NGD - Uniting the Speyside Twins

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by sgarnett, Nov 21, 2021.

1. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    In May, I think, I traded for the new Speyside G5622T on the right. Six months later, I just traded for the new Speyside G5627T-P90 Limited on the left. Well actually, because the sale price was better than the trade in discount, I sold my stuff outright, then bought the guitar outright, all in the same visit. ;)

My first taste of both hollow bodies and P90s was my late father’s Gibson ES-125TDC. He sold it in the late 70s or early 80s when money was tight. P90s have been on my mind for years, but I never actually owned any until now. Very tasty!

It’s a cold, wet, nasty day out, so this is the best I could do. Even with a roof over the deck, I had to set up the shot quick, then wipe off the mist. 2668BF25-F3A3-4076-9906-7D033738FB33.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, looks like a great combination. Enjoy them, and keep them dry.:D:D

sgarnett likes this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Those are beauties. Even on a grey rainy day. Congrats

sgarnett likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's a nice dang pair!

sgarnett likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful

sgarnett likes this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Gotta say: P90s and my “warm beer” El Pescadero go together like … pizza and beer.

7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Fixed the blurry picture. I had accidentally used the thumbnail.

8. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    wow, both look awesome, hard to say which one I prefer...
    Maybe the P90 because its not standard. Love the speyside color!

9. Very nice. I saw the p90 one at a guitar center recently, but it was too high up the rack to play and time was limited. I didnt know it was hollow. Thought it had the center block. Perhaps I shook old have taken the time.

10. mapotofu

mapotofu Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Beautiful pair of guitars @sgarnett ! Speyside is such a great finish. I just picked up a G5627T-P90 myself. Can you please compare the tonal difference between the P90s and Broadtrons?

sgarnett likes this.
  11. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Congrats! I'm in love with my g5627t-p90.

sgarnett likes this.
  12. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @mapotofu Well first, the Blacktop Broad’trons (BTBT) in the 5622 are not the same as Streamliner Broad’trons (BT, which I own) or the Electromatic Blacktop Filter’trons (BTFT, which I don’t own and can’t comment on).

I have had very little time with the P90s, and I’m going to be on the road for a few days, so these are just quick observations. Two cents would be charitable.

First of all, I thought the BTs were too close to PAFs until I removed half of the pole screws as discussed by many here.

Not so with the 5622 BTBTs. They are still humbucking, but more versatile than PAFs or unmodified BTs IMHO. They clean up better than a PAF, with more sparkle and less compression.

The P90s seem even less compressed. They seem to easily go both more clean and sparkly and more smoky than the BTBTs. In the middle position, with the neck volume rolled off just a smidge, I can get a bit of Strat quack. Not that it would fool a Strat player, but enough to play a song that needs it (or as close as my fingers can get).

Of course, the P90s are more noisy, and there doesn’t seem to be any RWRP hum cancellation in the middle position. I measured 8.12K for the neck and 8.25K for the bridge. That’s in the guitar, so they could be identical pickups, but I haven’t pulled them to check. The BTBTs are similarly close, but I haven’t pulled them either. Neither set has wider poles at the bridge.

I find it easier to dial in the guitar and amp settings with the P90s, but the BTBTs are more quiet. I like both. I thought about it for a week or so before checking out the 5627, because the 5622 is what I’ve been playing most this year and it really isn’t lacking in any way (the “what would I want that it doesn’t already do” test). I certainly don’t need both, but I’ve been nostalgic for those P90s for around four decades.

Besides, I traded two guitars I wasn’t playing for the 5627, which was a net reduction in cubic feet of guitars. :D

Andrew Griffin and mapotofu like this.
  13. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    It's not hollow. It has a center block.

14. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Yes, sorry if I confused anyone. To me, arch tops with center block, chambered center block, hollow with trestle bracing, hollow with sound post, and hollow with tone bars or X-bracing are just points on a continuum. Granted, my Gibson Lucille with its maple center block and no f-holes comes mighty close being solid, but the 562x has a lot more “air”, so to speak.

GlenP likes this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That speyside finish is my new favorite, I must have one!

Those both look great, the center blocks can really rock.

Andrew Griffin and sgarnett like this.
  16. I learn again.

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats, those look great!

sgarnett likes this.
  18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    When did Gretsch start chambering the center block?

19. mapotofu

mapotofu Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    Chicago
    In the 5622, I think it was when they switched from the 3 pickup, cateye hole model to the 2 pickup, traditional f hole model. I remember comparing the two and thre 2 pickup model was substantially and consistently lighter due to the chambered spruce center block.

sgarnett likes this.
  20. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Beautiful picture. I've been jonesing for the model with the P-90s and I'd love to hear you compare the two. I've got the G5622 with the Electromatic take on the hilotrons. I like it and I'm still figuring its voice out, but I tried one of these P90 Speysides in the store and was wowed.

sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.