NMGD Schecter Omen-6 That I Covered in Fabric, aka The Blue Mambacaster

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Sep 16, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    New Modded Guitar Day. My son found a blue Schecter Omen 6 at a pawn shop last year and bought it for me, figuring I could mod it.

IMG_5990.jpeg IMG_5985.jpeg IMG_5986.jpeg

I thought about covering it in blue paisley pattern, but found this blue snakeskin fabric (the design is printed on, there's no texture.)

IMG_5988.jpeg

I used Mod Podge, which is essentially watered down Elmer's glue with some hardeners added.

IMG_5987.jpeg

Ricochet likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Covered the guitar in a layer of glue, as well as the fabric. I did the top first, then the back and finally the sides. If I could do it over, I'd do the side first as then the seams wouldn't stand out out so much, although as it is the edges look kind of like binding.

IMG_5994.jpeg IMG_5995.jpeg

After letting the glue dry over night, I applied 2-3 more coats. I cut out the cavities and trimmed the edges.

Finally I sprayed some nitrocellulose lacquer over top after sanding it reasonably smooth. The finish is very hard.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Ricochet likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    IMG_6194.jpeg IMG_6195.jpeg IMG_6196.jpeg IMG_6197.jpeg

I have to cut a better fitting cavity cover. I also lost the ferrules for the front holes when removing the tape and cutting the area clear.

I didn't cover the headstock as I was worried about the depth of the tuners.

IMG_6193.jpeg

Attached Files:

Ricochet likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The pickups are GFS Dream 180s. I've used them before. I love the clear sound, especially on the neck pickup. Retains more of the P90 sound even with humbucking. The bridge is a little thin by itself though. The neck is also louder, which just be an adjustment issue though

5. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm currently finishing up another fabric topped guitar and plan to make a fabric guitar, with an underlying minimal body, so it's mostly fabric!

6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Nice! I did a fabric top on a Streamliner. It’s a cool project. I plan on doing more of them.
    upload_2020-9-16_12-49-51.jpeg

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's cool, nice pick on the fabric, suits the guitar I think.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats! Nice job Jim.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.