NGD!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mystic38, Jan 8, 2021.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

@Mystic38 - I was wondering how big the body is on the G6609? There doesn't seem to be any info on the Gretsch site but I'm assuming it's the same as a 5622?

2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    For me stringing a string through bigsby works best if I put all the strings through the bigsby first, then string them to the tuners outside to inside. If you string them one at a time then it’s hard to bend the strings into the hole on the bigsby.

great looking guit! Love that stain

3. Mystic38

Mystic38 Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Mystic, CT
    The lower bout is 16" and the body depth is 1.75" so yes i think the outline and depth is the same as the 5622, hope this helps.

new6659 likes this.
  4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    M38,

Just beautiful.

Using a short piece of 5/8'' diameter doweling, bend the ball end of the string around the dowel creating an end on your string that resembles a ''fish-hook'', making sure the eye is properly aligned.

This procedure makes it easy to set the string eye onto the pin.

Then slip the ball end of the string under the tension bar, being careful not to scratch the guitar, over the vibrato bar, setting the eye onto the pin.

Stringing is done from top to bottom, in a straight line.

With the eye end of the string ''pre-curved'', it will stay in place on the pin during the stringing process.

Hope this helps.

BIB.

DSCF1330.JPG

5. Mystic38

Mystic38 Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Mystic, CT
    thanks for the post.. though this is string through Bigsby.. funnily enough there were dozens of vids on restringing with the pins but none for string-through, and while it is obvious, i was concerned about scratching the surface.

I found that pre-bending the string end helped get through the bar, and a business card under the tension bar helped my paranoia about scratching the surface..

All well and good, a new set of 10's is on and the guitar has come to life (its a 2017 new-old stock)

Back in Black likes this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    M38,

Sorry about that, you did say ''string-though'' and I missed it.

I have not seen a string-through Bigsby, the only Bigsbys I have ever seen have the roll pins.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1279.JPG DSCF1278.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.