NGD - Uniting the Speyside Twins

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by sgarnett, Nov 21, 2021.

1. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Andrew Griffin see my comparison comments above. I’ve never played anything with Super Hilos though.

I’m planning to sell more stuff soon (now that the renovations are ramping up), but plan to keep both of the Speysides.

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Andrew Griffin my take:
    I love the dynamic expressiveness of the P90s, and they are a limited run for GC/MF. How many will they make? Who knows? Could be gone by Christmas, or hanging around for years.

OTOH, the P90s hum, even in the center position, and I do like the regular Blacktop Broad’trons also.

You already tried the G562T-P90 and loved it. That may be all the answer you need. If you can live with the hum, I’d say go with the 5627. If you change your mind a year from now, it will probably be easier to trade the 5627 for a 5622 than vice versa.

I love both - there really isn’t a wrong answer.

Like I mentioned, the P90s do love El Pescy!

3. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    My favorite Gretsch color of recent! Very nice!

sgarnett likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Beautiful guitars!

I love that G5627! P-90s are close to the top of my list of favorite pickups (Dynasonics may be my favorites).
    I own the Streamliner equivalent, the G2622T P-90 and would love to upgrade to the 56 series.

I consider mine to be an ES-330 clone, for rock, R&R and blues. P-90s are not for classic Gretsch twang, they are for overdriven bark and growl. JMO.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    sgarnett likes this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Randy99CL does your 2622 have the soap bar or staple P90s?

6. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I like the P90s clean too, but I agree they have a great bark.

I have a 6120 Smoke with Ray Butts pickups, so Gretsch twang is covered, :D

Really though, I find the middle position of all three guitars to be very versatile. I often use the neck volume as a bass cut, the bridge volume as a treble cut, and the treble bleed master volume to clean it up a bit. One of these days, I may rewire the 2420 to work the same way (if I don’t sell it instead).

7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Gretsch G2622 P-90 $599 2.jpg
    This was a GC/MF Limited Edition (Phantom Metallic color) a couple of years ago. They were a MF SDOTD and I suspect I got the last good one 17 months ago, found it hanging up high in my local GC untouched.
    I couldn't resist later upgrading to the chrome arrow knobs and I might try some black pickup covers one day, I don't think the cream goes well with the metallic finish.

Edit: and if someone wants one of these, they still list a gorgeous Candy Apple Red on the website for $600. It's been in production for a few years, as mine was.
    Streamliner Collection :: G2622TG-P90 Limited Edition Streamliner™ Center Block P90 with Bigsby® and Gold Hardware, Laurel Fingerboard, Candy Apple Red (gretschguitars.com)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    sgarnett likes this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Randy99CL Nice! I saw one of those Candy Apple P90 models a year or so ago, but when I went back for it ....

Randy99CL likes this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And I just looked and GC is showing that Phantom Metallic model again, for $600. Must have gotten a new shipment or maybe found some in the warehouse. If someone calls to order one they should ask if they have any new ones.

sgarnett likes this.
  10. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! They go and name a finish after my favorite scotch and expect me not to buy one? Well it hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened at some point. The P-90 version is just screamin' my name, even if I didn't like them, I could get some Lollar Staples, some soapbar T-Armonds, or any number of different pups to put in there. I just sold my Eastman t64/v not long ago, it was a fine guitar, but it didn't get much play, and a 6120CGP showed up used and made a beeline for my house.

Enjoy!

sgarnett likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gorgeous guitars!

sgarnett likes this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    The Speysides are beautiful! Thanks for giving us a look.

sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.