NGD: Spectra Sonic C

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
View attachment 174278 It was this C melody that brought me here ten years ago.
I picked it up in a sort of junk shop.
Long gone but it was so cool.
USA Hamer made for Gretsch in ‘01 iirc
I think the TV models may have much better build quality!!

Actually your Gretsch spectrasonic was first commissioned by Gretsch to be built by Hamer in its boutique Arlington Heights era shop (before Fender bought hamer n' ruined the company). It is built w incredible fine woods and workmanship. Not that the rest of the Japan built Spectrasonics are less of an instrument but there is a small craftsman vibe to those early ones. Gretsch's license to use Tom Jones Spectrasonic ran out, and Tom resumed making them although he changed the spruce top that gretsch was using, to maple, and went w an ebony fretboard instead of african pauduk that the gretsch run had.

cowmoo

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2011
North Wales
Actually your Gretsch spectrasonic was first commissioned by Gretsch to be built by Hamer in its boutique Arlington Heights era shop (before Fender bought hamer n' ruined the company). It is built w incredible fine woods and workmanship. Not that the rest of the Japan built Spectrasonics are less of an instrument but there is a small craftsman vibe to those early ones. Gretsch's license to use Tom Jones Spectrasonic ran out, and Tom resumed making them although he changed the spruce top that gretsch was using, to maple, and went w an ebony fretboard instead of african pauduk that the gretsch run had.
Think these TV models have a little more class with that flame top and binding.
Defo one that got away in hindsight.