NGD... (well, *soon* with Black Friday shipping, etc..)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Butch Ammon, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I was that website called Sweetwater and found a beautiful gloss black, brand new 2021, Fender Player Stratocaster... I've demoed them in Guitar Center and can't believe the quality. The one in GC was some strange looking yellowish color, but it played like a dream!

Anyway, check it out. For all you fellow RUSH fans, check out the beginning serial#: MX2112.... LOL!! :D

2112.Strat.jpg

2. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Congratulations!
    It’s a great high-usage axe for me.
    After about six months, I swapped out the stock pickups for TV Jones Starwood, HSS configuration.
    Enjoy!

Butch Ammon likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Fender produces some very good quality guitars at great prices. The player series is a beautiful looking line …Congratulations

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  4. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Congrats!

Butch Ammon likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hope you don't have to wait too long.

What "H" are you using?

Butch Ammon likes this.
  6. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca

4324579B-3200-4556-A4D9-1920979DDE5B.jpeg

Henry and Butch Ammon like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is that a Starwood strat single coil in an H mount? I am curious.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Butch!

Butch Ammon likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    That’ll be a great guitar. The Mexican Fender built stuff is excellent across the board. I LOVE a classic black Strat. One of my main guitars is a black Strat. Enjoy!!

Butch Ammon likes this.
  10. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks, everyone.... I am excited and can't wait for FedEx to deliver my new 2021 Strat! :D

My old '95 MIM Strat was from the original "Standard" version back then, and had 21 frets, and is still a heck of a guitar (a serious step up from the imported Squier models). It just has major fret wear and intonation/tuning issues. Instead tearing it apart, using it for parts, etc... I am hanging onto it just as it is. I have since retuned it to Open G, and will make it a dedicated slide guitar. I just need to grab my tiny allen wrench and raise the bridge saddles a few tweaks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Craig Encinitas likes this.
  11. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    IMG_20191214_142657_561.jpg
    I bought one 3 years ago and it gets more playtime than any other guitar I own.

I did swap the pickups and put locking tuners, but as a choice not because it needed them.

Enjoy yours!

Archtops, thunder58, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Butch, that should be a great player. Great looking also.

I've got a 92/93 black player myself.

Butch Ammon likes this.
  13. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks.... I just took my '95 Sunburst finish MIM Standard Strat, retuned it into "Open G" (i.e. Keith Richards), and then took the tiny allen wrench to the bridge saddles, and raised them all up a hair. My old Strat will now be a dedicated slide guitar in Open G, since the frets are so worn....

For all you military veterans out there... Yes, that is one of my spare First Class Petty Officer (E-6) collar device chevrons from my career in the US Coast Guard. I stuck on my guitar strap after I retired. :cool:

20211125_100044[1].jpg

14. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Update.... Well, no '21 Player Stratocaster (...yet). :mad:

Sweetwater uses FedEx for shipping, and you, me, and everyone, knows that FedEx SUCKS as far as a shipping company goes! :mad:

Word to the wise -- if you ever order a new Gretsch or Strat or an amp or whatever from Sweetwater, ZZounds, Musician's Friend, etc... make sure they DON'T use FedEx to ship it to you! It will take days and days and days, regardless if they say "2-day Express" :mad:

Latest word is my new Strat will be delivered <expletive> MONDAY, and I'll be at work!!
    (W)hiskey (T)ango (F)oxtrot, you know what I mean? I called the main 1-800 number and went off on a customer service rep! I told them I drive a school bus, and only have a brief "window of opportunity" after my morning bus run, and before I have to go back in the afternoon. I will be home from this time to that time. After that, I'm screwed, and you all will return the package on me! Oooooo, my temper got the best of me, and I ripped FedEx a new one!!! :mad:

15. kdm1218

kdm1218 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2021
    TX
    If you knew they used fedex and you have issue with that but forgot to request something different, seems like it’s a bit overboard to gripe out some CS rep who had nothing to do with it.

Do you have a FedEx/Kinkos store or a depot anywhere near you? If you make a FedEx or My FedEx or whatever they call their accounts, you can re-route it to hold there and pickup during their hours.

Craig Encinitas and Butch Ammon like this.
  16. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks... It's all good.

My older sister is retired from FedEx, and she helped straightened it out for me with some of her "work peeps" who are still there. FedEx has a major, corporate "Hub" in Memphis, with outlying secondary Hubs all throughout the US.

Getting to the point: My '21 Player Strat is still in Indianapolis (plane was "grounded" due to bad weather), and will be here first thing Monday, and delivered when I am home from my school bus in the AM.

Whew... :oops:

Edit: My sister DID say that FedEx has seriously changed since she last worked there. They used to be top notch, do anything to get a package delivered on time. Nowadays, it's like they don't give a <expletive> anymore... :(

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Brother Butch , as I do understand your <exletive > frustrations in this thread , but lets remember " where we are " as we drink the (W)hiskey and dance to the (T)ango and (F)oxtrot ......... on a better note , .... as @kdm1218 mentioned above , having a delivery made to a store such as Kinkos is a great option . I too have that crazy busy schedule and I once had a guitar from SweetWater delivered to my local Walgreens . A great option IMO . Can't wait for the NGD thread my brother :) / G \

Butch Ammon likes this.
  18. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Just arrived 11/29 @ 12:30pm, just in the nick of time, before I have to get to my school bus! Check it out!! It's amazing!!! I have to let it sit here in my music room, and get back to "room temperature" before I tune it and play it. Stay tuned!! :D

thunder58 and Trash Kidd like this.
  19. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Update and (Part 2 of 2).... Sweetwater is one hell of a company, if I can say that! The below video is me (after I got home late this afternoon, after my school bus runs, fed my dog, etc...) and the new black Fender Player Strat has had a chance to acclimate to room temperature, breathe, etc.. since it's been packed in a massive shipping box all this time, etc...

Anyway, I tuned it up, checked it all over again, and it is absolutely perfect! It is what is known as Eric Clapton's famous Strat called "Blackie", but yet the inexpensive version, made in Mexico.

Below in the YouTube video, I go through a few of the pickup settings on clean, and then get more grittier with a mild gain channel setting. What an amazing guitar! That online guitar company called Sweetwater did me right! Wow.... :D

20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the new Strat, Butch. Looks good and sounds great. Enjoy!

Butch Ammon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.