or hear about how he wrote some of the most iconic songs from the 1960's? I know that it may be a different demographic, but, trust me, you will have tons of fun.

Fellow Gretsch fans, this is an event that you will kick yourself later if you don't make it. Ask folk like Raye Boals, LA_Manny, giffenf, FritzTheCat, afm_380, Hot Rod Michelle, Sarah93003, and the many others who have made it to the Roundup about how much fun they have had. Once you attend, you won't want to ever miss another one.

[​IMG]

Joe Carducci will be there with all of his Gretsch love and enthusiasm. And, if he remains true to form, he will be bearing tons of Gretsch swag, much like Santa on Christmas Eve. Everyone in attendance will have the chance to win some.

[​IMG]

And...we have a great design for this year's Roundup T-shirt too. $10 for a spectacular T-shirt. You can't find a high quality T-shirt for that price, much less one that commemorates what will be a very special weekend in your life.

[​IMG]

There is NO admission fee. It is free. The cost of accommodations is dirt cheap. And your three meals a day are included in that low cost of lodging. So, the lack of money can't be a legitimate reason not to attend.

We have even added an additional day to the festivities so that there will be lots of time to play all of those songs that you want to play. Or, if you don't want to get up and play, you will have lots of time to kibbitz with other Gretsch lovers.

So, come join us at the Northern California Roundup. You will be SO happy that you did.

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    CLICK ON THE BRITISH FLAG FOR THE VIDEO I would also like to encourage anybody on this forum that can get there to go. The Gretchies from the "other site" are some of the finest nicest encouraging people that you will ever meet. There will be every level of player there do not be intimidated you will be extremely comfortable with everyone there. Last year Peter Asher of Peter and Gordon++++ one on one and this year Jon Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful ++++ WOW!!!! I can hardly wait. Ric12string are you going to share the song lists in their respective keys for the jams? Here is is a video of one of the fun Jams with yours truly and the White Falcon I got rid of. :D
    [​IMG]
    CLICK ON THE BRITISH FLAG

10. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Raye, I am trying to work through a little glitsch on the Suggested Songlist page. Once that is back up to speed, then, yes, we can do that.

We want everyone within traveling distance of the Roundup to come out and join us. You will be made to feel VERY relaxed playing with these guys, or just hanging out and talking about guitars, music, and life. You will go home a different person, I promise you!

11. PacRat

PacRat Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Atlanta, Texas
    I wanna go . . . .it's the price of getting there that becomes a pain for me . . . anyone thinking of driving from Arizona?

12. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    PacRat, there are roundtrip flights available on Southwest for as little as $406. I know that that is a big chunk of change, but, in the overall big scheme of things, it would be the biggest expense of your trip by far. Lodging/meals is very cheap.

dbirchett is from Tempe, which isn't exactly near you, but I believe that he flies when he comes anyway. Maybe you and Mark Sorensen could make a road trip out of it! Now, that could be some fun.

13. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

By the way, if anyone is intending to come to the Roundup, and wants to purchase a commemorative T-shirt of the Roundup event, they are only $10, are very high quality shirts, and come in most men's sizes. If you want to order one, please send me an email with your requested shirt size. My email address is my screen name followed by @yahoo.com.

We are less than a month out now from the event. I was just on the phone yesterday with John Sebastian making plans for the event and it promises to be a great time. Tom "TV" Jones will be there as well, and Joe Carducci always makes the party a fun one.

You should be sure to call the Clair Tappaan Lodge to get your reservation made. There will be plenty of beds available, but it helps for planning purposes to know a headcount in advance. You can reach the Lodge at (800) 679-6775. However, even if you make a last minute decision to attend, please do so without worrying about not having a bed to sleep in. The Lodge is very large and there are lots of available beds.

I'm hoping to see some of you there for this special event.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    will there be a giveaway/raffle like before?? If so lemmeknow

15. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Yes, Tavo, there will be. Are you in your perpetually generous mood? :)

16. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    For planning purposes, it would be helpful to know if anyone from Gretsch-Talk is planning on attending?

If not, and to help make these events more responsive and better for all Gretsch players, please help me understand what keeps you from attending? This is really directed towards those members who would be within driving distance of the event rather than everyone on the site. Is it the type of venue (rustic old ski lodge)? Is it the cost? or just what are the barriers to your attendance.

Many thanks.

17. PacRat

PacRat Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Atlanta, Texas
    It's definitely the cost of travel for me, I'd be there in a heartbeat if I wasn't so broke

18. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    That is really unfortunate, PacRat. I wish there were someone from your area driving over here that you could hitch with.

19. PacRat

PacRat Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Atlanta, Texas
    I'm not going to give up . . . one of these days I'll make the trip even if it kills me. I may try to start a small fund and set some aside to try and make it next year . . . good lord willing and the creek don't rise.

20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    well my fun in Nashville came undone and I'm headed to Nor Cal to hang out with all the crunchy granola, hemp wearing, patchouli dousing hessians!! :)

As a tribute to the Nor Cal Roundup, I made a special nocturne brain preamp just for our raffle time. I took the blood of 69 dead hippies to create the nor cal roundup "Purple Haze" Atomic Brain and i added a 3rd Purple LED to insure its uniqueness for this event.. Ya cant win it if you dont come and enter the raffle!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.