No wonder I never joined The GDP before

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by guitarmaker, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    It never works! Of the hundreds of times I've tried to go on the Gretsch Pages, more than half of them I've gotten the message "Bad Gateway". Thank you Gretsch talk for working the first time, every time!

2. TennisNick

TennisNick Gretschie

May 3, 2010
    Moncton, NB
    I stopped going there for the same reason. And they've just celebrated a major anniversary. Seems like they would've had plenty of time to work out a way to be online all the time and not just every once in a while.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the forum format, but that's a personal preference.

3. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    been a member there for two years, made three posts......well, maybe two...:)

4. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had the same problem. You should email the guy Baxter who runs the site. He needs to do something to re-set your account and make it work properly. I contacted him and he fixed it for me and now I can post there. The site still goes down often, but when I post it works. Contact Baxter, he's a good guy.

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    We have good members here that are also members of the GDP, Please don't put the GDP down. They are a good group of people there and it is a good site. Thank you!

6. S Macp

S Macp Country Gent

Sep 6, 2009
    Glasgow, UK
    ^ What he said. It's a fantastic site, a great resource.

7. Pickfish

Pickfish Gretschie

May 16, 2009
    Lithia,FL
    I had signed up there first but between the "bad gateway" and some of the other issues, I came over here. I've been pokin' around for little over a year now and I like it here. Always something interesting going on. You can come here and watch someone build a guitar, get answers to import questions, and even have a good laugh. Good bunch here!!

8. MGllm

MGllm Synchromatic

Well said, Juke. The site may have its challenges but the folks there have much to offer. Good folk here, too.

I'd be a far better player if I'd turn off the damn computer and play guitar!

9. brian blaut

brian blaut Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It's a cool site. Lots of great and informative members, just like this site. A couple of touble makers, but we've had our share here too. It is annoying when I can't get in, but it is what it is. Many members there have created frustrated threads about trying to resolve the problem. I'm not sure it CAN be resolved. I have a feeling the problem is too big. I suspect it will get worse until it cannot function at all. Until then, it goes through spurts of being more or less difficult to log in. Lately it's been a real problem.

10. Pickfish

Pickfish Gretschie

May 16, 2009
    Lithia,FL
    You are right Juke! I've read a lot of good stuff there too!

11. Ripley1046

Ripley1046 Synchromatic

Apr 4, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I'm a member of the GDP, and I actually would have never given this forum the time of day before I joined up over there.

Each format has pros and cons, I kind of prefer the GDPs layout, but that's not to say I dislike this one.

The errors are an issue with the hosting site I believe, and Baxter has been asking for beta testers for a new site, so we are hoping that things get cleared up soon.

Both are great forums, and I'm happy to be a member of both. I started coming here only when the GDP was down, but decided it was worth sticking around a little more.

I've joined a few other forums, but I end up ditching them pretty fast because there aren't many with such nice and helpful people as the two Gretsch forums. Maybe it's something in the tone that keeps us calm. :)

12. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Baxter does have his new form up and running and it is way different than the GDP, it even has a different name.

13. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    As a builder of one of the finest bar bridges available, I of course got bashed relentlessly on that site. There are much more than a couple of bad apples over there in my opinion. What was said and done to me is totally out of line and the mod's should have dealt with it. Over here, there are no better mannered folks anywhere on the Internet. That said, it is very very rare I even give that site a look anymore.
    Pop's

14. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    It's a great place for info at GDP. I've been a member for years, but it does have it's difficulties and problems. I basically gave up, since I keep getting bad gateways over there. I think because it's an older forum it has attracted some negative folks and the moderator just can't keep up. No one should get insulted straight out. I too have been insulted over there, just mentioning a particular model and year Gretsch. That should not happen. If you don't like something, don't turn it into an insult or make a person look bad. It's also difficult to search. I search it using Google, but the results can be vary wide.

I like it here, like Pop's said, there are no better mannered folks here.:)

15. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I agree, you cannot find the great info anywhere that is over there.

16. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA

Not to make waves because believe me I respect you both but I have to disagree with both perspectives here. For one I followed Wayne's foray at the GDP. While things have gotten heated at times over the bridge issues at times no one on either side was listening to what the others were saying and that's both parties involved. That will lead to some heat! OTOH at times heated discussions are beneficial. It gets to the root of the question and that is where the GDP shines. I have on occasion had to speak my mind. I don't like doing it but on both sites I have witnessed personal attacks. Matter of the fact statements (Which really bother me for some reason) The phrase "End of story!" can set me off!:rolleyes: and this has happened on both sites when someone new comes in and makes this bold but ridiculous statement without knowing all the facts or even a clue of what they are talking about! Some of the older posters know a little bit of what I am talking about and who I am talking about.

I backed out of this site several times now for such reasons listed. More or less cutting back on my posting. Some of this came about in just the past year. I can get over it and so can anyone who thinks they were unjustly ripped on the GDP. It's all in presentation and it is hard to properly present yourself in the forum format. If you go in with respect you will walk out with respect at the end of the night when you log off.

17. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    The GDP is somewhat a victim of its own success. Baxter has had to move the site to different servers in order to keep up with the volume, which is pretty staggering. At this very moment, he is dealing with a site that seems to be down waaaaaay too much. He knows it, we all know it, and he is trying to move to another server that will accommodate the tremendous traffic.

The sites are quite different, not only in format and appearance, but also in how they are run. Baxter runs the GDP with a very light touch. He leaves it to the members to sort out who the bad apples are and, in most cases, those people end up leaving because they are identified as such.

I am surprised, yet not shocked, that some say that they were shouted down or insulted upon arriving. I can honestly say that I have rarely ever seen that occur there. GDP'ers are much like G-T'ers in that we are a somewhat older demographic, we can afford nice gear, and usually have done something with our lives. The flaming and name calling rarely occurs there, but, if someone makes outlandish statements or claims, then they will find that people are not unwilling to call a spade a spade (not sure what the history of that expression is...if it is politically incorrect, please tell me and I will somehow come up with a different expression).

I can't defend everything that has occurred there, nor can I defend everything that has occurred here. But, they are both great sites, with tremendous people. Some of the GDP'ers have encyclopedic knowledge about Gretsch guitars. KCEddie, for example. He has even written a book about the G6120 model.

In normal times, the GDP goes down occasionally and the delay or inconvenience is vastly outweighed by the benefits one gets over there. However, right now, the site is in full shut down mode. I think that Baxter may be trying to transition some of the site to the new server and that might explain why it has been down so much of the day today.

Like I have said on here before, there is more than enough reason for the two sites to co-exist peacefully and to promote each other, frankly. We all have more to learn about these instruments and we get that from BOTH sites.

18. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    And, by the way, that's the end of the story!

(Shall I crouch down now to avoid the blows?)

19. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Also, the fact that some of the GDP's members include people like Duane Eddy's wife, Deed, Brian Setzer, Billy Zoom, Keith Scott, Paul Pigat, Richard Hudson, Paul Yandell, and others who needn't tolerate any nonsense, also speaks volumes about what goes on there.

By the way, for those who felt like they were roughed up upon first joining, Brian Setzer got slightly roughed up before he was a member and that was his invitation to come on and rebut the remarks, which he did effectively, and he has remained on there posting. One might say that, if it is good enough for Setzer, then maybe I shouldn't worry about any negative remarks.

20. Duo Gent

Duo Gent Gretschie

Jan 27, 2010
    Louisiana
    I agree 100%, that it's a great place to find info on almost any aspect of a Gretsch. I found ohm readings for FilterTron pups there. But, I cannot register. After seeing "AW NUTS!" 100 or so times, I gave up. I hope they can fix the problems.

How cool would it be for Brian Setzer to reply to your post? :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice