NGD - Yes I did.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Hi gang.

Please forgive me if this tale goes on, but I figure we are all Gretsch fans and we all enjoy each others purchases. Plus..this ones special (aren't they all).

So as you may have read in another thread, last week I'm about to set off on holiday and for no reason, other than boredom, I do a search of guitar stores along the route.

One such store listed a Masterbuilt (Stephen Stern) G6128 59' Jet in aged Daphne Blue. I've always considered Stern to be the crème de la crème of masterbuilders. Based on zero actual experience, but lots of reading, Gretsch-Talk and YouTube. I know...I'm easily convinced. But either way his are the only guitars I've considered dropping serious cash on, yet I've never even seriously looked. The other thing to note is I am a Jet man. I'm not into hollows, heck I'm not even into Penguins. I can admire them, and I do, but I'm not interested in owning them. The simple Jet style does it for me (V Cut Bigsbys only please).

So I saw that I was going within 2 miles of the guitar store driving home. I post the guitar here "Oh...wow". A lot of you say "do it" (I thank you all)...some say "waaay to much for a guitar, it's not worth it" (I respect you all). So I ponder all week whilst on the Beach. I decide i'm going to check it out, but by travel home day I'd kind of talked myself out of getting it, primarily because I wasn't convinced by the colour...and it's too much money not to be convinced, even by just colour. I consider not bothering to check it out at all. But my wife says "let's at least look, it's your birthday (50) and it'd make the week even more special"

So we went.

I walked in the store and saw it hanging up. Instantly the colour worries went. In person I think it's closer to Sonic blue, and it looks stunning. It's aged, but it looks brand new, it's only when you are right up close can you see it's finish checking. Move 12 inches or more away and it looks brand new. Think pristine closet classic and you get the idea.

I talk to the guy and he tells me they spec'ed it because they thought it was a guitar they'd love to own, rather than thinking it would be an easy sell. They had ordered it two/three years ago and it came in two weeks ago. They tell me Stephen liked the specs, and colour, and thought it was a cool build, so wanted to do it himself (this could be BS but it's cool to think it might be true).

Anyway, I plugged into a clean Fender amp, touch of 'verb....and oh wow. Firstly the fingerboard and fretwork is just perfect. Everywhere. Low, but playable, slick board, felt played in, and it felt like it helped me play. Even my wife's standing there telling me she's never heard me play so good (sadly she rarely listens so as much as I love her, her musical critique is nice, but hardly a peer review). But I felt like I was just breezing around, it was like the guitar was actually encouraging me to pull off all kinds of stuff. If I thought it, I played it, and effortlessly. We wigged out with some solo'ing, arpeggio'd like a maestro and cowboy chorded like I was in Nashville (not Exeter).

I played and played and just fell in love. I can't really describe it. I've had Electromatics, loved them, I have a (now to be sold) MIJ PowerJet, which is superb. But this is different, not a little different, but a lot different. I can't quantify it, but I was shocked by just how much better it was than guitars I already know to be great. It's supple, it's articulate, it's inspiring, it stands back and let's you do your thing. Nothing seems difficult when playing it.

It is a thing, made by a craftsman, with love, care and incredible attention to detail. Whatever Stephen does translates from his workbench into the instrument and then into the player. He is crafting instruments that are not only works of art, but are made to inspire the player to achieve things they didn't know they could.

I put it down, spoke to guy, negotiated a price (considerably less than I was prepared to pay - which was nice). And then it came home.

Regrets - Zero. No children will go without schoolbooks, no mortgage will go unpaid, no bank balance was harmed in the purchase. It's not going to stay in the case, it'll be a daily player, like the others (if anything else ever gets a look in again).

I'm lucky, I know that. I thank you all for the Grestchspiration you have provided over the years that got me here.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

20220702_201827.jpg 20220702_201843.jpg 20220702_201925.jpg 20220702_202045.jpg 20220702_202109.jpg 20220702_202140.jpg 20220702_202150.jpg 20220702_202209.jpg 20220702_202534.jpg 20220702_202826.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky Jim

Gretschie
Oct 16, 2020
Kent, England
That looks absolutely gorgeous Mr S! Congrats 👍

Can you give us a few specifics? - e.g. guitar weight, how even the taper of the four controls is, neck profile. Are the pickups TV Jones Classics or Ray Butts? Anything else that paints the full picture for the guitar nerds (that’s me) 😊

PS I’m not into relics but the ageing on that guitar is so incredibly well done.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
That looks absolutely gorgeous Mr S! Congrats 👍

Can you give us a few specifics? - e.g. guitar weight, how even the taper of the four controls is, neck profile. Are the pickups TV Jones Classics or Ray Butts? Anything else that paints the full picture for the guitar nerds (that’s me) 😊

PS I’m not into relics but the ageing on that guitar is so incredibly well done.

Interestingly...unlike a Fender CS their is no traveler but these are the details from the store website who spec'ed it.

Gretsch G6128T 59 USA Custom Shop, Aged Daphne Blue
SN: UC22032279
Weight: 7lbs 7.5oz
Gretsch G6128T 59 CS Aged Daphne Blue
Model 9252003750
BASE MODEL Duo Jet - 1959 SCALE 24.6"
COLOR (TOP) Daphne Blue
COLOR (BACK SIDES) Natural
AGING TYPE Distressed
BODY STYLE Single Cutaway Duo Jet / Penguin
TOP Standard Maple
BACK Mahogany
SIDES Mahogany
BINDING Standard for model
NECK WOOD Mahogany
NECK SHAPE Standard U Neck Shape
FRETBOARD WOOD Rosewood 12" Radius
NUT Bone
FRETS Medium Jumbo
FRETBOARD INLAY MATERIAL Mother Of Pearl
FRETBOARD INLAY STYLE Neo Classic Thumbnail
SIDE DOT COLOR Black Side Dots
HEADSTOCK LOGO 54 Duo Jet Script Logo
HEADSTOCK LOGO MATERIAL Mother Of Pearl
NECK PICKUP TV Jones Classic
BRIDGE PICKUP TV Jones Classic
WIRING 1 Tone Pot - Master Vol, Neck Vol, Bridge Vol, P/U Selector Switch and Tone Control
TUNERS Gotoh Vintage Style
PICKGUARD MATERIAL Black Pickguard
PICKGUARD ENGRAVING Gretsch Logo Only
KNOBS Jeweled G Arrow
STRAP BUTTONS Standard
BRIDGE Bigsby
TAILPIECE Bigsby
HARDWARE Nickel
INCLUDES Hard Case

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Well sir, your description says it all. A true winner! The fact that you got it at a better price than you were willing to pay is just the icing.

It is gorgeous, and I agree the the aging is very well done. Congrats on finding one that fits you so well. And happy B'day

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Happy birthday to you!

Now, mark your calendar now, for when is your wife’s birthday, don’t forget!

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Congats and happy birthday, seriously cool that you ended up going to have a look, i would love to try a CS jet.

Like others have said the best thing about it is that you are going to play it, so enjoy it.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Really cool guitar!!
How does it compare to a japanese jet?

Well I went Straight for my MIJ Jet when I got in. It's still a Great guitar, but the feeling I have now is similar to that when I went from Electromatic to Proline.

It's only my opinion, and of course their could be subconscious bias, having just dropped big money on it. But right now it feels like a sizeable gap. Albeit from great guitar to incredible guitar. Which is good, because it's made the decision to sell the MIJ easy. It's simply not going to get played again.