NGPD : The SILVER ZEP'

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by hcsterg, Jul 21, 2021.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK Guys : I spoke about this project time to time, since it started in February 2018, and is reaching its end :cool:... Nearly 3 years and a half after its inception ! :rolleyes::oops:

So in early February 2018, I bought this used Chinese Lefty Fake Wannabee-Gretsch Tennessee-Rose-Thinline-Like, for 100 Euros, on a local craiglist, including shipment and semi-rigid bag. As is :

[​IMG]

At the first glance, it's obviously a fake, and the seller made no mystery about this. But a Lefty Thinline is a so scarce item at that cost for a project to be ignored... ;)

The Fake and The Real, side to side :

[​IMG]

After checking that the guitar was in good shape to go further, I decided to put a Bigsby B6LH and a new nut to shape, and test some pickups in the DynaSonic style.

A pair of Gretsch DynaSonic RI :

[​IMG]

I had high hopes, but they proved unconvincingo_O and very picky to adjust:mad: , so I discarded them. :(

A pair of FrankenTone Lil'Chester :

[​IMG]

In fact, I bought a set of 3 PUs, with the middle being RWRP. Even with only two, the sound was very cool :cool:, just like I expected the Dynas to be :confused:. So I adopted the set.

[​IMG]

The next step was refinishing the instrument. Impossible for me to do anything by myself properly in that field :oops: - not tooled, not the skills, not the patience - so I relied on my pro luthier friend Clément Rossat ( http://www.clementrossat-guitare.fr/ ).

Deal : "you restore my 1964 Bassman 6G6-B and I refinish your guitar". Echange de bons procédés. That's fine. :cool:

Passing in front of a local Ford Europe dealer, I saw those two Blue brand new Ford Fiesta (2018), and I asked the Service for the color references :

[​IMG]

Clément started the work...

[​IMG]

... But recently having started his business, Clément became very busy with numerous repairs, orders of custom instruments, participating to guitar exhibitions, etc... Over his expecations, so my guitar had to wait... Nearly 3 years ! La rançon du succès... (the ransom of success). ;)

[​IMG]

The COVID Isolation helped him to resorb his delay and so he could finish my instrument. I picked it up today - the Silver Zep' :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's my turn to go further : routing the neck and bridge pickups, hardware, electronics, final setup. It is planned for this summer :cool: - if everything goes as it should. o_O

So Wait and See ! ;):D

A+!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Wow those colors are great. I utter a similar phrase, "Success is its own punishment."

hcsterg and blueruins like this.
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Great choice of colors! You are an artist!

hcsterg likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I know "it's you" but your renovation threads are always great :D

hcsterg likes this.
  5. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Wow! Beautiful!

hcsterg likes this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I can hardly wait to see what happens!

hcsterg likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you, Guys ! :) You guess that I'll keep you posted... ASAP... o_O

And Thank you Clément - for that premium craftmanship... :cool::cool::cool:

A+!

Waxhead likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Wow. It makes me wanting to go on Alibaba website :)

hcsterg likes this.
  9. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    31787 Hameln Germany
    toutes mes félicitations, very beautiful two tone color. But it's your 2nd Ford Blue guitar. I wonder what's about Aspen Green?

hcsterg likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you Guys ! :)

Well yes, she probably comes from here - at the start. I don't know, because it's a used one. o_O

Aha - Aspen Green... Yes, that's true : like an idiot, I sold mine in 2017... :mad::(

[​IMG]

But maybe one day... ;)

A+!

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I often look at vehicles and say to myself " that color would look nice on a guitar " ...... And it sure does . Beautiful work from both of you . Keep us posted on this

hcsterg likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Great colour! Where is the silver?

hcsterg likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks @thunder58 ! ;)

And AFAIK, Fender, Gretsch and certainly others used automotive paints during the golden guitar era.

Well that's true, @Ricochet , it's not already here... :oops: The silver color will be represented by the hardware and the pickguard (to be designed) and maybe by some special parts...

upload_2021-7-22_16-34-19.png

A+!

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The two-color design is breathtaking. Wow.

hcsterg likes this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Colours look great sir!

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.