NGD - The Rooster Has Landed

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by giffenf, Sep 24, 2021.

1. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you're reading this, and we're Facebook friends, this may be repetitious. If so, sorry.

The first time I met Barry Grzebik from Grez Guitars, he let me try out a whole bunch of his instruments, and I promised I’d order one from him someday. But it never quite happened. And heck, Grez guitars are played by people like Tommy Harkenrider and Rodney Gene Junior, and I’m not in their league (though I’ve always felt if I could play better, OK, a LOT better, I’d sound like Tommy), so I figured it just wasn’t meant to be.

But anyway, a used Grez came up for sale right here on Gretsch-Talk, and I expressed interest, but it wasn’t quite what I wanted. So Tavo saw that and said “Hey. I’ve got this guitar I designed, and you said you wanted a Grez? Well Barry is the builder, whaddya think? It’s called the Rooster.”

It didn’t take long to decide this was an outstanding idea. After hearing his approach to the design and what he wanted it to be, well that lined up real nicely with what I’d like in a custom guitar, and so I ordered a Rooster for my very own.

It took a little while, but I picked it up on Tuesday, and since then, it’s been hard to put down. A comfortable, yet sufficiently twangy 25” scale, TV Jones Roostertron pickups (with stealth out-of-phase push-pull switch on the volume knob), 300-year-old solid sinker redwood top finished in a red-and-black (my school colors) burst, chambered semi-hollow mahogany body (very chambered, so it’s very lightweight), ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, Tru Arc Serpentune stainless steel bridge, a B3 Bigsby (thereby qualifying it as a real guitar), Sperzel locking tuners with ivoroid knobs, and of course, a jack plate for safety.

I ordered another custom strap with my initials (in the correct fonts) for it so it looks like it’s really mine. It got a tryout at Esquires rehearsal on Tuesday night, and did nicely. If all goes well, it’ll see its first gig on Saturday. WiFi permitting, I might just have to live-stream that. Thank you Tavo! Demo video coming whenever I can make the time for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ctbillsfan, Wavey, MIke M and 38 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar . Congratulations to both of you

giffenf likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Very cool! Congratulations.

giffenf likes this.
  4. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Amazing. My favorite chambered guitar at the moment.

giffenf likes this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Congratulations beautiful guitar

giffenf likes this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats and HNGD. Nice story.

giffenf likes this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    You’ve definitely have something to crow about. Love the color! Congratulations!

Merc, giffenf and GlenP like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Frank,classy geet sir!

giffenf likes this.
  9. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Yeah, yeah, more GAS. Whatever.

Seriously? You scored! That's a beautiful guitar!

giffenf likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats! Were you up here in Petaluma? Barry is literally around the corner from me.

giffenf likes this.
  11. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No, @Henry. Petaluma is lovely, but I haven't been there in some time. The way it works with a Nocturne guitar is you go through the spec/design/costing/order/payment stuff with Tavo, he gives the instructions to Barry, Barry sends the guitar to Tavo, Tavo makes the final QA and any tweaks he feels it needs to Nocturnify it, and then he sends it to you. Or in my case, then I sneak out of work and drive south, meet him in Encinitas, and we hang out in a coffee house getting to know the guitar. That last part was way more fun than working.

oneforsorrow, gtttrrr, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a stunner! Sounds like a great time off work too.

I don’t recall, are these nitro or poly finished?

13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Absolutely Gorgeous, thank you for sharing your new guitar. I agree that Barry's work is superb.

14. That looks cool, are ya gonna leave it without a pickguard?
    It would be hard to drill into it.

15. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This, and I believe ever guitar Barry makes, is nitro.

Merc likes this.
  16. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Nothing but the best then. I would love to have one someday. How would you describe the neck carve (C, D, etc)?

17. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    That is sweet ....Congrats! Please post a bit of playing when you get the chance. Have fun!

18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  19. coolrene

coolrene Electromatic

Apr 17, 2021
    France
    Reminds of the old Guilds w/deArmonds: nice !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.