Nocturne Dyno Brain on order...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Shadowy_Man, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    So a couple of weeks back I ordered a Nocturne Dynobrain to complement my 5420. I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Nocturne pedals and will post my thoughts whenever it arrives! :cool:

Hammerhead, Henry, bobk and 7 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A Brain is a great thing. I really like the blue on the current one too. Brains are my favorite pedal with the El Pescadoro just about being even for a different vintage vibe. Hopefully you enjoy yours just as much.

MTurner and Shadowy_Man like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Awesome! The brain preamp in my Mystery Brain is always on. It gives the Filtertron sound more focus and more balls.
    What kind of amp are you playing through?

Trash Kidd, Merc and Shadowy_Man like this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    It's a Super Champ X2 (head and cab). I definitely dig the idea of getting a more focused sound - I try to do that through a modified SD-1 currently, but I figured I ought to try out a Brain. I heard it enhances the sound especially with finger picking.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Merc and Outlaw like this.
  5. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I've got the Atomic brain version and it is an always on pedal, it is an awesome pedal and one that I will never sell.
    The Dynobrain is the same thing but without the boost (abby) switch.
    Good choice.
    Your gonna love it.

Merc, Shadowy_Man and capnhiho like this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    My DynoBrain was the first Nocturne pedal I bought. In fact, I think that was before I even owned a board to mount it on. Since then it has rarely been switched off - especially when play my 5420 or my Jet.

You’re going to love it!!

Merc and Shadowy_Man like this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You’ll find the sweet spots. Start with your amp clean and then move the preamp volume around.
    I like keeping my brain with the volume somewhere between noon and 1 o’clock.
    It also sounds awesome cranked to 3 o’ clock. For my purposes, I keep the bass cut at 0.

Trash Kidd, Merc and Shadowy_Man like this.
  8. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I love to crank the pre amp, it gets real raw and distorted when mixed w/ my El Pesky.....

EchoTwang and Shadowy_Man like this.
  9. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    LOVE my Dyno Brain. I like to push my Dr Z Remedy with it and get some really gainy sounds.

Merc and Shadowy_Man like this.
  10. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Mail today!

So far I've only played it for 30 minutes. I would describe it as a sweetener/booster. I like what it does to the upper mids, and it stacks well with the American Sound. More thoughts when I've had more time with it, although I know most of you are probably already familiar. :cool:

bobk likes this.
  11. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Had some more time with it.

I've been aware of this pedal for some time, and always wanted to try it. I'm playing it with a T-90 equipped Gretsch. I'll get to try it out with Filtertrons this weekend when I install some on my second guitar. This is a definitely a "more" pedal. Seems to work great as an always on pedal, that brings out some sweetness in the upper mids. There is also a bass cut which I always appreciate (I'm of the opinion that mids are where the tone is at for guitar). Stacks well with the American Sound pictured. It works less well with the SD-1. You can kind of dial it in (especially if you set the Brain for the highest bass setting), but I think they compete with each other rather than complement each other.

I tend to like subtle tone shapers and preamps. I live at just the edge of clean and slightly distorted. Very happy with this pedal. If you turn it off you definitely miss it, it adds a lot of "life" to the sound.

Great stuff!

[​IMG]

bobk likes this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Quick question for @Tavo

The pedal came with a free branded Nocturne pick. Is that similar to the picks you sell on your site? It has a really nice attack to it. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    That pick I toss in as merch is a Delrin 1mm that I like to use on my acoustics for rhythm. the ones I have on my site are an engraved and polished 1.5mm acrylic pick made by a so cal company. my favorite picks for electric.

[​IMG]

14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The best part is if you add drugs, you'll have delicious fried eggs!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  16. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    If you haven’t yet....Try the Dyno first in chain then drive.

capnhiho and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  17. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I messed around a bit with the order. It works well in front of the American Sound. I don't use it with the SD-1. but the Dyno Brain seems to like the SD-1's buffer in front of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.