Noisy fretboard on 2420

NewbieBob

Electromatic
Jul 18, 2020
New York City
Love my 2420 but the fretboard is really noisy when I bend. When I push my finger across the board to bend, it makes a loud, 'groaning' noise as the fretboard resists the movement of my finger across it. Of course, it is most noticeable and annoying when I'm playing acoustically, which I do often. My Squier strat is completely silent but this fretboard makes a lot of noise. Anybody else run into this? Any solutions to treating the fretboard?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Sounds like the frets may be in need of polishing. Get a fret guard/protector and some Brasso or other metal polish.

1659394762356.jpeg

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
A groaning noise? If it is the board itself I'd first try treating it, I use F-One oil.
To polish the frets I just bought the economy kit:

NewbieBob

Electromatic
Jul 18, 2020
New York City
Yes, it's the board itself, not the frets which would be more of a 'scratchy' noise. The noise is coming from my fingers pressing hard against the board. I'll explore treating the board with the F-One oil and other similar treatments. Thanks!

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Yes, it's the board itself, not the frets which would be more of a 'scratchy' noise. The noise is coming from my fingers pressing hard against the board. I'll explore treating the board with the F-One oil and other similar treatments. Thanks!

You could do what I have done on a few fretboards. I have sanded rough boards with 600 grit sandpaper making sure I sand up and down the board not across the fretboard. Then clean it up with Naphtha. You would then apply the treatment of your choice

NewbieBob

Electromatic
Jul 18, 2020
New York City
Here's something I just noticed. It's not when my fingers press and bend over the actual wood of the fretboard. It's when my finger presses and pushes against the (plastic) mother of pearl inlays. If I push over the wood itself, no noise. Is there a fix for this?

Last edited:

Stingray70

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
Here's something I just noticed. It's not when my fingers press and bend over the actual wood of the fretboard. It's when my finger presses and pushes against the (plastic) mother of pearl inlays. If I push over the wood itself, no noise. Is there a fix for this?
Are the strings actually touching the plastic fret markers? It's hard to comment without seeing whats actually happening but it sounds to me like you might be pressing too hard on the strings....???? When I play, and I'm not saying that I'm the final word when it comes to correct guitar playing form, but the string and my fingers make very little if any contact with the actual fret board, even when bending. It usually takes years of playing before wear marks start to show on guitar fret boards.... When you fret a note your strings should just be touching the frets, not the fret board and you should be pressing down right near the back of the fret, not in the middle of the fretting "space."

NewbieBob

Electromatic
Jul 18, 2020
New York City
Thanks Stingray,
I'm going to work on my technique. Because yes, it's my fingers that are pressing against the fretboard inlays making the noise.
Thanks for pointing that out.

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
My 6120DSW fretboard squeaks... I need to address it but it gets very little playing time...