NGD!! You GOTTA watch this.

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by TSims1, Oct 28, 2020.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Oh wow.....ha! Thanks! :)

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  3. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    guitars meh you know, guitarists meh i am one but, i could listen to that piano playing all night sitting by the fire with some bourbon just talking about some times

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yeah man, I love the piano. I dug it more than guitar for lot of years as a kid. Still feels like home every time I sit down at the 88s.

SWoody and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for the review, Tony. It is a great time to buy guitar gear.

TSims1 likes this.
  6. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Great review, sounds good.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I can't even get guitars garden to load.... I wonder if Firefly has any jazzboxes?

8. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    The height of the Firefly 335 style craziness was over a year ago. Most buy them from Amazon. They evolved with a change from the original Mickey Mouse ears to the current style you show. I looked for the originals but they were going for 2 - 3 times the $159 ask. So I ended up with a Grote. Has a nice chunky neck. 1-11/16" at the nut and .90" thickness at the first fret. Installed Locking tuners, GraphTech Tusq Nut, GFS Mean 90 pups, Roller Bridge, Towner Bar and B6 Bigsby. If I ever sell it I will have to part it out. But I have no intention of ever getting rid of this. Ever.

GroteJazz 335.JPG

GOOBALL JEFF and Tadhg like this.
  9. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Cheap guitars are sooooo tempting. I‘m thinking of a Harley Benton LP junior, unsure which one:
    51A111B6-70D7-4E3A-9C7C-89428358BEB2.jpeg
    The classic DC...
    B60C7F60-6B6A-448B-834C-452C07AA2FDD.jpeg
    Fat neck, open pore coating, ebony(!) fretboard
    3E0F7D15-DEC8-492B-9074-8D9EEA36D469.jpeg
    The lovely SC junior...
    All versions are mahagony body/mahogony neck. Very good reviews and around 200€!

Trash Kidd and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    so essentially at street your upgrades cost 300 more, haha :)

TSims1 likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ?

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yeah, he went AT it didn’t he? Lol

I just added my costs up. Guitar with shipping was $201. Bridge was $18.99, tuners were $26.99.
    Grand total = $245.98

I think he’s talking about Mark W above.

TV the Wired Turtle and Stefan like this.
  14. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    yeah they are beautiful guitars with a tiny tweak. i honestly don't feel the need for a gibo with this thing it feels great, i get the right es 335 vibe from it. thumbnail_IMG_8428.jpg

Mark W, T Bone and jfassett like this.
  15. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I have owned three harley bentons now and personally I think they feel lifeless and super heavy like dead wood, this tele was the heaviest thing I have tried to lift in my entire life i think. SAM_0644.JPG

16. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Those Juniors are in the 3 kg range and got great reviews!

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I didnt think you'd put a pot metal bridge on it, and real tuners cost a good $75.. and labor gets billed at $35-50 an hr.
    ps. I bought one DAMN you, should be here end of week.

giffenf, T Bone, Stefan and 2 others like this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

LOL!!

It doesn’t make sense to me to spend real money on a cheap guitar. The bridge I got works fine and has no rattle, so objective met. And the Wilkerson tuners are actually fantastic. No regrets.

I’ll be interested to see if yours is as good as mine, or if I got lucky. If yours is cool(which may indicate consistency)then I’ll likely swipe another one from them.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Yes, but did it come with a case? :D

Lol, congrats Tony, sounds like an amazing deal. Man I remember the starter guitars we used to buy in the 60s/ early 70s. This looks so much better and a tiny fraction of the cost when adjusted for time.

Of course your playing could sell a plank strung with chicken wire. Well done, great sound (and the piano clip above was cool too). I may now have to look for a red one of these (been contemplating a red 335, maybe this will scratch the itch for thousands less?).

TSims1 likes this.
  20. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I think it’s great that there are decent quality affordable guitars out there now for the kids or beginners on a budget. Back in the day, the cheap guitars really were not sufficiently playable which might lead a beginner to give up on the instrument. Long gone are the days when the Gibson model number was also the price of the guitar!

Another moderately priced imported guitar line, more like the $500 range, are the All In One store Wolf guitars, I don’t have any personal experience with them, but the favorable reviews online have piqued my interest. I kind of like the looks of their PRS semi hollow clones. Their 335 clones tend to sell out quickly also, heck even the budget 335 clones cost more than $335 now a days!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.