NGD...tell me what I got!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mrcoffee23, Feb 13, 2020.

1. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    So the Space Control bridge...really only capable of approximate/vague intonation, huh? Or am I missing something?

2. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Funny story. I was in the GC and asked the if I could play the ES 135 hanging high up on the wall. He got a ladder and handed it to me, I could tell it was a no right away, too big/heavy.

Then I asked about the Gretsch hanging next to it, what year it was...he grabbed it down for me...and here we are.

new6659 likes this.
  3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Glorious! You're a lucky fella and I'm not in the least envious!:)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Henry and mrcoffee23 like this.
  4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Yes, there's no individual string length adjusting possible with the space control, although the intonation on my 6120 with just the simple bar bridge is uncannily accurate. I think I mentioned already that I suspect the zero fret contributes to good intonation by removing any possible slot cutting inaccuracies in the nut from the equation.

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Same:cool:

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Unless you can hear it, I don't think you need to worry about those types of intonation issues. Most players play with wonky intonation and most audiences don't notice (I mean, do you check intonation with your adjustomatics every time you change strings? If you do, then you might have issue with Gretsch style bridges).

With Gretsch bar bridges, you have the same issue. You check intonation on the first and sixth strings. Your fourth will be off a bit but, as I said, not enough for most to notice.

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  7. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I'm not overly picky, but some of the stuff I play has me doing bar chords up 10,11,12 frets and I can hear the intonation issue there, but not really on single note runs so much.

Fun bit of learning for me, I guess these serial numbers indicate how many of this particular model have been made, not just per year but over the life of the run. This is #18 of the Anni Jr models.

Using the wayback machine I looked at the old Gretsch site, and apparently while this was made in 2001, the model itself debuted in 2002 after NAMM. The specs from Feb. 2002 indicate 'high sensitive Filtertrons,' but they read 7.3-ish ohms, so I'm thinking still ceramic FT.

Here's the first spec list I could find (2/2002)

G6118 Jr specs 2002 pt 1.JPG G6118 Jr specs 2002 pt 2.JPG

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    You can tell the difference between pickup models by looking at the pole pieces. Here is a drawing.

I don't know about the serial numbers. My 97 has a 1214 as the last number (but they only made about 40 of them) so I always thought it meant production numbers for the year but yours is too low to mean that.
    [​IMG]

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  9. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    That's sweet! Congrats!

mrcoffee23 likes this.
  10. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I've seen a couple of variations on that image above and I've been playing head games with this all morning. Tried to loosen one of the screws to see the shape, but it spun but didn't seem to come out. However, I do think they look like the ones on the left...

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    The difference is pretty marked. One looks more or less like the top of a screw and the other looks like a cylinder with a dome top.

The drawing is based on my own guitars.

12. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    What are the body dimensions of a Jr?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.