Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NGD!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    hey congrats, man...these are great guitars!

TSims1 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Gotta say........the Panther and the Starfire really seem to be getting along. It does a poppa's heart good.

IMG_8277.JPG

blueruins, benjwri, Waxhead and 6 others like this.
  3. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

...you sorry son cannot play both at the same time ! ;-)

TSims1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    "if you're thinking about my baby, it don't matter if you're black or white”

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Tim, do you have a problem with the string height on your Guild using the Compton?

7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Do you still have the 6121?

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    It's in a safe place. :)

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

If you are referring to me, my name is Tony. :)

Problem with string height using Compton? Nope - not at all. :)

Stefan likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That jack in the front makes me think they were going after some ES335 market. At the moment, I can't think of another Gretsch with that.

TSims1 likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I actually prefer it. It keeps the cable out of the path of destruction. I wrap the cable over and through my strap and into the input jack with a right angle cable, and it keeps everything flush and secure. Better design imo. Always preferred the Strat jack to the Tele for the same reason.

Robbie likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    BTW - I have a Starfire IV and I do have string height issues - For now, it's just right if not a tad high, so I will have to replace the frets on the next go. This is mostly because it had fairly low/wide frets before and one or two level/crown/polish jobs prior to me. And I just did one myself two weekends ago. I think I'll go with jumbo EVO frets next time. Will install myself.

TSims1 likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yes, this is my thought as well. My poor Guild is the victim of a strap failure (guitar fell to the floor and the straight plug cracked the side strip out) and has had a repair. And the guy didn't do what I asked when he repaired it! Grrrr...can't unring that bell either. All that to say, the front jack is a good idea.

TSims1 likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I also use a v-stand for my guitar(you know the ones, just a "v" for the base and no support up the back)on Sundays for my worship gig and it's an act sometimes sliding a side-load cable jacked guitar into that type of low profile stand. Top loader? No issue. I'm a fan.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Weird........mine is literally absolutely perfect. Like, perfect. I can get it so low you couldn't fit a whisper underneath and it plays amazing......

16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Mine will be more than perfect when I re-fret it. Those puppies have seen a few files in their day.

17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The strap knobs of the Panther being designed for strap locks are even better ;)

In comparison the standard Gretsch strap knobs on my Falcon are a pure pain.

18. LA Miles

LA Miles Synchromatic

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Guess that makes my decision easier ;)

TSims1 likes this.
  19. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If you're going to have 2 girlfriends it's best that they get along.........

Robbie likes this.
  20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I like them better too. I have the old fashioned ones on my Tennessee Rose and I don't mind them, but I'm always tightening them. Better than mushroom strap buttons, but not better than strap lock buttons.

21. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Actually the Panther comes with both parts of the Schaller strap lock system, the strap button and the lock that goes on the strap

Aymara and TSims1 like this.