No serial number

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Lately (last couple of weeks) I've been seeing what seems to me to be a large number of guitars without serial numbers on several different auction sites. My guess is that most of them are stolen.
I don't bid on these, but should I be doing more? I do not know that they are stolen, obviously, as weird owners could scrape off the number...

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Lately (last couple of weeks) I've been seeing what seems to me to be a large number of guitars without serial numbers on several different auction sites. My guess is that most of them are stolen.
I don't bid on these, but should I be doing more? I do not know that they are stolen, obviously, as weird owners could scrape off the number...

Not stolen...

More likely replicas/copies.

The Eastern sellers, ALIExpress, DHGate and others sell ''copies''. To the untrained eye, it is very difficult to know the difference, especially when all the brand logos are copied as well.

Some of the Les Paul copies, Fender copies, and a few others come pretty close.

A lot of these guitars end up on western shores and are re-sold either by the unknowing, or the dishonest.

None of these guitars have serial numbers.

Hofner for one, does make legitimate ''brand'' guitars in China. they are sold through reputable dealers, and they do have serial numbers.

Be careful, know what you're buying, and just as important, know who you're buying from.

Hope this helps,

Best,

BIB

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Not stolen...

More likely replicas/copies.

The Eastern sellers, ALIExpress, DHGate and others sell ''copies''. To the untrained eye, it is very difficult to know the difference, especially when all the brand logos are copied as well.

Some of the Les Paul copies, Fender copies, and a few others come pretty close.

A lot of these guitars end up on western shores and are re-sold either by the unknowing, or the dishonest.

None of these guitars have serial numbers.

Hofner for one, does make legitimate ''brand'' guitars in China. they are sold through reputable dealers, and they do have serial numbers.

Be careful, know what you're buying, and just as important, know who you're buying from.

Hope this helps,

Best,

BIB
I doubt it. I'm not talking about Chibuns. I'm talking about Squiers, Yamaha Pacificas, even Ibanez GIOs. Not guitars worth copying.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I doubt it. I'm not talking about Chibuns. I'm talking about Squiers, Yamaha Pacificas, even Ibanez GIOs. Not guitars worth copying.

If their legit, there will be a serial number on the guitar somewhere. If you see something you like, contact the manufacturer or a licensed dealer, they can give you SN ID info and where it's located on the instrument.

If you doubt the legitimacy, walk away.

Like I said in the previous post, who you buy from is as important as what you buy.

BIB

RktScience

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2012
Oklahoma
Years ago--1979, in fact--I was stationed in Germany and bought a Hofner classical guitar from the PX in Nuremburg, because (1) I did not have a guitar with me in Germany, and (2) I never had a classical guitar so I wanted to try one out. I still have it today, although I have added electronics (no help), but not only does it not have a serial number, it does not even have a model number. I have tried to find information about it, even looking for "similar" Hofner models, but to no avail. I believe it is legitimately from Hofner, but have no idea where it was actually made.

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Years ago--1979, in fact--I was stationed in Germany and bought a Hofner classical guitar from the PX in Nuremburg, because (1) I did not have a guitar with me in Germany, and (2) I never had a classical guitar so I wanted to try one out. I still have it today, although I have added electronics (no help), but not only does it not have a serial number, it does not even have a model number. I have tried to find information about it, even looking for "similar" Hofner models, but to no avail. I believe it is legitimately from Hofner, but have no idea where it was actually made.
That is another possibility... not just PX, but when a big box store orders a bunch of anything manufactured to a pricepoint, the manufacturer may leave off the serial numbers so that they don't get confused with the models sold through their "normal" channels.
That's not something I would shy away from, if only I knew how to tell...