Nocturne Marquesan

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Good question!
    Mine has landed as well. Looking forward to tonight.

Merc likes this.
  2. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You will not regret this decision. Trust me on that. I have a video of me playing mine live with a band, no pedals, just straight into a Deluxe Reverb and cranked way up. It's a tone that just makes me feel good. I'll share it as soon as I get it up on YouTube.

(Looking for the sheepish-embarrassment emoji...) and I still haven't been home long enough to plug my Marquesan in yet. I hang my head in shame.

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Bizarre. Plugged mine in and started playing Rolling Stones riffs. I didnt expect that.
    Liking it with the carve at 9 oclock and the Gnar around noon. Im all over the dial with the Steez. But it will all be different once the house is empty and i can crank it a bit.

Merc and Sabato like this.
  4. Desirsar

Desirsar Gretschie

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Carve hair from the bottom, Steez hair from the top, gain until just before it's a little too smooth on the peaks... then loud. I have the Flow at 3 and have to have my Switchblade Pro nearly off and amp nearly off to avoid annoying the neighbors, and it still feedbacks from the noise my cables pick up... when I'm five feet away and facing away from the amp. Loud and bitey is what I wanted and that's exactly what I got.

Plan now is to send the dry tracks from every song we've ever recorded back through it, the VST amp and distortion we used wasn't quite right for punk, but this will be.

Merc, mbkri and Sabato like this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    You need to show that video of the Rooster. Also, do us a favor (or somebody, Bueller anybody please) and somebody do a real demo of the Marquesan. Nobody has done a video of this "mystery Rat/Ubangi improvement pedal". All I have heard is that this is a Ubangi Stomp in a smaller case. If this thing has improved the Rat/Fuzz I will be on it in a heartbeat. IMO Tavo is a genius at pedals no question. If the Marquesan does for the rat what his Detroit Casket AKA Fluid Drive did to light to medium overdrive and make me send my Timmy off the board forever. The Casket/Fluid Drive ended my search for the perfect light to medium responsive overdrive. I will be all over it like a spilt can of paint. I just haven't seen anything convincing about the Marquesan other than just lip service about how great the Ubangi is or was. I am not from Missouri but I just say "SHOW ME" I have $$$$$$ waiting to buy. So all you "talkers" get a demo out there.

Merc, Tele295, Trash Kidd and 4 others like this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  7. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    DABFDFDC-7F88-4E0E-A24D-7CD1D7833907.jpeg OK – this thing sounds amazing with a jaguar into a deluxe reverb…
    I’ve kicked my fuzz off of this board until I figure out where I want it to go. It stacks really well with everything on here. I a/b’d it with an early Ubangi. It sounds louder and tighter to my ears. The new mids control adds a ton of versatility. Haven’t played with the internal clipping switch yet. Super happy with the purchase. Not sure why @TV the Wired Turtle keeps discontinuing it, but I’m really happy for the update/ rerelease. If you’re on the fence, just get it!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Marv666, Merc, audept and 3 others like this.
  8. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hi, Raye. Tonight I was trying out actual pedals for a gig this weekend (getting tired of modeling effects...again), and thought, "Hey, I need to do something close to the Reverend Horton Heat, maybe this Marquesan is the ticket." And yes, I think I'll be using it for that. Had to swap the Nailhead out of the Rackabilly for it so I can keep the settings where they need to be, and use the Fluid Drive for the other O/D song, and it's gonna slay. My neighbors could probably tell you how it sounds, because they all heard it tonight.

Oh, and about this, well, I need to do a better demo, but I need to be home for a little while to do that, and that hasn't been possible recently. Here's the video I mentioned, the guitar is on the verge of being drowned out by the other 9 (yes, 9) people in that band, but when you can hear it, oh, my. The solo comes in at about 1:40.

Merc, Henry, rcboals and 1 other person like this.
  9. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Is it sacrilege to say that I think I prefer this to my ‘vintage’ Ubangi?

Merc likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And it's here! Made it all the way halfway round the planet to my door:
    IMG_1211.JPG

Marv666, Merc, Stefan87 and 6 others like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I believe the new knob might’ve replaced that internal switch but I’m not positive. Sorry a bit late reply. I started a new job so it’s been busy.

12. Desirsar

Desirsar Gretschie

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Mine definitely has a switch inside, shipped in the left position, still not sure which is which.

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I guess it’s all part of the secret Nocturne magic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.