No NAD.... Foiled!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ishtar, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

An account of my recent frustration -

What comes inside a box that says 'Open other end" on BOTH ends of the box? A Princeton Reverb, that's what.

Yesterday, FEDEX dropped off a Princeton Reverb Reissue. I hauled the box inside, appreciative of it's manageable mass. On the top of the box it said both, 'This side up" and "Open other end".

I gently 'rolled' the box over only to see another "Open other end" message on the other other end...

I double checked. Perhaps I was supposed to open BOTH ends?

I oriented the box again according to the "This side up" label. Opened the box and observed the amp's stainless foot pads on top. I turned the box over again and slipped the box off of the amp, and had it standing correctly, as it should.

Plugged the foot switch and power cord into the amp, plugged the power cord into the AC outlet.

OMG! Lovely clean tone, clear and with no hum or noise at all. Pressed the 'Reverb' switch on the pedal... Nada... Nothing noticeable happened to the sound.

I have read the reverb on PRRIs is subtle, and maybe I have sustained further and significant hearing loss since the last time my ears have been graced with a Fender sound... but was that disappointing! Turned the reverb up all the way... No change.

Pressed the 'Verb' button, and holy schnikes, it sounded as if Roland the headless Thompson gunner was mowing me down in my living room! Completely and obnoxiously loud and not anything anyone could appreciate.

Sent it back. Replacement has shipped.

Likely was a simple fix, but come on!

Sigh....

Someday soon, I hope to be strumming with a deLisle Double Nickel feeding the left side of my head and a functional PRRI nourishing my right side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CatTones, T Bone, S.R.Cash and 6 others like this.
  2. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I let my PRRI go because the cabinet vibrated when the volume was at 4 or more. It seems to be a common problem, but I couldn't find the loose area so I couldn't fix it.

When its buyer came over and tried it, there was no vibration, maybe because it was up on an amp stand. I had a moment of second-thinking as to whether I should back out of the deal, because it really did sound great that last time I heard it.

I hope you have all good sounds from your replacement. Those amps can sound great when they work right.

ishtar likes this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm sure half a dozen guys on this forum could have fixed it for you, but alas. They're not where you are and you shouldn't have to fix a brand new one!

ishtar likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ah, Sartre's less well known sequel about three strangers and a box, "No Entry."

Good luck with the next one!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    ishtar, dougmon and mister rain like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would suggest replacing the reverb cables in any new Fender amp. Apparently, at some point, they started using very low quality cables and the sounds you will hear if those cables are bad is something I would not wish on anyone.

ishtar and wabash slim like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I replaced the cheapo reverb cables in an amp with some schmanzy 200 dollar VandenHull interconnects. To my ears it made it an appreciable difference although the general consensus seems to be it shouldn't, and I'm just hearing things. Exactly.

Medium John and ishtar like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I thought you would still be turning the box, looking for the way in....

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The RCA cables to and from the reverb pan are in the signal path, any time the reverb is in use. If there are any problems, then the signal will be impacted. In the case of my ‘68 CDR, it was basically unusable until I got better cables.

ishtar and Ricochet like this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I hate it when you wait for equipment to arrive and it is faulty right out of the box. Sorry for your dilemma and hope the replacement is exactly what you want.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Always suspect the cables and connectors first when troubleshooting.

ishtar likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s amazing how much they can effect things. My ‘68 CDR was so bad that I was seriously considering making a video of me cutting it in half with a chainsaw, and it turned out to be two cables, which cost less than an order of French Fries at McDuck’s.

ishtar and Groutsch like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    And far less salt!

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    You are going to love it when you get it. I just sold my 65’ only because I haven’t performed in decades and I live in a crowded house and really never get to use the amp at any real volume...A real waste of a tube amp.

I still have my SS Roland Blues Cube Stage that does a very respectable low volume.

The Princeton

E5484B32-C508-4047-AC40-942CB5A3F2F0.jpeg

Medium John likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I really like that trundle-bed solution to pedalboard storage.

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Just going to a better made set might very well make a difference. But between Vandenhul and one you might make from quality materials, I think the difference would be zero.

ishtar and Ricochet like this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Thanks, with two little kids, two dogs and a cat running around in that room it keeps my amp and pedals out of harms way when not in use.

ishtar and wabash slim like this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah, it is really a shame that Fender buys the 25 cent cables instead of the one dollar cables but such is the way of the bean-counters who know nothing of music and don't really care.

ishtar and Gretschtim1 like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Kids and critters are why my guitars live in their cases.

ishtar likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've actually seen the cables plugged in backwards so nothing surprises me. I fought Fender for weeks about a distorted tremolo in my 68 Princeton. They even sent me a new amp which had the same problem and didn't sound as good as the original. I liked the sound of the original one so I kept it. Fixed the problems the amp had, did some mods along the way and absolutely love the amp. Fender's quality control sucks. The warranty is worthless unless a transformer fries. Tech support is basically one guy who answers the phone (very nice but worthless) and takes the abuse. Listens but doesn't solve the problem. I had the amp to two authorized repair centers in my area and talked to three more - all a waste of time. I'm glad I work on my own amps otherwise I would have been forced to return the amp.

ishtar likes this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to the world of Hifi interconnects.

ishtar and stevo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.