NGD...well more like NGM+ - Let’s just say I’ve been busy.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YaDaddy, Sep 19, 2020.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Time to play catch up. Looks like a busy airport down there with all the Jets.

6BB998E2-DC4C-440E-B027-F83D2BA5ABFE.jpeg

If you had told me that since my last NGD post, here, I would be up 7 guitars by this time I woulda said something like “Really? Hunh, that many. Wow.” It certainly wasn’t the plan, but fiddle deals just kept dropping in my lap. Some better than others. Here’s the break down Left to right, back to front. (They’re all in excellent to new condition.)

G5439 Silver Sparkle: Finally made peace with this particular model and it has an interesting story that I hope to tell as “A Gretsch Guitar Story” in the near future. Got this one as a GC used deal off of their website for an OK price.

G5420T Fairlane Blue: cuz well...I want to be a member here right, so I had to have one. Screamin’ Labor Day weekend deal from a local GC that I just happened to be at. New guitar on closeout and it’s still a mystery why.

G5434 Two-Tone Sunburst: The original Pro Jet model. Been on the list for a while. Oooh I love this one! Going through refurbishing and currently waiting for a tone pot fix. This is the current number one in the herd. Got it at a kinda high fair price. Found on Facebook in a neighboring state. This one has an interesting acquisition story too.

CME Broadway Jade Double Jet FSR: Oh good lord another double jet and I don’t even like double jets. Wish I didn’t have 4 of them now. Well, at least it has a hard tail and my word that color! The paint finish is magical and the only reason it’s around. May not last long. It’s flirting with the chopping block. Got it used from a small dealer over the web for an ok price. I would’ve preferred to have scored it for 50 bucks less. It was the first used one in like new condition I could find after CME sold out.

G5227 Astra Blue Burst FSR: Got it from the GC website during the labor day weekend deal. Got it just to check it out and thought I would return it after documenting it for the forum here, but it’s a brilliant EJ. The lighter brown Fretboard wood is the only thing keeping it from instantly nabbing the number one spot in the herd. I should really return it, which is still an option, but I really like it and I’m going to see if I can sort out it’s shortcoming. Paid full retail price for this one. Forking out full retail price (instead of waiting to find it lightly used for sub 400 bucks) isn’t really my MOD, but it’s only a few dollars a month for four years. I’ll barely feel it.

G5220 Jade Grey: Facebook is trouble for guitars, man. I gotta stop looking. I saw this one and it was local, so I contacted the owner, who was a fellow Gretsch fanatic and was invited out to take a look. I thought I would just go out and take a look and visit with another Gretsch fan and see his collection. I made an offer that worked for me and he bit, so this one followed me home. If I had known the next one was coming up I would’ve passed on it and I still may move it on at some point in the near future.

G5220 Firestick Red: This was actually an eBay deal for a Dark Cherry Metallic version, but when it got it here it was Firestick Red. I toyed with returning it, but it’s a special one with an unusually dark fretboard. I would probably get one of these Firestick Reds one day anyway, but the odds of finding one with a neck like this are really long, so I had to keep it. Came with a gig bag for the lowest price on the web (at the time) for a dark cherry metallic. At this point I’m really glad it went down the way it did. This one is a keeper and could vie for the number one spot.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    That Astra blue burst and the Jade grey look amazing.

What an incredible new collection. You have some serious guitar playing time to find!

3. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Nice collection you got there.
    Give them all equal playing time so they don't get jealous.

4. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah that amazing look is the only reason they’re still around to make the photo shoot.

I’m thinking maybe you’re talking about the Broadway Jade double Jet instead of the Jade Grey 5220. It’s the same story either way.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Mr Swisher likes this.
  5. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Unfortunately I don’t get much playing time, so jealousy is rampant in my collection. Actually, serious neglect is rampant in my collection. None of them have much to be jealous of.

6. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    That's the problem with having so many guitars. At one point I had 8 electrics and 2 acoustics. I went on my tone quest and realized semi-hollows and hollowbodies are for me. Now I have 2 full size hollowbodies, 1 thin hollowbody in a Guild Starfire II, and three semi-hollows. I keep the Epi Swingster tuned to Open G for slide. They all sound great and are nice to play. Different pickup types give me loads of versatility for recording and playing through my amps. They're all keepers for sure. Do I want another guitar, as in another Gretsch? Of course. Do I really need another guitar? Not really but yes at the same time.
    I don't want the collection to grow out of hand. If I bought another Gretsch I would have to part ways with one of my guitars. Set my max limit to 6. That seems to be the sweet spot of sanity for me.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  7. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Yes, I'd say you got one of the last walnut fret boards as I did. I believe they are all going laurel on the newer models.
    Very nice!

8. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    I hear you. Back in my on stage playing days I had 13 guitars and realized some I had just for the color. I decided I would only own black guitars and I got it down to around 6. The thing for me now is the hunt, fix up and customization. That’s what I can do while I’m doing other things that aren’t optional. That pursuit keeps me sane. As long as I get them cheap enough to get my money back or make a little when I sell it’s all good. I think of it as a bank. Since getting back into the guitar game I have yet to lose money on a guitar sale. Actually made quite a bit on a few. I have another hobby like this too and whenever I need money I can just go to it and turn just about anything in the collection into more money than I spent on it.

So far my experience is that once you have a couple there ain’t too much about Gretsch that is necessary. It’s all about want and that shiny thing you don’t have. They know that too and probably wouldn’t be in business if it weren’t for all the variety that they produce and folks like us here at the forum.

9. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah I was guessing that this March 2020 production was transitional and it got a black walnut fret board like the earlier 5220s all have. It’s the only one I’ve seen like this and I’ve been in the presence, locally, of four other fire stick red 5220s. They all have nice, but very light laurel wood on the fretboard. The Laurel actually works quite well with the color ensemble on the Firestick Red, but the black walnut really pops on mine, making it kinda special. It’s a real winner and I’m lucky to have it. It definitely needed to be rescued from the total jack hole that had it.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    All great guitars, but I think the blueburst is my favorite. Congrats on your great collection.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, nice family. Love the blue burst!

12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Electromatic

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    I'm going to be particularly interested in your discussion of that G5439. I've got the Bigsby version and it seems to be a very uncommon guitar. I really, really (really) like mine. I'm still trying to decide whether to change pickups, since I have a G5420T that I enjoy. In fact, it's the same Fairlane Blue as yours.

That G5227 blue burst is crazy beautiful. If I recall, your blue burst has Broadtrons and your 5439 has Filtertrons... how different do they sound to you, and do the two guitars feel different?

Anyway, your Gretsch family photo is great, gives me GAS, and is something I'm sure you'll enjoy for a long time!

13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on all the new equipment. Enjoy playing them.

14. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    The impending G5439 “discussion” is more of an interesting tale about the get.

Well of course you have a Fairlane Blue 5420. You’re a member here aren’t you?

Yeah the 5227 has BTs. It’s just a slightly heavy 5220 in different clothes and it sounds the same as my other examples. 5220s fit me to a T. I love them. If I had had back in my performing days it’s all I would have taken on stage. In three colors of course.

Compared to the 2012-2018 Pro Jets like the 5439 hard tail the 5220s feel a bit longer and leaner. On average a hair lighter, too. The V tail has a subtle effect on the feel you get at the heel of your palm resting on the bridge. Of course the BTs have more presence in the mids to mid low range and the FTs have more jangle.

15. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Nice collection YaD!

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool septuplet!

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.